Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question

android

One of the Regulars
In my opinion, dark grey is the most useful all around color and should probably be your first hat.

Unless you wear primarily all earth tones, then go with a medium to dark brown.

Victor

One of the Regulars
I wear alot of earth tones so started with a dark brown. Maybe a grey would be a good next hat. Black also seems to be very versatile and goes with many clothes

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Queer eye for the straight guy

I found this at the above site on hat colors.

The color of the suit or outerwear will determine the color of hat required. Furthermore certain colored hats will suit certain colorings more than others.

Light grey goes well with fair skin, blond and brown hair with blue, navy, dark grey and black outer clothing.

Dark grey goes well with fair skin, blond and brown hair with grey and green outer clothing.

Navy goes well with blue eyes and any color of hair but particularly suits auburn and red heads with navy blue, grey, brown and tan outer clothing.

Brown suits dark and ruddy skins and auburn and red heads, although can be worn by any complexion with brown, green, olive and tan clothing. Can be occasionally worn with navy outer clothing.

Green hats should be favored by blond and brown haired gentlemen and ladies although can be worn by any color hair and is suitable with green, olive, brown outer clothing. It can also be worn with navy outer clothing.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Of course, if you're wanting to know what was done by the folks in the 30's and 40's, I've observed that brown seemed to be the standard head gear color, and in the color movies of the day, you can see brown worn over grey suits, or any OTHER color you can mention, as the hat was considered 'outerwear', like an overcoat, and didn't always have to match the suit, as the suit was seen and worn as 'inner wear', so the hat usually matched the overcoat. Did that make any sense? :rolleyes: Regards. Michaelson

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hat color

I believe the gray hat is the best all around. It goes with the grays and the blue colored suits and so on. Yes, brown was a very common color, but MOST vintage pics I have seen show a sea of black and white hats...whoops, maybe it's the film!?!?!? :p

Seriously, the gray hat is the "standard" if such a thing. I remember the "old timers" and my grandfather weraring the gray shades to blue-gray. They remain my favorite color. I personally love the "Dove Gray" with the black ribbon.

You could pull off a gray hat with the brown leather jacket, but brown is better. I suppose the brown hat would go great with the navy suit, with brown shoes.

Of course, Art wears a black Borsalino, and it will go with anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy