Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF SERVICE DRESS UNIFORM HELP PLEASE!

Vince

New in Town
I am a rather "Portly" Colonel "Blimp" size 52 regular and am looking to find a modestly priced 4 pocket officer's "barathea" uniform and of course would like a RAF great coat. I wondered if anyone purchased the one from Sanjisuri (Replicator's in India) and were they happy? If not who would you reccommend? Also I am game about modifying an inexpensive RAF postwar great coat-details please-such as how to fabricate the belt, and alter the cuffs and rear split of the coat. I am 6 feet and about 235pounds. Much appreciated!
Cheers!:eusa_clap
Vince

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Vince, I've been contemplating the same thing, trying to get one made by Sanjay at Replicators because I too am a size 52 and WPG's four-pocket tunics tapered inversely to my taper. As a result, I went with their tropical khaki drill belted bush jacket and KD trousers for the time being. What Price Glory does have the RAF Battledress tunic in sizes to 52L and BD trousers to size 46 if you want to try that route.

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
I had a WAAF cap made by Sanjay at Replicators and it was so bad I had to rip it apart and make a new one. It somewhat resembled a WAAF cap, but it was a complete disaster. I hope he knows men's RAF uniforms alot better than he knows women's RAF uniforms! I suppose you could try to get a uniform from Replicators and keep your fingers crossed that he gets it right, at least its relatively inexpensive, but I would say its also a gamble since I saw first hand how awful his work is. My husband has WPG's service dress and I would recommend that over Replicators after seeing the quality (or lack thereof) of both company's work.

After a complete reworking of the WAAF cap, here's what it ended up looking like...
usthunder.jpg
[/IMG]

Vince

New in Town
Many Thanks!

Yes, I can see I perhaps should stear clear of Replicator's and perhaps find an ORIGINAL RAF #1 Service dress uniform-perhaps two and have my tailor mate them together as he has done for my "Ike" jacket and American Army Air Corps summer Dress uniform. I guess it is just a question of where to find some #1 officer's WWII dress uniforms-UK wise!

Cheers!

Vince:)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Service Dress Uniform

Slightly off topic, but slightly related.

I am trying (without much success) to rid my self of the accumulated clutter of some 40 years worth of vintage clothes collecting prior to retirement 'downsizing'. It doesn't seem to be working, however.

I was in my local surplus shop yesterday when I spotted a new item on the rack. An as-new, definitely unissued ( I had to open up the button holes)1945-dated RAF War Service Blouse ('battle dress') by Montague Burton Ltd (Leeds). Absolutely undamaged, no mothing and only slightly dusty. The price on the ticket? 12.99 GBP. I asked the nice lady if that was really the price and she replied that the supervisor had told her to make it that. Who were we to argue?

But there's more. As I was paying, she pointed out that there was a pair of matching trousers 'in the back' that she hadn't got around to labelling and putting on the rack. Could I see them? They were equally good, but by John Hammond (1923) Ltd. Not quite matching, then - a shame that. I asked how much they were and she told me that since 'the supervisor' hadn't given her a price she would have to give it a price for the trousers (according to policy) of slightly less than the jacket - would 9.99GBP be OK? Yes. it would.

An uniussued war service battle dress uniform for less than 23.00GBP. Not quite my size (I'm a Size 10, this is a Size 11) but I'm not fussy. Now, where am I going to put it?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Only a little, Ben. The timing isn't good, though. I was thinking that I would have valued this more a few years ago, before I was 'drummed out' of RAF WW2 re-enactment (after a long struggle) for being 'too old'. I recently dispersed my RAF collection. I haven't got a clue what I am going to do with the WSD uniform, beyond possibly wearing it as fancy dress at a few open-air 'Spitfire Prom' concerts next summer.

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
RE-SALE

THE BEST THING YOU COULD DO WITH THESE PIECES WOULD BE TO OFFER THEM TO FELLOW MIDLANDER, ONESELF, WHO IS ALSO AN RAF "RE-ENACTOR", WHO WOULD SHOW THEM THE RESPECT THAT THEY DESERVE, WHILST DISPLAYING THEM TO AN UNEDUCATED PUBLIC.

filfoster

One Too Many
RAF Battledress in Bomber Command sizes

George Petersen at National Capital Historical Sales, Inc. in Virginia can have anything made in real Barthea in any size. Nice quality made in Thailand. Ok, it's not Hong Kong but nice workmanship and linings and buttons. Any rank is available.

Vince

New in Town
To Filfoster

Sir, I read with great interest your remarks about the gent in Virginia that may be able to help me. I have obtained a #1 RAF Service Dress uniform that is Barathea cloth and DEFINITELY in need of additional"expansion!" could you provide further details on how to contact him?

Cheers!

Vince
vasp@optonline.net[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24