Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question for you barbers out there...

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
How can I get the gunked up Murray's off of my combs? Is there some sort of liquid that I can soak them in? I was wondering if that blue liquid at barber shops (I believe it is called "Barbicide") is only a disinfectant, or if it can dissolve this stuff. Please don't tell me that I have to hit it with a firm bristle toothbrush...:( Thank you!

Better life in modern times thru Chemistry.

I'd try some stuff that works as a degreaser, such as Dawn dish detergent and fairly warm to hot water. Perhaps try Formula 409 or maybe even Simple Green.

Don't forget to rinse well and repeat as necessary.

Jovan

Suspended
I know it's not historically correct, but wax-based hair products like Headwear Styling Goo, etc. tend to remove better and work just as well for slicking back and shining hair. Plus it'll hold longer.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
Buy 5 or 6 combs and keep them in rotation. Clean the dirty ones with dawn dishwashing soap and hot water. To completely remove all the gunk use a rounded point tooth pick to dig all that stuff out. Make sure you get all that gunk completly off the comb or it will end up in your hair.

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Thanks for those suggestions! Someone messaged me and suggested this stuff...
32929653.jpg

http://www.shop.com/op/~King_Ship_Shape_Comb_Brush_Cleaner_2_lb_-prod-32929653-42841922?sourceid=298
Have any of yall ever heard of this? I guess it's precisely what I'm looking for, I just don't know if it actually works well...I've never seen it in a store either, but it's apparently made by the same people that make Barbicide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24