Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R.I.P. Inventor of Colt .45

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. I always just assumed that name referred to the revolver. The idea being that the brew had a kick. Maybe it was meant to convey both. I guess I'll have to have a Colt 45 in his mempry.

Actually, I am willing to bet that the original receipe was changed a long time ago.
For those that have brewing knowledge you may recognize in many "malt" liquors the wang flavor you get from putting too much sugar in the wort trying to get a big alcohol kick.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Wow, he worked at a lot of breweries in his day. And I think Heileman's the only one still somewhat kicking anymore.

The demise of the medium-sized brewery is a tragedy. More so that even when their famous brands live on, the recipies are often changed by their new owners to have broader appeal.

I applaud the micro breweries who take up the old recipies (when they can) so that locals can taste what their grandparents drank.

-Dave

I agree 110%. I'm in Wisconsin, we used to have hundreds of breweries, every town, even the smallest ones had a brewery, maybe even more than one. There were hundreds before Prohibition and I believe the number of breweries was 33 in 1949. So many of the big guys, i.e Pabst, Schlitz, Blatz, Anheuser-Busch, G. Heileman, Miller, etc. bought them up in this era. And it happened again in the 1970's and again in the 1990's. It's pretty well Anheuser-Busch and Miller now.

The demise of the medium-sized brewery is a tragedy. More so that even when their famous brands live on, the recipies are often changed by their new owners to have broader appeal.

I applaud the micro breweries who take up the old recipies (when they can) so that locals can taste what their grandparents drank.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80