Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raoul Wallenberg officially declared dead.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After all these years, the Swedish Tax Authority has officially declared Raoul Wallenberg dead.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37824692

Of course, Mr. Wallenberg is widely praised for his heroic work saving tens of thousands of Jews from the Nazis and their Hungarian sympathizers during WWII. While serving as a Swedish diplomat in Budapest in 1944, Wallenberg issued protective passports and hid Jews in buildings designated as Swedish territory under diplomatic protocols. After the Red Army captured Budapest, Mr. Wallenberg disappeared, presumably swept-up by the Soviet secret police. His ultimate fate remains a question mark.

As a casual observer of the Wallenberg mystery over the years, I could never really understand why the Soviets grabbed Wallenberg. I've heard that he came from a wealthy family and was therefore regarded as a "class enemy", but --to me-- that doesn't nearly begin to explain it. Seems kind of thin. Perhaps my fellow Loungers could fill me in or share their theories.

At any rate, rest in peace Raoul Wallenberg. I am humbled by the example that you set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot