Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question #329j-2b

swaviator

New in Town
I have a fedora that I inherited from my father. It is a Penny's Towncraft, XXX, black with fine edge binding. It seems to be of high quality. The fur felt is very soft and smooth. The brim is just a hair over 2 1/8", and it is my size. I wear it often but my question is, who made it?

Also, how does one determine if they are an oval, long oval, etc?

Thanks!!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
probably the Frank Lee company - they made the Penny's Marathon, but I can't say for sure on the Towncraft line.

from the sticky
The Frank Lee Hat Company, located in the hat-making center at Danbury, CT, Lee was probably the most prolific producer of hats for private labelling . . . such as the economic JC Penney’s Marathon line and Brent for Montgomery Wards; their own brand ran from mid-grade to fine quality.
Usually the wider the ribbon on a Lee the higher the grade of the hat (but not always as is the case, as is seen in the thin ribbon on the Lee 100). Lee considered its base $5-7.50 hat (depending on the year) a "farmer hat." The farmer hat had a thin ribbon and a thinly bound edge. The sweatband and liner were not as high quality as their expensive models. As the scale went up in price the hat was a better dress hat on up to the 100.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats