Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rancheros Visitadores 1951 W/graphics by Joe De Yong

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
002pjr.jpg

003ksx.jpg

004il.jpg

005udd.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
Congrats; Even figuring the hardware was sterling, I backed out after learning that the inscription was burned into the felt; figured someone closer than Upstate NY would appreciate it more. Looks super clean. Who's Joe DeYong?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Rancheros Visitadores

image118e.jpg

In September 1926, De Yong moved to Santa Barbara, California ostensibly to learn bronze casting from Ed Borein. On October 14, Russell died and Joe would thereafter live in California. While in California he renewed his friendships with Will Rogers and Tom Mix. Earlier he also met and befriended the Western actor, William S. Hart. Regarding Hart, De Yong wrote, "I kind of feel sorry for him - He seems like a big kid." But for several years following Russell's death, De Yong's career had its ups and downs. He continued illustration work for covers and magazine articles. He even designed and illustrated personalized Christmas cards.

The mid-1930s provided another variation on an art career theme for De Yong. In 1934, he joined the annual ride of the Rancheros Visitadores, which included southern California businessmen, ranchers, stage, screen, radio, and political celebrities. Each May the group covered 100 miles on horseback or stagecoach, bunking at ranches along the way. In 1936 through the Visitadores, De Yong met John Fisher, the business manager of Cecil B. DeMille, the motion picture director. A seeker of realism and authenticity, DeMille had been looking for a technical advisor for his new motion picture, The Plainsman, starring Gary Cooper. DeMille's search ended with De Yong, who was hired as costume designer and frontiersman/Indian expert. Thus, he embarked on a second career in the motion picture industry, that of scenario research consultant, which would continue through 1967. De Yong's filmography includes Wells Fargo (1937), Union Pacific (1939), North West Mounted Police (1940), Tall in the Saddle (1944), Buffalo Bill (1944), The Virginian (1946), The Big Sky (1952), and El Dorado (1967).

001xyl.jpg

Phil A. Banks

image115wc.jpg

image116eg.jpg

image117q.jpg

Last edited:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Joseph Franklin De Yong was a western movie extra, a cowboy artist, protégé of Charles Marion Russell (Montana's cowboy artist),

THE COWBOY HAT BOOK by Reynolds and Rand shows a photo of a Rancheros hat and Joe De Yong

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
Wow, VERY cool. I gather all the photos came along with the receipt etc.? Glad you know what you got; it would have been wasted on me...at least until my copy of the Cowboy Hat Book arrives with my Rand-rehabbed Churchill...then I would have been enlightened and enheartened.

frussell

One Too Many
Nice score. If that hat hat been listed as a Rancheros item, it would have sold for much more, especially with the Joe De Yong provenance. Vintage Rancheros items are highly collectible in California, and the club has had many high profile members, like Edgar Bergen, Walt Disney, Ronald Reagan, Phil Harris, etc... I've been around a lot of Joe De Yong art, and some of it is top-notch. Frank

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Wow, this brings back memories. I've attended a couple of their rides as a guest. As far as I know they still do a public ride every year to the mission Santa Ines, which is pretty darn impressive- hundreds and hundreds of riders.

I dig that vintage nutria hat they used to wear. Nowadays it's 99% straw cowboy hats.

Neat find and perfect for Pai day. It looks like you scored that great whipstitched edge detail from Feltfan's 5XCB too.

As we say in the trade - nice!

frussell

One Too Many
Those hat pins are great, but to wear on a fedora ribbon, you either need to bend the pin or cut it off shorter, as it's about 2" long. Clint Orms does excellent silver work, and is highly recommended, as well as being a genuinely nice guy. Frank.

TipTop

Practically Family
Frank, I fall short of a "collection" of his stuff, but have several buckles, sets, etc. When I bought my first used set on ePrey (I was buying the gator belt, and she referenced something about "a stamp on the back that says Orms engraving" I couldn't Buy it Now fast enough for about $85. It arrived with the dress-weight buckle a bit contorted from years of wear/yanking but still gorgeous, and so I called down there for repairs, his main gal couldn't have been nicer. Indeed, I asked about having a matching tip made up while they straightened the buckle. Not only did they match it up (though long since out of stock), but mounted it and sent the whole deal back to me like new, for about $85.....making that tip about $35! I have since become a big fan of his work and have fallen into several pieces at distressed store-closing prices; which in today's metals market are still stratospheric.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Rancheros model hat by Stetson...30's-mid WWII

J.H. MOHR. is written on the sweatband in ink. I'd always wondered if this hat was produced for the club. I now see that the graphics of the rearing horse are indeed that of the club, right down to the RV brand on it's flank.
western005.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
Vic - is that one you own, or just found photos of? Great stuff. The Rancheros have worked with several western wear stores over the years, and have lots of branded items. I love that hat, a classic. Frank

westerncollector

New in Town
If you ever want to sell the hat let me know

Hello....I am a member of Rancheros Visitadores and came across the hat you purchased...if you ever decide to sell it please let me know as I would be interested in buying it from you....also interested in the other items that you received so keep those in mind as well....thanks
Brett
syvhome@yahoo.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy