Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for Pomade Users

G

Gabriel

Ello!

So, I just recently got myself a hold of Dax Pomade not long ago in the mail. Upon opening up the tin, there was a LOT of pomade inside (atleast compared to the other tins I've used from target). Anyway, for the past couple days I have been using this stuff and it's really been rough which brings me to my question. How hard is this damn stuff suppose to be? When I first stuck my finger inside the tin it was like digging my fingers through a rock. Once I got this stuff on my fingers it was very waxy and rough. When rubbing it in my fingers, this stuff got all in-between my fingers and made lots of appearance when inside of my hair. Unless I got a bad order of pomade (which I wouldn't think since this stuff was unopened and brand new) is this how it's suppose to be?

Now I'll admit, the hold is pretty damn tight and looks nice AFTER it's done being styled. But the process of styling this stuff through my hair is literally a project. Perhaps the issue was that my hair wasn't wet enough when I first applied it into my hair or I wasn't using the right rubbing technique? In any case, if someone knows what the problem is or how I can improve this process then that would be greatly appreciated. Better yet, if anyone here has any good set of steps I can use for putting pomade in my hair then would even be more terrific since I'm still quite a nooby at this sort of thing.

Thanks!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
With super heavy pomades like Dax red or Murray's it's best to apply before taking a shower; wash your hair as normally; and then comb while your hair is still wet.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Ok, there is a lot to say on this subject.

1. What other pomades or hair products do you have experience with? The reason I ask this is that if you are used to using salon style 'pomades', then an oil based pomade will be quite weird at first.

2. What type of Dax did you get? There are several different types which range from basically no hold to pretty mega-ultra-super-psycho-mohawk hold.

3. How do you rub the pomade in your hands? With a lot of pomades, you need to rub your hands together pretty vigorously before the product is spread evenly and melted enough to use properly. For some heavier products, you really need to work hard to melt the pomade enough to make distribution easy enough.

4. How is your hair before you apply the product? Personally, I find that pretty dry hair is the best for me, but others much prefer wetter hair. You will likely have to experiment with this to find your best results. Also, perhaps you should try using a blow dryer at least a little. Some consider this sacrilegious, but for some people (like me) it is a necessity and my hair will not do what I want unless I blow-dry it. Even if you need wetter hair, you can blow dry and then wet your hair a bit again with your hands.

5. You may need a different product. A lot of people like Dax, but to me it is a pretty run-of-the-mill pomade. It can give great hold like you say, but it isn't as user-friendly as a lot of other products on the market. I would suggest trying out some of the better home-brewed products that are easy to remove, apply, AND style with while giving great hold. If you need a heavier hold, then there is probably no better product than Lockhart's Goon Grease. I have this and it is quite easy to scoop out, apply, and use and gives amazing hold. If you need a slightly lighter hold, then The Iron Society Firm Hold, and O'Douds Heavy are all excellent products and are all pretty easy to use (although O'Doud's is difficult to scoop out and break down). If you need just a straight medium, I have to recommend Lockhart's Medium. Pretty much everything by that company is amazing. Their regular heavy hold is my favorite pomade, but isn't quite as slick and soft as Goon Grease, but it is way easier to use than Dax and gives a stronger hold than Goon Grease.

If you really want to know more about pomade, then go here: http://www.the-pomp-official.com/home

This guy is extremely opinionated, but he really does know his stuff and has reviewed most of the major and best home-brewed pomades around.

One more thing to note is that pomade took some getting used to for me as well. There is a learning curve, but it's worth it!

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
For high hold pomades with a lot of wax, what you've described is a pretty common experience. You didn't get a "bad batch." You need to melt the wax a bit to make application easier. With the medium hold waxy pomade I use now, I find that the vigorous rubbing between my hands works. When I used Murray's years ago, the only way to soften that stuff up to get it into my hair was with a hair dryer.

Good luck washing out also - I find that a mixture of grease-cutting dish soap and olive oil works best.

Annixter

Practically Family
I concur with what others have said about the different types of Dax. It sounds to me like you might have expected a medium-hold pomade but ordered (or received) a stouter hold--almost styling wax--by accident. Depending on whether the tin will withstand being partially submerged in water multiple times, you can partially submerge it in hot water while you shower or dress to help soften up the pomade.

Personally, I use a water-based pomade for everyday needs due to the convenience of washing and not destroying pillow cases:p and then get out the classic Royal Crown pomade for special occasions, so I don't struggle much with rock-hard stuff. However, my mustache wax takes a deal of warming up in hot water followed by vigorous rubbing between my fingers before the stuff is pliable, clear, and ready for application.

G

Gabriel

1. What other pomades or hair products do you have experience with?

American Crew Pomade which was to get in the hair, (probably because I never rubbed it in hard enough) some 2 dollar walmart gel pomade that worked easier but had worse hold, and now Dax Wave and Groom Pomade. It says specifically for short hair on the front (I don't have short hair by any means, but I bought it due to the high notoriety of the product).

3. How do you rub the pomade in your hands? With a lot of pomades, you need to rub your hands together pretty vigorously before the product is spread evenly and melted enough to use properly. For some heavier products, you really need to work hard to melt the pomade enough to make distribution easy enough.

To be exact in my procedure of rubbing the pomade, I do the following: I open up the tin, dig in for some pomade, take out a "pellet" size, and rub it moderately into my hands. After doing this, I got quite a 'hard' buildup in my hands and pomade inbetween my fingers which was a pain to get out. When applying to my hair, I simply threw about 4 scoops on top of my hair and worked it in as best as I could but dealt with a rough 'retaliation' when working it in with my comb - a bit painful when my rat tooth comb would constantly stop.

4. How is your hair before you apply the product? Personally, I find that pretty dry hair is the best for me, but others much prefer wetter hair. You will likely have to experiment with this to find your best results. Also, perhaps you should try using a blow dryer at least a little. Some consider this sacrilegious, but for some people (like me) it is a necessity and my hair will not do what I want unless I blow-dry it. Even if you need wetter hair, you can blow dry and then wet your hair a bit again with your hands.

Before I apply the pomade, I usually take a shower, hop out, dry my hair to the point where it's left considerably damp (since it's hard to dry it all since it's very thick) and then begin my process of using the pomade. In regards to hair drying, I typically don't like to use the hair dryer since for one (as far as I'm aware) petroleum isn't the best thing for me to be putting in my hair in the first place, and caking that on with the hot hair dryer is just worse cake on the icing. Atleast this is my perspective.

To the break it all down I do the following:

1) Get up at an early ass hour.

2) Shower, brush teeth, shave, etc.

3) Get dressed get my clothes on.

4) Once dressed, I open up dax and apply a "half-my-thumb" or so amount and work it a little bit into my hands and deal with the rough buildup in my palms. Afterwards, that gets worked into my hair

5) Comb it with a rat tooth and non-tailed pocket combs that seem to be quite rough and slow moving and yet painful on the hair.

6) 20-45 minutes later, I'm all done after a long ass time in the bathroom. :(

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
Hi Gabriel,
welcome to the wonderfull world of heavy hair grease users...:D
It is easier to aply your heavy pomade on your hair when you put it on the radiator over night (the pomade tin, not the hair), or you use a hairdryer to soften the pomade up. Another good advice is to put a hot towel around your head for a few minutes after you`ve applied the pomade on your hair. Well,you see, the use of that stuff isn`t that easy...;)
I used Murray`s Superior and Sweet Georgia brown for a long, long time, but nowadays I`m more happy with some water based pomade like Layrite or Suavetico. My favorite is the waterbased Reuzel pomade from Holland....

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
American Crew Pomade which was to get in the hair, (probably because I never rubbed it in hard enough) some 2 dollar walmart gel pomade that worked easier but had worse hold, and now Dax Wave and Groom Pomade. It says specifically for short hair on the front (I don't have short hair by any means, but I bought it due to the high notoriety of the product).

To be exact in my procedure of rubbing the pomade, I do the following: I open up the tin, dig in for some pomade, take out a "pellet" size, and rub it moderately into my hands. After doing this, I got quite a 'hard' buildup in my hands and pomade inbetween my fingers which was a pain to get out. When applying to my hair, I simply threw about 4 scoops on top of my hair and worked it in as best as I could but dealt with a rough 'retaliation' when working it in with my comb - a bit painful when my rat tooth comb would constantly stop.

Before I apply the pomade, I usually take a shower, hop out, dry my hair to the point where it's left considerably damp (since it's hard to dry it all since it's very thick) and then begin my process of using the pomade. In regards to hair drying, I typically don't like to use the hair dryer since for one (as far as I'm aware) petroleum isn't the best thing for me to be putting in my hair in the first place, and caking that on with the hot hair dryer is just worse cake on the icing. Atleast this is my perspective.

To the break it all down I do the following:

1) Get up at an early ass hour.

2) Shower, brush teeth, shave, etc.

3) Get dressed get my clothes on.

4) Once dressed, I open up dax and apply a "half-my-thumb" or so amount and work it a little bit into my hands and deal with the rough buildup in my palms. Afterwards, that gets worked into my hair

5) Comb it with a rat tooth and non-tailed pocket combs that seem to be quite rough and slow moving and yet painful on the hair.

6) 20-45 minutes later, I'm all done after a long ass time in the bathroom. :(

You might need to rub it a bit harder, but really, Wave and Groom is pretty darn hard. I really think you might want to try an easier to work with product.

The other products you used are quite similar to what I used and can partly explain why Dax is such a shock for you (just as it was for me). There are several great products that are much easier to use and still offer an amazing hold.

I find it easier to apply my pomade to lightly damp hair, so maybe try drying your hair a little bit more.

@historyteach: I wouldn't say that about Iron Society Firm. It balls up a bit at first, but it is incredibly easy to work in the hands and it really isn't the strongest hold. It is a fantastic product, but there are many that hold much stronger.

Also, you might want to try applying your pomade before you get dressed. For a lot of people, it gets easier to work with after it has been in the hair for a little bit.

I hope some of this helps.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
You might need to rub it a bit harder, but really, Wave and Groom is pretty darn hard. I really think you might want to try an easier to work with product.

The other products you used are quite similar to what I used and can partly explain why Dax is such a shock for you (just as it was for me). There are several great products that are much easier to use and still offer an amazing hold.

I find it easier to apply my pomade to lightly damp hair, so maybe try drying your hair a little bit more.

@historyteach: I wouldn't say that about Iron Society Firm. It balls up a bit at first, but it is incredibly easy to work in the hands and it really isn't the strongest hold. It is a fantastic product, but there are many that hold much stronger.

Also, you might want to try applying your pomade before you get dressed. For a lot of people, it gets easier to work with after it has been in the hair for a little bit.

I hope some of this helps.

I don't have the experience with all of these max holds you guys have used; Iron Society holds my hair in perfect shape so I have never needed anything more firm

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I don't have the experience with all of these max holds you guys have used; Iron Society holds my hair in perfect shape so I have never needed anything more firm

Well you just put it perfectly right there. Iron Society holds your hair in perfect shape. I find that Iron Society and O'Doud's heavy holds aren't extra strong, but offer fantastic control. I find both of them extremely easy to work with, though sometimes I do need something a little heavier.

I wasn't saying IS is bad at all, I love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred