Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Black shoes for a Wedding

oldradios

New in Town
I am new to this forum and I admire it's purpose and all of the interesting postings here !

My reason for posting this is about planning what shoes to wear to my son's wedding in September. I will be wearing a white Modena shirt, black bow tie and black slacks. Now the shoes I am thinking about wearing are described here:

Sometime during the late 60's I purchased a pair of black dress shoes in the Wing Tip Style. These are the classic wing tips with leather soles and heals. I have kept them all these years and they are in great shape with the original round style shoe strings intact. They have stayed straight and flat because I always used those metal shoe stretchers inside them. I believe I bought them at a Nordstroms store so I'm not sure of the brand name.

Do you think these old but good looking Wing Tips would be a good idea to wear to his wedding ?

The dad, G.L.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Wing tips are somewhere below "formal". You wouldn't wear them with a tuxedo, for instance. I wouldn't get too exercised over it. As the father of the groom, you won't be getting the attention that your son, future-daughter-in-law, or her mother will be receiving.

If you wanted something a little dressier, I can recommend Allen Edmonds Park Avenue Cap-toe Oxfords, Fifth Avenue Cap-toe Oxfords, Vernon Dress Oxfords, or Hanover Oxfords.

Edward

Bartender
If it's with black tie evening wear (as I gather is common wedding wear in the US), the technically "correct" shoes would be a patent dress shoe, as simple as possible, or something along those lines, highly polished. That said, As Kilo has noted, most people won't notice as long as you have nicely polished black shoes on, so if you have the wingtips already and don't want to pick up another pair, I'm sure they'd be fine. I once, many years ago, wore a pair of black patterend wingtip brogues to a wedding, with full morning dress (!), and nobody batted an eyelid.

jkingrph

Practically Family
At my son's wedding I wore a black tux with my black alligator western boots. Not the real pointy toe kind but a more slender rounded toe. They looked good, and at least I was comfortable as they were custom made and I wear a 12 a sometimes b width shoe, so I could not see standing up in shoes that were no comfortable.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
As Kilo and Edward have stated above, the 'proper' shoe would be the simplest (devoid of ornamentation ) and shiniest (patent or highly polished calf). That said, considering what passes for acceptable today a wingtip wouldn't be a major faux pas.

Edward

Bartender
At my son's wedding I wore a black tux with my black alligator western boots. Not the real pointy toe kind but a more slender rounded toe. They looked good, and at least I was comfortable as they were custom made and I wear a 12 a sometimes b width shoe, so I could not see standing up in shoes that were no comfortable.

Definitely comfort is important if you're going to be standing around all day!

oldradios

New in Town
Thanks for all of your comments on my subject question.

I should have offered more information about my son's wedding plans. This will be a rather small informal affair outdoors and will be first thing in the morning. We are wearing the matching white shirts, black bow ties black slacks and black shoes. No jackets will be worn. When the ceremony is finished we will be served a group breakfast. Because of these plans I agree that my old black vintage Wing Tips will be perfect to wear.

G.L.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
If you've owned the shoes that long, have kept them in great shape, I say they deserve to be worn on such a special day.

oldradios

New in Town
The Wedding Day was perfect for the outdoor ceremony at the Fargo Zoo. Cool and Sunny morning. As the father of the groom, I wore the Modena white shirt, black bow tie, black slacks, ( no jacket ) and those old black Wing Tips. I even received one compliment on the shoes from an older lady. However after wearing them for 4 hours I couldn't wait to change them out for some comfortable deck shoes.

G. L.

oldradios

New in Town
The Wedding Day was perfect for the outdoor ceremony at the Fargo Zoo. Cool and Sunny morning. As the father of the groom, I wore the Modena white shirt, black bow tie, black slacks, ( no jacket ) and those old black Wing Tips. I even received one compliment on the shoes from an older lady. However after wearing them for 4 hours I couldn't wait to change them out for some comfortable deck shoes.

G. L.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
My choice would be a pair of plain toe military oxfords. They suit any attire or occassion. Of course, a pair of plain toe cordovans would always work as well.

G. L.

Glad to hear the day went well, and congrats to the happy couple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97