Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions for those who own White's Nomads Engineer Boots

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
I sent my measurements to Kyle over at Baker Shoes as I am considering go with a pair of White's Nomads. I have a couple of questions for those who own a pair of Nomads before putting in an order.

1. CXL or smooth leather? I will be wearing these boots for both daily wear and riding my Harley. I really like the look of CXL black leather but am worried that they'll be too soft and get jacked up on the bike (shifting, etc).

2. Double or single midsole? I've never owned a boot with double midsoles so not sure if they'd be too stiff, tall, heavy, etc. Thoughts for comfort?

3. How big is the opening of the upper? I heard that they are a bit wide. Can they be ordered with a thinner opening?

Thanks!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hello friend! I too have a pair of White's on order, however the Packer's with mini-Vibram soles. Have you ever owned White's or Nick's boots? If not the arch-support is truly extrodinary! The leather itself is very thick, however for the model you are looking at it's probably 5-6 ounce, where my Nick's and my White's on order are both 7.5-8 OZ. If it's the thicker leather you won't have to worry about it softening up too much for your bike.

Also while not wearing the J106 very much yet, I can say I'm very excited starting to get it broken in this fall - thanks again, I am glad to see it on your avitar.

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
Hello friend! I too have a pair of White's on order, however the Packer's with mini-Vibram soles. Have you ever owned White's or Nick's boots? If not the arch-support is truly extrodinary! The leather itself is very thick, however for the model you are looking at it's probably 5-6 ounce, where my Nick's and my White's on order are both 7.5-8 OZ. If it's the thicker leather you won't have to worry about it softening up too much for your bike.

Also while not wearing the J106 very much yet, I can say I'm very excited starting to get it broken in this fall - thanks again, I am glad to see it on your avitar.

Glad your still you're still loving the J106! It is a beautiful jacket and if it had fit better it'd still be in my closet.

I have never owned a pair of White's before but I've heard good things. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the single mid-sole, but still debating the CXL or plain smooth leather. From the pictures I've seen of other's CXL White's it looks like the leather is very soft and gets beat up fairly quick, so I'm leaning a bit towards the smooth black. Not really excited about dropping so much coin on a pair of boots, but Red Wings won't work for me, and the Chippewas have too high of a heel. I'm looking at the Nomads with the lower heel for my flat(er) feet. We'll see when Baker's gets my tracing and gives me a call.

All the best,
Brent

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hey Brent, I just looked at the Nomads (also called Engineer boots - there's a whole seperate thread on here for these) and I only saw the smooth and Rough-Out leather. The rough-out is a lot like distressed suede, probably not what you are going for. If these are your first White's I think the single mid-sole would be enough, a double mid-sole might be too much. While I enjoy Red Wing's and have even toured thier factory just a few hours north of me, I am very taken with the Whites & Nick's products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic