Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pros and Cons of Inner Cloth or Leather Hat Sweat Band

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I purchased a panama that arrived w/ a cloth band. I can send it back to have it replaced w/ a leather band for $10 or a roan band for $15.
Should I leave it as is, or send it back.
Which band should I choose? I am not really sure what a roan band is?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Roan is a specialty sheepskin that is thinner, softer, and more absorbent than most leathers. Its main use today is in custom bookbinding, but it has always been a standby in hat making.

Roan makes a comfortable, flexible sweat, but there can be life and durability issues, especially if it is exposed to unusual amounts of perspiration.* It is vulnerable to drying and cracking, and needs regular conditioning to last its longest.

The choice of cloth, roan, other leather, or synthetics depends on your personal comfort and the frequency of use your hat will see.

*Speaking personally, if you perspire heavily as I do, no sweatband is really perfect. There's always the issue of how much moisture is leeched via absorption to the hat ribbon (where it's especially destructive) or the body, vs. how much perspiration is actually encouraged by the sweat material. To tell the truth, leatherettes are the least comfortable for me and leech a lot of moisture to the hat ribbon, but they do last the longest.

Last edited:

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Hey Fletch, is that Ames Iowa?
Yes, I sweat alot and that is always a concern of mine regarding wearing a hat and ruining it w/ sweat stains. Sounds like a plain old leather is the way to go?

vinnypolston

New in Town
I have never had a roan band before so I can't say on that. I will however say I own several panama hats; some with cloth and some with leather. I much prefer the leather as it seems to hold better to my head when a big gust of wind comes by! Just my 2 cents though.

job

One Too Many
Cloth sweat bands soak through. I agree that a leather band sticks to the skin making the hat more secured to the head.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a very definite size consideration when comparing cloth to leather sweatbands. I have a few Borsalinos in 7 1/8 in both cloth and leather. Consistently, I find that the Borsalinos with cloth band hats are loose on my head, whereas the leather ones are a little tight, sometimes far too tight. Case in point: I bought a beaver Borsalino with lambskin band at 7 1/8, and it was always too tight. Then buying next beaver Borsalino, from Delmonico, and also with a lambskin sweatband, I ordered up one size, and it fits. Long story short, if your hat fits with the cloth, I think you'll make it too tight with leather.

Last edited:

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I am gleaning from the input that leather is the way to go.
Negatives for the roan: this type of leather may require more regular cleaning and possibly resizing from shrinkage, from time to time.
Positives are: better or tighter fit, more comfortable on the head, and more traditionally correct.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Strange . . . I tested it just after posting, and it worked fine then.

Anyway, it was merely the results of a search I did within this forum. Use the Advanced Search feature at the top of this page, type in "Sweatband Material", and select "Show Titles Only." Pages of sweatband-related threads will appear.

:)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Cloth vs. Leather sweatbands.

Very mixed feelings. The cloth seems a bit more comfortable when its really hot and I'm sweating lightly but if I'm sweating heavily the sweat goes right into the ribbon. The leather on the other hand seems to be less permeable and blocks the excessive sweat rather than just absorbing it.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I had debated this when choosing between a Montecristi Panama and a less expensive Cuenca with a cloth sweatband. I felt that the cloth would be more comfortable, but now I had a thought that the slight stickiness (for lack of a better word) of a moist leather sweatband might help keep it on my head in all but the stiffer winds.

Andy

RJR

A really personal choice based on your experience re sweat,wind and overall comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael