Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proppa British Brew-up

Baggers

Practically Family
Classic British Forces "char" was simple black tea if I recall.

A proper "brew up" in the Western Desert of World War 2 consisted of filling your Bengazi Burner (the lower cut off half of a used petrol flimsy) with sand, then adding petrol and lighting it with a match. Fill another cut off flimsy with water and set it atop the burner. Add tea leaves and wait for it boil. When it boils, take it off the heat, tap the side several times with your spoon to make the tea leaves settle, add sugar and evaporated milk, and dispense into mugs and/or mess tins.

Later in the war, instant tea with sugar and powdered milk formed into small blocks was developed for individual use and was made a part of the 24 hour ration, but the original issue was small tins of tea leaves and condensed milk and sugar in loose or lump form depending on the size of the unit and origin of the rations.

Cheers!

ETA correction to the ingredients. The memory can be a bit dodgie at times.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Voila' !!

BrewUp2.jpg
BrewUp.jpg

dixon 'Typhoo' cannon

James71

A-List Customer
Not much has changed. During my time in the USA my biggest trial was not being able to get a decent cup of tea. Due the ridiculously litigious nature of the society there nobody is game to serve boiling water, and as any good tea drinker knows (even a poor colonial boy like me) you have to make tea with water on the boil.

Baggers

Practically Family
Just the job! Look at the "patina" on that mug being hoisted on the left! And I'm also very curious what the gent in the middle is holding. Looks like the same type of can in which I've bought brake fluid. I wonder what they used them for in 1940?

As an aside, That's a Vickers light tank in the background. A quick little bugger, but with paper thin armor and only machine guns for armament. A friend of mine sent me a picture of himself standing in front of one being used as a gate guardian in Iraq. I told him he could name his own price if he could sneak it back home!

And Typhoo is the very brand I use myself.

ETA: Just looked in the cupboard and all I have at the moment is some P&G Tips. Drat!

Cheers!

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
Baggers said:
Just the job! Look at the "patina" on that mug being hoisted on the left! And I'm also very curious what the gent in the middle is holding. Looks like the same type of can in which I've bought brake fluid. I wonder what they used them for in 1940?
(Remainder Snipped)

Unless I miss my guess, Sir, that is a RAB! Refreshing Adult Beverage. In the 40's, beer was often canned using that style container - screw-off cap and no can opener required. A 1940's "pop top", as it were.:beer:

Tom

Baggers

Practically Family
Thank you Sergeant! The British Army received a weekly beer ration when available so that makes perfect sense. Hmmm, something else to start looking for to add to the collection...

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sgt Brown said:
Unless I miss my guess, Sir, that is a RAB! Refreshing Adult Beverage. In the 40's, beer was often canned using that style container - screw-off cap and no can opener required. A 1940's "pop top", as it were.:beer:

Tom

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from here that looks like a Heineken label on that beer can!

-dc

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:

That's quite a well known photo of NZ soldiers taking tea immediately after capturing this German trench. I think it's a great shot and sums up the British and Commonwealth attitude to tea and when it's needed.

Great photos Paddy, thanks for posting them!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Kiwi's...

Yep, it's a great photo (iconic now) of the Kiwi's during the Great War. Amazing what a cuppa can do actually. Not so much the 'tea,' but the whole ritual makes you slow down and contemplate, focus, gather yourself, it's a reassuring ritual that makes you think of safer/happier times in the kitchen at home, with friends and family, bond with others...etc

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
Yep, it's a great photo (iconic now) of the Kiwi's during the Great War. Amazing what a cuppa can do actually. Not so much the 'tea,' but the whole ritual makes you slow down and contemplate, focus, gather yourself, it's a reassuring ritual that makes you think of safer/happier times in the kitchen at home, with friends and family, bond with others...etc

My family definitely has the idea that a cuppa will fix anything. And of course there's the good old cuppa tea and a lie down ;)

You're right though Paddy, the ritual is part of it and I think there's something which evokes family feelings whenever I make a cup or a pot. I suppose ever since we're nippers we remember mums, dads, aunties, grannies, etc pottering around the kitchen brewing up the tea, and that's a comforting memory in itself. I can't imagine going a day without tea, I'd go potty.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Miss Sis you look FANTASTIC!! I would loved to have been a volunteer at the YMCA Teavan- I work out at (and am a member of) the YMCA! :) :) :)

Miss Sis said:
Paddy, where are you finding all these pics of me??? First is recently at Chartwell, the other, I'm not entirely sure, but a while ago as the chap who owned the teavan is now sadly no longer with us and it has gone to a new home.

P.S: Tea! Luvverly stuff! 'The Cup that Cheers'.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Yes yes, Paddy, I heartily agree!! Pouring myself a cuppa right now (its morning here) of some nice Assam...

"Where would I be without tea? I am glad I was not born before tea."
PADDY said:
Amazing what a cuppa can do actually. Not so much the 'tea,' but the whole ritual makes you slow down and contemplate, focus, gather yourself, it's a reassuring ritual that makes you think of safer/happier times in the kitchen at home, with friends and family, bond with others...etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy