Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rakuten's cheap vintage sweatshirts ?

Doug C

Practically Family
Hey guys I looked through the sweatshirt threads and could not find what I was looking for so I'm going to see if any of you mugs now what I'm talking about. A couple years back (it must have been that long by now), I remember reading a thread about vintage sweatshirts and one guy spoke up and mentioned a generic brand of vintage style sweatshirts that he had several of, and had gotten from Rakuten... Japan atleast. I say generic, but I can't exactly remember the brand but I remember it wasn't one of the expensive japanese repro brands. These shirts had all the features we look for, wide knits, reverse weave, v-stitching, etc... and were cheap. They had no logos but came in lots of colors too. I filed a mental note way back in the noggin', figureing I'd go back eventually and get a few of these. Anyone have any ideas on which brand this may be?

Doug C

alden405

A-List Customer
The Japanese cheap brand is Uniglo/Uniqlo

they do ultra simple,no label,no logo basics

hope that helps

if you want to have a look at some flash stuff try Cushman,John Lofgren of Speedway Shop in Sendai stocks it

The cushman stuff is awesome and i wouls suggest going up one size in it
(im a medium in US built stuff but the Japanese stuff runs small

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks for the tips Alden, I did a quick search on the uniqlo sweatshirts and found nothing.. of course maybe they aren't produceing them anymore or I just need to spend more time on it. For some reason, I'm thinking that wasn't the brand... but that's just a feeling I have, maybe because I always associated uniqlo with our Gap stores and I didn't mentally connect it with the sweatshirts that I remember from that thread. Would you have a link to John's Speedway shop that you mentioned above? I like cushman's items too.

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks, the sweatshirts are nice if not more expensive than I was looking for BUT, shoot I may have to spring for one of those sweet hats.

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
Pablocham, THAT"S IT, WOOHOO !! Man, that's exactly the add I remember. But like Mattfink pointed out, not so cheap [huh] , these must have gone up in the last year or two... I'm remembering them closer to $35-$45. Shoot ! Thanks for the link.

Doug C

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Doug C said:
these must have gone up in the last year or two... I'm remembering them closer to $35-$45.
The difference is probably due to the exchange rate, rather than a price hike--the way things are here, it's hard to imagine anyone wanting to risk price hikes.
The exchange rate has gone up (or down, depending on one'e point of veiw) about 15% in the last couple of years--from around 105yen to the dollar, to around 90yen to the dollar. That's pretty big.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doug C said:
Pablocham, THAT"S IT, WOOHOO !! Man, that's exactly the add I remember. But like Mattfink pointed out, not so cheap [huh] , these must have gone up in the last year or two... I'm remembering them closer to $35-$45. Shoot ! Thanks for the link.

Doug C
Sounds silly, but check Old Navy. They have (had?) solid V insert sweatshirts that looked pretty good.

Doug C

Practically Family
LaMedicine said:
The difference is probably due to the exchange rate, rather than a price hike--the way things are here, it's hard to imagine anyone wanting to risk price hikes.
The exchange rate has gone up (or down, depending on one'e point of veiw) about 15% in the last couple of years--from around 105yen to the dollar, to around 90yen to the dollar. That's pretty big.

Very good point, I'm sure you're right about that. I have a tendancy to see a price in yen and simply imagine (in my head) a decimal point moved over one place to the left to roughly equal the dollar amount.... but I've been doing that for a while, knowing it's not accurate but just a ballpark that fluctuates. Saves going to a currency changer everytime.

Flat-top, I actually bought a couple of those Old Navy vintage style sweatshirts a couple years ago. They a really nice in my opinion, I love the French Terry material of them, much heftier than anything they have now (I checked). I've got one in the oatmeal color that I am dyeing black as we speak. Will post before and after pics later.

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24