Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Buzz Rickson 30s/40s Leather Flying Jacket

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have this coat (from the History Preservation site):

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/detailpop.php?uniqnum=465

If so, how does it fit? Are you happy with it?

It is a beautiful garment but it isn't cheap and the retailer seems to have a lot of rules. Bottom line is that with shipping charges and the retailer's restock fee it could cost $125 just to try it on.

Thanks

HH

Last edited:

Qinhan

Familiar Face
For what it's worth, I've never tried on this jacket, but I do own two BR jackets. One of them is a flight jacket and the other a repro navy deck jacket. Both of these fit true to size. I usually wear a size 38 and 38 in both of these jackets works great for me.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's a nice item but doesn't look much like any flying jacket I've seen. Doesn't help their case calling the look "homogenized". Worth the money? Subjective but unlikely.

CC-1

Familiar Face
BR's peacoat is a crock and a sham. I've tried on and looked over two or three coats and they don't measure up to the real thing.
With first hand experience comparing my 1944 peacoat, I wouldn't trust B/R on anything until you touch the goods yourself
regardless of their rep.

Last edited:

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Thanks folks.

I was initially put off by the "take it or leave it" approach of HPA - I don't know how many $1750 leather coats they are selling in June/July. In fact, if they had taken a more "customer friendly" approach (encouraging people to stop by their wearhouse, waiving the 4% re-stock fee, making the buying process a little easier...) I probably would have tried the coat. Add your comments to the mix and I'll let someone else tell us how nice the coat is.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thanks folks.

I was initially put off by the "take it or leave it" approach of HPA - I don't know how many $1750 leather coats they are selling in June/July. In fact, if they had taken a more "customer friendly" approach (encouraging people to stop by their wearhouse, waiving the 4% re-stock fee, making the buying process a little easier...) I probably would have tried the coat. Add your comments to the mix and I'll let someone else tell us how nice the coat is.

Too bad about their customer service. I understand that they want to ensure that their product is returned to them in good condition, would you choose not to purchase it, but they could probably, as you said, make it easier for you to purchase an incredibly expensive jacket (especially in a recession).

Rant alert! Customer service has really plummeted in the U.S. When I was a store attendant in high school, I was taught that when a customer asks where something is, always walk the customer to that product as a courtesy. When I was at a store last week and asked an attendant where something was located, not only did he not walk me to the aisle - which I can deal with - but he literally did not even look at me the entire time. And he wasn't a teenager - from whom I would expect such behavior - but a middle-aged man.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Too bad about their customer service. I understand that they want to ensure that their product is returned to them in good condition, would you choose not to purchase it, but they could probably, as you said, make it easier for you to purchase an incredibly expensive jacket (especially in a recession).

Rant alert! Customer service has really plummeted in the U.S. When I was a store attendant in high school, I was taught that when a customer asks where something is, always walk the customer to that product as a courtesy. When I was at a store last week and asked an attendant where something was located, not only did he not walk me to the aisle - which I can deal with - but he literally did not even look at me the entire time. And he wasn't a teenager - from whom I would expect such behavior - but a middle-aged man.

Well over here customer service is worse. Ask an attendant where something is and they may well answer, "I don't know" and return to texting their freind on their silly little iphone.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SUGGESTION/ADVICE:

Our very own home grown jacket maker, FISHMEOK (sorry if I got the spelling wrong), I believe makes one rather similar for far less. And he will customise it for you. So drop him a PM.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
I agree with PADDY. Mark (fishmeok) is very passionate about jackets and does great work. He made an A-1 for me recently and I was blown away by the quality. He is a pleasure to talk to as well.

Noel

chip

New in Town
Does anyone have this coat (from the History Preservation site):

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/detailpop.php?uniqnum=465

If so, how does it fit? Are you happy with it?

It is a beautiful garment but it isn't cheap and the retailer seems to have a lot of rules. Bottom line is that with shipping charges and the retailer's restock fee it could cost $125 just to try it on.

Thanks

HH

This is my first posting. I'm a long-time lurker who has enjoyed a periodic reading every now and again on many topics here, though I never thought I had anything helpful or meaningful to add to what I have read. But this thread caught my eye as one where I do think I could contribute something of benefit.

I own the coat being discussed and I have attempted to attach a photo of me wearing it but I get an error message that indicates I cannot upload the photo (any help from veteran members would be helpful).
The coat has exceeded my expectations in every way from the moment I opened the shipping box last year. This possesses every characteristic I would want from a high-end leather coat: fit, detailing, workmanship, unique styling, quality materials, etc. The hide is shrunken buffalo that's been vegetable tanned for durability, then drummed to perfect suppleness. Shrunken buffalo is more costly than your garden-variety buffalo: The hides are shrunken to increase density, tensile strength and grain per sq. inch, thus if you start out with, say, 10 sq. feet of hide and it shrinks by 20%, you are still paying for the initial consumption of the 10 sq. feet, plus the shrinking process, and the loss on the final yield by 20%.

Now as for the fit, I'm 6' 1" tall, 41" chest, and weigh about 170 lbs., so I went with a size 40 and find this to be perfect. The arm gussets and pleated back help a great deal, as does the overall cut, the armhole openings and the shoulder slope. I can layer a bit underneath or still wear just a light-weight turtleneck or other light application. But fit is subjective, so while I think this would work fine for a chest measure up to 42", others may say it's only good for a chest measure of 40".

I cannot say how many positive compliments I've enjoyed over the many times I've worn this coat, but they are innumerable. The consensus is that the overall design of the coat is clearly unlike anything else on the market at any price, and the styling is deftly executed in such a way as to be vintage without looking dated. While I personally love most vintage looks of the 1930's and 1940's, there is, in my opinion, much that is just unwearable today to most individuals because the look is too vintage, making the wearer appear as if they are in costume rather than unique, timeless style. The designers at Buzz managed to strike the perfect balance with this coat. In fact, I liked it so much, once I heard they were offering another buffalo-hide coat this year and I previewed the design back in March, I immediately placed a reserve order for this new coat in brown, too. I was told by HPA that my coat should be here in 2-3 weeks, though I am not at all waiting patiently for this to arrive after viewing the images on the HPA web site. ;-)

Regarding the restocking fees that gave HH some trepidation, if you are that concerned that you may not like it and may elect a return, then just pay with a check or money order and the only gamble you have is what you'd typically expect in mail order - postage fees and no re-stock fees.

I hope my input has been somewhat useful to you gents.

Chip

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hi Chip,

Welcome to the Lounge. Thanks for your detailed posting, which is very timely, because the new version of this coat (with the shearling collar) is just being discussed here.

It is a great looking coat. The more I look at it, the more I think it gives the Barnstormer (which I am patiently awaiting) a run for its money. Although, for my station in life, owning just one of these is prohibitive, not to mention two! Wear them in good health.

I own the coat being discussed and I have attempted to attach a photo of me wearing it but I get an error message that indicates I cannot upload the photo (any help from veteran members would be helpful).

I believe that you have to post at least 15 messages before photos may be uploaded. But do post pics when you can: customer photos are one of the best parts about the Lounge.

Philalethes

chip

New in Town
Hi Chip,

Welcome to the Lounge. Thanks for your detailed posting, which is very timely, because the new version of this coat (with the shearling collar) is just being discussed here.

It is a great looking coat. The more I look at it, the more I think it gives the Barnstormer (which I am patiently awaiting) a run for its money. Although, for my station in life, owning just one of these is prohibitive, not to mention two! Wear them in good health.

I believe that you have to post at least 15 messages before photos may be uploaded. But do post pics when you can: customer photos are one of the best parts about the Lounge.

Philalethes

Hello Philalethes!

Thank you for the warm welcome and input on photo posting. I emailed one of the moderators here on the photo subject and he didn't say anything about a min. number of posts, just that the site doesn't have enough memory to host photos from members, thus I should just link the photos from some photo-hosting site to the message. I'll give this a try now and see how it goes. The photo isn't great but it's the best I could muster since I had no one to snap the shot; I'll try to get better pics when my new coat arrives and share them.

When are you expecting your Barnstormer? Did you get any custom options/features? What hide and color? Aero seems to have numerous hide options on many jackets. I hope you had some good hides to choose from. Please post photos and opinions when you get your new toy.
Here's a link to the photo of me in the jacket that I hope works:
http://imgur.com/gylDk

Thank you and best wishes!

Chip

JanSolo

Practically Family
Here you go:

(Nice jacket with great details and good fit by the way, although the picture would benefit from better lighting and better focus. Are those Aeros on the clothes rail?)

gylDk.jpg

Edward

Bartender
SUGGESTION/ADVICE:

Our very own home grown jacket maker, FISHMEOK (sorry if I got the spelling wrong), I believe makes one rather similar for far less. And he will customise it for you. So drop him a PM.

I certainly would consider this. I own one of Marc's early jackets (I must get him that photo I owe..), and am very pleased indeed with the quality of workmanship in it. It certainly isn't an exaggeration to put it on a par with my Aeros. The Buzz is, I'm sure, also a lovely jacket; the quality of their pieces I have seen in person is superb. I've long lusted after one of their B2s and some of their nylon jackets as well, but alas they're out of my price range.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hi Chip,

The jacket looks very nice, the hide very supple. And, like Jan, I notice you have a nice array of other leather jackets to choose from.

When are you expecting your Barnstormer? Did you get any custom options/features? What hide and color? Aero seems to have numerous hide options on many jackets. I hope you had some good hides to choose from. Please post photos and opinions when you get your new toy.

It has been 16 weeks since ordering, so hopefully the Barnstormer will arrive this month - especially now that it is almost getting cold enough to wear it. There were indeed many great leathers to choose from: I settled on oil pull horsehide. The other additions are a surprise - well, at least the ones I didn't give away on other posts. I will post details when my Aero lands...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo