Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Professor Predicts Human Time Travel This Century

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
time is a what ?

i go with the old argument....if time travel was a possiblity there'd be people visiting us all the time from the future dressed in tin foil belt back jackets (possibly).

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This guy just wants government money to support his project

The key to this concept is contained in the following excerpt:

" With a brilliant idea and equations based on Einstein’s relativity theories, Ronald Mallett from the University of Connecticut has devised an experiment to observe a time traveling neutron in a circulating light beam. While his team still needs funding for the project, Mallett calculates that the possibility of time travel using this method could be verified within a decade.

A bunch of snake oil bull s***.!! And YOUR tax dollars no doubt, from some stupid endowment or government grant! No way! I say it is IMPOSSIBLE. Now back to a re run of STAR Trek.:eek: :rolleyes:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
No, of course they wouldn't,.........

herringbonekid said:
time is a what ?

i go with the old argument....if time travel was a possiblity there'd be people visiting us all the time from the future dressed in tin foil belt back jackets (possibly).

.....wear their own tin foil suits. They would wear vintage clothes to blend in!:)

Bebop

Practically Family
I have always wanted to travel back in time so I could predict the future and be thought of as some kind of wizard.lol Imagine what telling people the outcome of everything from ball games to assasinations to medical breakthoughs would be like. Not to mention the betting on sports. There would be studies of my brain preformed at universities.:D

Andykev said:
A bunch of snake oil bull s***.!! And YOUR tax dollars no doubt, from some stupid endowment or government grant! No way! I say it is IMPOSSIBLE. Now back to a re run of STAR Trek.:eek: :rolleyes:

If you never try you never succeed! Most government spending on science comes to nothing. But the few things we learn make it all worth while:

Who'da thought 25 years ago that we would achieve teleportation? Well, it's been done. The quantum computer is just around the corner ... pending funding ;)

bk - beaming up.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Baron Kurtz said:
Who'da thought 25 years ago that we would achieve teleportation? Well, it's been done.

Can you please link me to more information? I'd like to know more.

Sitting here at my computer, surrounded by iPod, Cel phone, Tivo, etc., knowing that I can walk thanks to modern medical techniques, that nearly-blind folk can be given 20-20 vision, and that we have cracked the human genome and are very close to duplicating any specific human, well... I think just about anything will be possible in the future. Anything.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
penfencer said:
First stop: the 1939 New York Worlds Fair and a visit to the Westinghouse exhibit to see Elektro the Westinghouse Motoman and his dog Sparko.

Just be sure you're ready to "pay your fare" fighting in a war! Unless you want to cop out and set the dial for 45...

running joke with my coworkers: Whenever they read aloud a news article about some depraved voilent act, I respond, "Wouldn'tve happened back in the 40s... Gonna build me a Time Machine..."

Besides who needs to give that guy funding, when they already show up on eBay from time to time

_f2_130_101_8479926_1115053406810_time_1.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
So that's a time machine???

Cousin Hepcat said:
Just be sure you're ready to "pay your fare" fighting in a war! Unless you want to cop out and set the dial for 45...

running joke with my coworkers: Whenever they read aloud a news article about some depraved voilent act, I respond, "Wouldn'tve happened back in the 40s... Gonna build me a Time Machine..."

Besides who needs to give that guy funding, when they already show up on eBay from time to time

_f2_130_101_8479926_1115053406810_time_1.jpg

As seen on ebay? I suppose you would put that band thing around your head, turn it on and tune it into the era of your choice with the knobs on the box. But what is that divining rod-looking thing for? It doesn't appear to be hooked to the box with wires. [huh]

By the way,....how much does one of these babies cost?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
As seen on ebay? I suppose you would put that band thing around your head, turn it on and tune it into the era of your choice with the knobs on the box. But what is that divining rod-looking thing for? It doesn't appear to be hooked to the box with wires. [huh]

You can see this one in use in the movie "Napoleon Dynamite"- the T-shaped stick is connected to 120v AC and placed in the crotch area... (it didn't work very well in the movie, which BTW, was hilarious)

napoleon18le.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger said:
By the way,....how much does one of these babies cost?

Put it this way.... Here's a blowup:

unclericotimemachine.jpg

Still wanna know how much they run? :)

you're probably better off just visiting the Lounge or organizing your own local vintage events when you want to time travel... (and then you can still have children)

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav