Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Radio Days (the movie)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
One of the best "Golden Age" movies ever made. Woody Allen is obsessed with the era of his childhood, and has made several great flicks set in that era. "The Purple Rose of Cairo" is also wonderfully well done.
One thing I like about "Radio Days" is that not only does he have great interiors, but he found a neighborhood in the Rockaways (I believe) that still looks enough like it did in the 40's to be usable for exteriors.

JoePreppyPauper

New in Town
Radio Days complimentary films

If you liked Radio Days, you should check out Brighton Beach Memoirs, the first of Neil Simon's autobiographical plays that were adapted to film. Biloxi Blues and Broadway Bound are the other two. Also, My Favorite Year is in a similar vein.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Each of these has some very special moments - the ones I've seen, anyway. But bear in mind that they're comedies. (Altho they're all semi-serious, with My Favorite Year perhaps the least so and Biloxi Blues the most.) Each one is built on caricature and gloss, mostly thru the looks and dialogue of the characters.

They're also all drawn from pretty much the same social milieu, that of their highly perceptive but ultimately self-centered creators. Woody and Neil worked in the same TV bullpens in the 50s, putting them (years later) in a highly influential place. Not just as to what makes us laugh, but our imagination of the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace