Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF greatcoat

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Hello
This my first thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before...
I want to buy an authentic WW2 raf greatcoat. It's hard finding an original in my size 42. There are plenty non ww2 but I need one with a belt etc so have been looking for repros. Anyway came across http://www.replicaters.com/ww2rafuniforms.html No picture but I emailed and they say they have them in stock. Does anyone know what they're like regarding authenticity/material/cut etc? Or does anyone know where they might be available elsewhere. Thanks for your time..

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Stephen1965 - There has been written a lot about replicaters on this forum - both positive and negative.
Personally I have never bought anything from them, so I will let others do the talking.
(You might try to search around a bit in the Outwear section - or anything related to WWII clothing, boots etc. - for posts regarding Replicaters)
Good hunting.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Just to point out that OR's greatcoats didn't have a belt. Officers coats usually did, but most RAF officers bought their own coats in WW2 and, although they conform to a general pattern, you can see detail differences.

Some civilian coats from the period are close enough in cut and texture (I have one myself) to modify with buttons and a buckle. Many people take two post-war ORs greatcoats and have the sleeves modified and a belt added to make an officer's coat. If you had this done, I don't see how anyone can say yours 'wasn't accurate' for the above reason - not that this would stop some re-enactors I have met from doing just that. I've had original WW2 items criticised for their lack of authenticity!

I assume you frequent the RAF re-enactors' forum on Network 54?

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
thanks

Thanks very much to you both. I've been looking at the network 54 forum site and will definitely join. Thanks for that. I'm new to reenacting idea and the forum looks very good. If I get hold of what I'm after through either customizing/getting original ww2 or replicators I'll maybe post a picture if it's appropriate. Either way I really appreciate your replies.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Remember that the WW2 officer's private purchase coat would probably be made from barathea or some similar 'finer' fabric than the serge ORs greatcoat. Some of the companies who produce replicas clearly don't know this and make theirs out of OR serge.

If you're getting serge anyway why pay extra? Some people modify a post-war Warrant Officers' greatcoat. They are reasonably common and have the same basic features (e.g. belt and epaulettes). The main difference is the cuffs. Postwar ('new pattern') WO coats have split cuffs with two buttons (also a throat latch on the inside). To get an acceptable WW2 officers' cuff, buy a coat that is much too long in the arms, remove the buttons, sew up the split and the button holes (carefully) and turn up the cuffs. Sew up the slits in the back seam that the belt passes through, stick on some brass KC buttons, and a brass buckle. The front and collar are slightly different, but I think they are close enough and the whole modification will be much cheaper than a coat from India. I have just seen a WO coat for 20GBP - add another eight or ten quid for the buttons and five or six for the buckle.

Bear in mind that other re-enactors will criticise your coat and point out where it is innacurate, but they would do that anyway, even if you turned up at an event wearing AVM Tedder's old coat with WW2 soup stains on it. Re-enactors criticise - it's what they do.

Vince

New in Town
Your Kind Patience Please!

H.Johnson said:
Just to point out that OR's greatcoats didn't have a belt. Officers coats usually did, but most RAF officers bought their own coats in WW2 and, although they conform to a general pattern, you can see detail differences.

Some civilian coats from the period are close enough in cut and texture (I have one myself) to modify with buttons and a buckle. Many people take two post-war ORs greatcoats and have the sleeves modified and a belt added to make an officer's coat. If you had this done, I don't see how anyone can say yours 'wasn't accurate' for the above reason - not that this would stop some re-enactors I have met from doing just that. I've had original WW2 items criticised for their lack of authenticity!

I assume you frequent the RAF re-enactors' forum on Network 54?
Would greatly appreciate you emailing me please! Many questions! Vince email:vasp@optonline.net

Vince

New in Town
Swedish Great Coat Great Idea!

To Mr. Johnson and his idea of transforming a Swedish Air Force coat into an RAF great coat is sheer genius!:eusa_clap Even if one spends 35 quid for the coat, the fit and color is almost perfect -without going to India! My chief problem is GETTING what I require from the UK back to me in the States,-but not to worry! post by boat solves that problem!

Cheers!

Vince;)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Vince

I'm not sure where the idea of using a Swedish greatcoat came in. My recommendation was to use a post-WW2 RAF officers (note that) greatcoat, which already has a belt, and modify (i.e. turn up) the cuffs to WW2 pattern. Make sure you have enough length to start with. Good luck.

This is what you should be aiming at:
RAFGreatcoat.jpg

It's a Fl/Lt's coat - note that higher ranking officer would have a barathea coat.

Vince

New in Town
Thank You Kindly!

Dear Mr. Johnson:

I appreciate your reply and the photo! Indeed a photo is worth a thousand words! Wish I could have seen the back of the coat. Would like to email you sometime I've got loads to ask! Kindly let me know if this is possible!

Cheers!

Vince;)

RayR

One of the Regulars
Vince

I'm not sure where the idea of using a Swedish greatcoat came in. My recommendation was to use a post-WW2 RAF officers (note that) greatcoat, which already has a belt, and modify (i.e. turn up) the cuffs to WW2 pattern. Make sure you have enough length to start with. Good luck.

This is what you should be aiming at:
RAFGreatcoat.jpg

It's a Fl/Lt's coat - note that higher ranking officer would have a barathea coat.

I know this is late for this thread, but I must add to the conversation for future readers. I have done a lot of research on this and to the best of my information, Those turned up cuffs came after the war until today (Officers coats). In the early part of WW2 there were split cuffs with 3 working buttons...as in this 1946 RAF Squadron Leader's Coat made by Gieves, Ltd., London

frontformal1.jpg

2011-12-11_00-36-32_783.jpg

I recently sold a Crombie RAF Officers Greatcoat dated 1956 which had turned up cuffs, and a half belt on the back with 2 brass buttons (one on each end)

RayR

One of the Regulars
[\QUOTE]I recently sold a Crombie RAF Officers Greatcoat dated 1956 which had turned up cuffs, and a half belt on the back with 2 brass buttons (one on each end)[/QUOTE]

BTW, the post war design had the soft epaulettes also, just like in the previous photo, fyi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo