Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality non-leather outerwear brands?

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Filson has high quality jackets and coats. Been in the clothing business since the Alaskan gold rush in 1898 or so. You could find traditional designs from them, but nothing military.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I wouldn't discount some of the more common sellers :

Schott ( Ive had a 740N Peacoat for 15 plus years and it's a winter saviour and NEVER DATES :D)

Carhartt ... angain some of their designs may be a little high street and industrial ... but some very fine bargains to be had.

Alpha Industries ... watch the sizing but some really good mil and non-mil jackets ..

just my tuppenth worth :D

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll plug those into Rakuten, as they list the measurements on there, and in my experience it's a straightforward ordering process. Even better when there are multiple stores selling the same item, to check if the measurements from multiple stores are identical/nearly identical. Seems a lot of this stuff sells out really fast though!
BTW, don't forget to take into account the 8% tax when comparing prices. Some of the shops do offer tax free shopping which means they will deduct the 8% in the final bill which is usually already included in the price on Rakuten.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
BTW, don't forget to take into account the 8% tax when comparing prices. Some of the shops do offer tax free shopping which means they will deduct the 8% in the final bill which is usually already included in the price on Rakuten.

Thanks!

I forgot all about the "search inside this store" feature on Rakuten. Seems it's a good way to see a full range of brands.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
You're already conssdiering Aero - I can highly recommend the Aero Waterfront. Lovely alternative to leather for Spirng / Autumn.

And yes Edward I had several looks at the Waterfront. It's a short A-2 length jacket though, correct? Yours looks good. Schott makes a similar one in red plaid, but I much prefer the green.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The AA line also has a cloth B-2 but then B-2 may be too short for you.

Yes, SO nice. Probably too short. IMO the B-2 is one of the best looking leather jackets out there. That's a whole other arena I really like. Lost Worlds B-2, Aero Thunderbay (no inner shearling though), Eastman Air Comfort. I'm a big fan of those oversized mouton collar creations.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
And yes Edward I had several looks at the Waterfront. It's a short A-2 length jacket though, correct? Yours looks good. Schott makes a similar one in red plaid, but I much prefer the green.

Ah! Yes, it's basically a wool A2, less he epaulettes. If you're looking osmething longer, it's not your birdy. I like the Schott too, but I agree; there's something special about the green. It does occur to me that if Aero could be persuaded (not sure if there might be issues with the size of the wool - don't know what width the roll is...), a Barnstormer or a Shawl-Collar, sheepskin-lined Barnstormer in that stuff would look amazing.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Ah! Yes, it's basically a wool A2, less he epaulettes. If you're looking osmething longer, it's not your birdy. I like the Schott too, but I agree; there's something special about the green. It does occur to me that if Aero could be persuaded (not sure if there might be issues with the size of the wool - don't know what width the roll is...), a Barnstormer or a Shawl-Collar, sheepskin-lined Barnstormer in that stuff would look amazing.

You wrote about the notion of Aero using Locharron tartan for their Waterfront. Big PLUS ONE there. Could you imagine picking any tartan pattern for one of those? That would be unbelievable!

Funny you mention the Barnstormer. The thing looks overwhelming to me, but some of the pictures as worn really look great and not over the top! I'm actually really into that one, as it's really a marvel. Not sure about the waist belt though, as I seldom wear anything buttoned or zipped up. I imagine it's like a perfecto styled jacket. You wonder if you can pull it off, but when you put one on, you realize you can...

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
They're great. I just wish they did another version of it with another 12" or so in length. I fancy the idea of a brown one with a wool blanket-lining for wearing over a suit in Winter. Maybe a mouton collar to it as well... long mouton a la Manfred van Richthoffen... I know what you mean re the belt hanging if you wear it open a lot. I suppose maybe you could just not wear the belt, or buckle it across the back?

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
They're great. I just wish they did another version of it with another 12" or so in length. I fancy the idea of a brown one with a wool blanket-lining for wearing over a suit in Winter. Maybe a mouton collar to it as well... long mouton a la Manfred van Richthoffen... I know what you mean re the belt hanging if you wear it open a lot. I suppose maybe you could just not wear the belt, or buckle it across the back?
LW makes a nice long leather trench (something the Baron would've probably been proud to wear).

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 17548
LW makes a nice long leather trench (something the Baron would've probably been proud to wear).

Stuart, despite being such a curmudgeon, does make beautiful stuff. Unfortunately it starts to get lethally expensive once you're paying out shipping to the UK plus +/-25% tax on top of that total (including the shipping). That is a gorgeous coat, though, in the photo you posted. Looks like a lovely hide - great colour.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Schaefer Ranchwear Mesquite jacket. A short jacket intended to be worn with tucked in shirt...haven't got around to it yet :)
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24