Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchasing a summer canvas hat

jml90

One of the Regulars
I've decided I want a hat to protect me from UV when on the beach this year. Though I have Italian complexion I burn like what I really am Irish. So I've decided to get one of the following: Tilley Ltm6, Tilley Th4, or a Barmah.
So which would be the most comfortable in the sun?

Aaron Hats

Vendor
The Tilley LTM6 provides great UV protection and weighs 4 oz. The TH4 also has great UV protection and weighs 5.6 oz. This one can look a little dressier as the hemp has a linen look to it. As far as Barmah, it depends on which style. If you're looking at one with a mesh crown they're very comfortable but you obviously loose some UV protection on your scalp.

Good luck.

Shademaker

New in Town
The reason Tilleys work so well is that sewn in thin closed cell foam in the top of the crown and the entire brim. If you have ever worn a boonie hat, you found out that they are blazing hot because there is no insulation on top. It is just the fabric layer.

I have not tried the hemp Tilley but I do agree that it has a very nice look. My hands down favorite for the real heat are the nylon versions. I have three or four canvass and three or four nylon Tilleys. The good thing about Tilley is the incredible guarantee. I wore my first LT5 for several years most every day. It was smashed in backpacks beat around in several countries and all manner of backcountry, slot canyons and many mountains. I hand washed it about 200 times. The inner lining finally tore in about three places just above the sweatband at the forehead. I packed it into a USPS Priority envelope with a short letter with some photos included and sent it off to Tilley. Later that same week in a USPS Priority mail package, I found a brand new Tilley LT5 at my doorstep. No charge what so ever. Those are the kind of folks I do business with.

They are supremely comfortable hats. I have a couple of nice fur felts for cold weather but the Tilley is truly a do it all hat for the active traveler/outdoors enthusiast. I might have to get one of those hemp models.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It has already been said but I have to reiterate "Tilley Endurable". The hemp line was added last year, I do not own one but the UV blocking power of hemp is great. Mildew does not grow on hemp either. I have thought about buying one but my Cotton is holding strong so I feel no reason to replace it or buy another yet. I have been wearing there product for 12 years. I have taken them to Alaska, Mexico, UK, USA, Switzerland and half way across Canada. The only reason I own two is they improved the design enough to warrant buying a new one. My first one was a T3, the only problem with the hat is the brim has problems keeping its shape. I have a T5 and am very happy with it. It keeps it shape better because it has foam in the crown as well as in the brim. That's my two cents worth anyway.
Johnny

phre7

New in Town
Gotta love a Tilley!

I have a Tilley LTM3 AirFlo. I use this hat a lot. I have about 20 hats to choose from, but I find the Tilley on my head more often than not. I know nothing about the other brand you mentioned. I'm sure you won't be disappionted with a Tilley. They are well worth the money!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner