Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions and Answers -- General Attire

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Good idea?
Yes, an excellent idea! Please let us know how you get on.
I've just drafted a trouser pattern from 'Master Tailor Outfitter and Clothier' from the late 40s and I'm a beginner too.

Does a belt-back linen suit seem alright?
It's good to be ambitious, but make several pairs of trousers first, then waistcoats, try jackets last.
Here is the best source of knowledge on the net (IMHO):
http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showforum=26

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Yes, an excellent idea! Please let us know how you get on.
I've just drafted a trouser pattern from 'Master Tailor Outfitter and Clothier' from the late 40s and I'm a beginner too.

It's good to be ambitious, but make several pairs of trousers first, then waistcoats, try jackets last.
Here is the best source of knowledge on the net (IMHO):
http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showforum=26

Thanks for the the link. That forum is now proving to be an invaluable resource.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
So I bought the fabric, a cream basket-weave linen. Now my fingers are crossed until the stuff comes, to see whether it is actually heavy enough to make a proper suit. Now to make the actual pattern from the multi-size with alterations. From here on in, the suit shall live in the thread on making stuff.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
So, reviving my own rather failed thread (I still think it is a good idea) with a request for some advice.

My school is having an event (The Founder's Ball) to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the school (well, there are a lot of events, this is just one of them). The invite says "Cocktail" but I am unclear on what I should wear. Traditionally, cocktail attire seems to me to dictate that I wear a DJ and look awesome. However, I think that might be a little excessive for a university event which doesn't specifically ask for it. Thoughts?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't own one, but I would wear a dinner jacket to that event if I had such means. It might be seen as over-the-top, but have fun and know you are keeping a tradition alive. Were you thinking of black (or midnight blue), or white/cream?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a white jacket at the moment, so black is the only option (mine was bespoke at Sippy's in Hong Kong*)

*for someone else. So sue me. I got it at a thrift store a few years back. Fits me better than anything I could afford ever would.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Yeps I think you must be going to my alma mater in Brookland.

During my time we had similar events, if past is prologue it'll be a mixture of DJs/blacktie and day/lounge suits and ties, so I think it'll be flexible as to what you can wear.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hiya Yeps

You're not going to be amused, but here's what I found searching for "cocktail attire for men":

http://www.life123.com/beauty/style/attire/cocktail-attire-for-men.shtml

Basic Cocktail Attire for Men
By: Lisa Bower

When it comes to cocktail attire for men, there are many options. All you have to know is what is and is not acceptable-with that foundation, you can begin to build a winning ensemble.

Basically, cocktail attire for men is a balance between casual and formal. Though you want to look formal, you do not want to look too formal. Thus, keep the tuxedo in the closet and start take out a casual suit in a dark color like navy blue. If you wear a suit, make sure it and the shirt with which you wear it are pressed. If you want to be more on the formal side, consider adding a tie to the look.

Another cocktail attire option for men is to wear a pair of pressed pants with a button-down shirt. A well-fitted blazer, khakis and collared shirt is another great option for those who do not own a suit or want another option. It's important to look crisp. Make sure your clothing is ironed or has been to the dry cleaner's. Accessory-wise, try adding a pair of cuff links, a nice watch and polished or new shoes to complete the look.

Similarly, another alternative is to pair a blazer or sport coat with darkly colored jeans or corduroy pants. A turtleneck can really pull this look together. Such attire is great for cocktail events like receptions. You would never want to wear sandals or sneakers to a cocktail party or event. Similarly, shorts, even khaki shorts, are too casual for such an event.

When choosing which cocktail attire is right for you, consider both your fashion preferences and the weather. If it's hot outside, you may want to forgo a heavy suit and instead go for linen pants.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone have a source for silk/cotton/rayon (not necessarily blended) Grosgrain FABRIC?

I'm not interested in ribbon, just looking for a bit of fabric for a waistcoat's lapels. Any leads would be fantastic!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Yeps I think you must be going to my alma mater in Brookland.

During my time we had similar events, if past is prologue it'll be a mixture of DJs/blacktie and day/lounge suits and ties, so I think it'll be flexible as to what you can wear.

That's the one. That is what I was thinking, as far as dress is concerned.

Hiya Yeps

You're not going to be amused, but here's what I found searching for "cocktail attire for men":

I am not. Really? They are actually recommending "a pair of pressed pants with a button-down shirt" these days? That barely passes inspection for daily wear, much less for a cocktail party.

I think I will probably go with a suit. Maybe a colored shirt instead of my usual white. I will try it on tonight to see what works.

EDIT: I wish I had a stroller put together! I just remembered the discussion a while back approving the stroller as cocktail attire (with catalog scans to prove it). That would have been snazzy.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have a quick question, what would you consider Cocktail Attire? I know this can range from suits to tuxes, and I am curious what you would consider the standard, both in modern times and in the golden era?

I am asking because I will likely be going to an event which said "Cocktail Attire Requested" whatever that means.

Oh look, I asked the same question, in the same thread, two years ago. I need to learn to take the noob advice of using the search function.

Having just rewatched the party scene from Breakfast at Tiffany's, I think that I am going to go with a dark suit (I have a really snazzy navy blue/striped number) with a white shirt, tie, and white handkerchief. Probably Oxblood shoes. I really like brown and blue combos and this is dark enough to be worn in the evening.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think personally that will be a great look. For a college or university anything more than a coat and tie ( sport coat or suit ) will be overdressed.--John

Thanks. By the way, the suit is in my avatar pic. I don't have that tie (it was a gift to my brother that I borrowed for the shoot [ironic since I gave it to him])

Espee

Practically Family
A year ago I bought a Michael Kors shirt, blue and white striped (blue is dominant) with a white "contrast collar." I thought it would give at least a suggestion of the 1920s look, but no-- the first time I put it on with a tie, I realized the spread collar ruins that. And any BOWTIE I've tried, looks especially odd.
Could I remove the collar, or most of it, and do something with a separate collar? Where some "vintage photos" were being taken for a fee, I noticed the photographer had loose collars in the "prop box," I'd guess for temporary use of their patrons. I didn't give it much thought until now.
Where's a good place to learn about Separate Collars 101?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
A year ago I bought a Michael Kors shirt, blue and white striped (blue is dominant) with a white "contrast collar." I thought it would give at least a suggestion of the 1920s look, but no-- the first time I put it on with a tie, I realized the spread collar ruins that. And any BOWTIE I've tried, looks especially odd.
Could I remove the collar, or most of it, and do something with a separate collar? Where some "vintage photos" were being taken for a fee, I noticed the photographer had loose collars in the "prop box," I'd guess for temporary use of their patrons. I didn't give it much thought until now.
Where's a good place to learn about Separate Collars 101?

I think you are probably best off not trying to remove the collar, but rather to buy a shirt designed for detachable collars. Here is a thread on them, not sure if it is the best one we have, but it is the most concisely named.

As for your current shirt, I would try putting a bit more tie knot in it. I know that is not what you are going for, but a spread collar with a Windsor knot can look really good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran