Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF Pilot wings - padded???

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I have seen it several times on e-bay: "WWII RAF Pilot Wings - Padded."
Were they in use during WWII - or was it just for the brass?
Or something that came later. One should believe, that there were no time for fancy stuff like that in wartime.
Or maye it was only for the VA's - didn't they love red silk lining in their jackets too?
Can somebody solve the mystery?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
The pilots didn't make these...

I have an original WWII set of RAF wings that are padded. It just means that they've got a little wadding behind the crest to make them stand out. Since the UK pilots didn't wear silver wings like the Yanks did, this made them a little more visible. (Remember, RAF wings in silver or bullion are NOT WWII vintage... they may be post or pre war, but not during the conflict.)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hej Spitfire-

Yes, they were in use in WW2- the padding is sandwiched between the badge and a gauze backing. I've seen it on US embroidered pilot wings too.

The padding gives the badge a more 3D effect.

The SAS and Paras had them-all branches with this type of badge could have had padding. I had a pair of post war RNZAF wings which were padded too.

B
T

Cobden

Practically Family
Padding was also common for theatre made wings; the one's I have on an officer's were made in Palestine (I believe) and are padded...

RAAF

New in Town
RAF Wings

During WW2, official issue wings -- i.e. those handed out to newly minted pilots at passing out parades, etc -- were of the non-padded variety.

Padded wings were a private purchase thing. In most cases, the padded wing is just an issue wing with an extra backing layer added in which some type of padding material has been added to create a 3D effect. Padding often consisted of small coins, bits of wool, etc. The additional backing layer was then sewn over this material.

Postwar wings of the 1970s era seem to all be of the padded variety.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Well if you wanted red silk inside your uniformjacket - like many of the "weekend fliers" in the VR had - why not a padded wing?:)
(But I must admit - the padded wing I urchased the other day looks asolutely great!):D

mikepara

Practically Family
Bullion?

Zemke Fan said:
(Remember, RAF wings in silver or bullion are NOT WWII vintage... they may be post or pre war, but not during the conflict.)

Silver RAF Wings, any period any crown most definitely Sweetheart Wings.
Bullion? Every picture I've ever seen of even the Highest Ranking Air Commadores in their best cerimonial uniforms wear normal Pilots RAF wings. So Bullion wings a Phantasy / Fantasy item?
Even HRH Prince Charles in this link.

http://newsfromrussia.com/world/2005/09/18/63113.html

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
As far as I know, Mike...

The bullion wings were primarily for Mess Dress. See:

Eagles Recalled: Air Force Wings of Canada, Great Britain and the British Commonwealth 1913-1945 (Schiffer Military History) (Hardcover) by Warren Carroll.

0764302442.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056484288_.jpg

Bullion wings DO exist. I have two STELLAR examples in my own collection.

Cobden

Practically Family
I've seen them on Mess Dress and Full Dress (I don't think this exists any more for the RAF); I think if the rank insignia is bullion, then the wings are too

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ah-ha my first post here!

Hope I'm not too late with this...

Padded wings were the standard pilot qualification badge worn on either SD or BD depending on the period during the War. Bullion badges were purely for formal mess dress which was virtually never worn by operational squadrons once the War had started.

Also Spitfire, the red silk linings worn inside SD was an affectation by 601 Sqn of the Royal Auxillary Air Force ("The Millionaires' Squadron") not the VR, and wasn't seen after the Battle of Britain.

HTH,

Smithy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters