Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF Flight boots Photos (Repro or Not Repro...that is the question!)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
These are two pairs of RAF flying boots that I have chosen to photograph.

Which pair is original and which reproductions?

Then again...

It could be that they are both actually repros.
Or...both are originals???

So..what do YOU think? and WHY?

If you have photos of your own RAF flying boots then, please feel free to post them here!! :eusa_clap

RAFBOOTS003.jpg

RAFBOOTS002.jpg

RAFBOOTS001.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I believe the wellused 1936 pattern boots are the replicas - even believ they are Aero.
My pair has the same brown leather pullon straps inside.
And "the seams" are the same. The curve on the strap too.

The other pair looks so strange, Clayton Hutton Escape boots ??? - that they very well could be original;)

Here are my new replica 1936 patterns together with some other RAFstuff
L1010107.jpg

mikepara

Practically Family
Yeah, the 1936 boots are fake / repro the 'tongue' is too rounded..but they look good.

The 1943 escape boots are 1st class and if fakes/ repro then well done on an excellent pair. Even the off centre zip seems correct

Got any 1939 web top strap ones?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Dr Pedant strikes again...

I hate to be pedantic (can't help it), but Clayton Hutton (or MI9) escape boots had leather uppers and a centre zip with a strap like 1936 Pattern boots. These fine escape boots are the later 1943 Pattern.

Alan

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The 1943 Escape boot are original. I don't believe you can get repros of these anyhow. The 1936 pattern boots are much harder to identify as repro or original. I would suspect they too are original judging by the thickness of the soles! Would be pleased to be proved wrong!

Marq

Familiar Face
They ain't real ,i have a real pair and they don't look like that.They are more like Spitfires boots.I'm gonna ebay them soon and see what they go for..................Paul

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Year, but the thing is, that my boots (from Aero) and Paddy's have exactly the same rounded "tongue" as Mikepara spotted right on.

The only original exampel I can find right now is in Mick J Podger's book: Luftwaffe vs RAF. The "tounge" on the originals seems to be less rounded and a bit higher.
Anyway: I love my boots...:)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spitfire said:
Year, but the thing is, that my boots (from Aero) and Paddy's have exactly the same rounded "tongue" as Mikepara spotted right on.

The only original exampel I can find right now is in Mick J Podger's book: Luftwaffe vs RAF. The "tounge" on the originals seems to be less rounded and a bit higher.
Anyway: I love my boots...:)

You are correct. Have just checked on page 143 of Prodger!

celtic

A-List Customer
either way, the pair on the right would make wonderful cold weather motorbike boots...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Paddy told me, my boots looked too new. Actually the photo was done with the boots right out of the box...now, step 1 of the breaking in process is almost over.

L1010121.jpg

More to follow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit