Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question: Golden Era leading men and women?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I'd like to get a real feel for the Golden Era in cinema. Who were Hollywood's leading men and women between around 1932-1950?
And what are some good movies--both greater known and lesser--you'd recommend? I just really want to get a feel for the era in cinema.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I heartily recommend William Powell and Myrna Loy. They are not often heard of today but they were big in the thirties.

They made a lot of movies together including the Thin Man series of comedy/mysteries from 1934 to 1947, screwball comedies like Double Wedding, Love Crazy and I Love You Again, romances like Evyline Prentice and Manhattan Melodrama.

Another William Powell movie that has been reproduced a lot on DVD is My Man Godfrey, a terrific screwball comedy with Carole Lombard and great character roles for Eugene Pallette , Gene Dixon, and Misha Auer.

All these movies are available on DVD.

Last edited:

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I have Manhattan Melodrama and I liked it a lot. Gable (possibly my favorite actor ever) and Powell were great in it.
I'm basically into anything except musicals. I like Comedies, Action films, Adventure films (detective stories/mysteries/spy stories etc), Romance films, B-Movies and swash-buckler films, dramas etc.

If it's a musical, it'd be something along the lines of The Gold Diggers of 1933. Something with sass.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Not directly answering the question, but a great place to get a feel for cinema is to go watch the movies from 1939, widely considered the greatest year of American cinema.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy