Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pugaree

fmw

One Too Many
It is a hat band. Like any other hat band, its primary purpose is to hide the sweatband stitching. Secondarily it add fashion to the hat.

barrowjh

One Too Many
The history of the pugaree was explained in a thread here, but I'm not sure if that is your question. Here is why I use them - to add a 'school color' for a game-day white hat.
White hat -
IMG_1453.jpg

Dressed in crimson -
IMG_1456.jpg

'nuther white -
Picture7.jpg

dressed with same pug -
Picture8.jpg

For some hats the pugaree is the ribbon, and for other hats the pugaree is a means of temporarily changing the ribbon, so it is a style thing.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yup, Big_e, that's a good idea. Every boater I have ever tried on has felt really awkward, stiff, unyielding to the shape of my head, so I don't have any of those. However, you illustrate the same basic idea - a very light (white or close thereto) hat that can look significantly different with a change of pug, so one hat and a half-dozen pugs and you have a half-dozen hats, much more versatile. I have used pugs on some of my straws also. In fact, I have thought about buying some spare pre-made ribbons because it is generally easy to slide ribbons on and off of the straws. Or, I need different width pugs as well as different colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael