Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rare Stetson "IMPERIAL" Open Road

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Jimmy the Lid wanted some pics of my Stetson "Imperial" Open Road, so here they are. Stetson Imperials are fairly rare, though I'm sure some other folks here on the lounge have some, but they are definitely not as common. I got this one with the original box about 6 years ago before everyone got into collecting them. It's in New Old Stock condition. I put the DC3 pin on it just because I had an extra pin and wanted to be on a hat. Also as you can see, it was made in Canada. Not sure when that would date it, maybe some of you know and can fill me in.
IMG20071102_20050101_0001_26.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_25.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_24.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_27.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001.jpg

This picture has it sitting next to my Stetson 25 Open Road for comparison.
IMG20071102_20050101_0001_28.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_29.jpg

regards fedoralover

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful indeed. It looks like one difference between that and other of its contemporary Open Roads is a slightly wider brim-binding ribbon.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Very nice. Of course, then we have to ask: What does "Imperial" mean? Now we are right back to wondering what the heck Stetson's quality designations really even mean again.LOL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's not so complicated. Imperial was a prior name for 3x quality (though I believe that the two did exist at the same time), and makes sense with the Royal, RD, and Sovereign names. Note the price at which it was offered, right where 3x would appear on the same list. 3x had been around for quite a while already, so it probably had a pretty good reputation.

1954 Imperial
stetsonimperial1954.jpg

Last edited:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
It's not so complicated. Imperial was a prior name for 3x quality (though I believe that the two did exist at the same time), and makes sense with the Royal, RD, and Sovereign names. Note the price at which it was offered, right where 3x would appear on the same list. 3x had been around for quite a while already, so it probably had a pretty good reputation.

1954 Imperial
stetsonimperial1954.jpg

Lefty, thanks for the ads. I'm still wondering about the "Made in Canada" though, anyone know about this?

fedoralover

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty, thanks for the ads. I'm still wondering about the "Made in Canada" though, anyone know about this?

fedoralover

Rich -- thanks for posting the Imperial OR.

A few observations....

As far as "Made in Canada" goes, one of my previous posts may address your question:

From Snyder's Stetson Hats and the John B. Stetson Company:

"In 1935, as it became increasingly difficult to market their hats overseas, Stetson began setting up plants in other countries to thwart the tariff restrictions. Their first foreign plant was located in Canada. Stetson "acquired a substantial interest" in the Wolthausen Hat Corporation in Brockville, Ontario. One of the largest manufacturers of men's fur hats in Canada, Wolthausen producing [sic] Brock hats and other lines known throughout the Dominion. These continued to be produced, along with Stetsons. It was the first time Stetson hats had ever been produced outside of Philadelphia. Other foreign branches were soon opened in Mexico, Australia and elsewhere."

So, Stetson essentially established a manufacturing presence in Canada. This may explain why national advertising came to emphasize "Also Made in Canada." [I wonder whether this ultimately explains the substitution of the "leaf" for the "stars" in the Stetson logo, as well...]

The other thing that seems to be established by some previous discussions here is that Stetson quality designations were used on Canadian models well beyond the associated timeframe for their use on domestic models. [For example, I have a Canadian-made Stetson "Select" Stratoliner -- which certainly post-dates the use of the "Select" quality designation on domestic Stetsons. Dinerman has also offered similar observations].

With regard to the "Imperial" designation, it appears that there was a period of time in the late 40's/early 50's where "Imperial" and "3X Beaver Quality" were both in production at the same time. The "Imperial" designation seems to have tapered off after the early 50's. The one exception seems to be the "Imperial Bantam", which continued to be marketed as such until at least the mid-50's, as the Stetson ad posted above confirms.

Cheers,
JtL

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all the info Jimmy. So from that would you say my Imperial is from the early 50s? It would be nice to know in case I ever decide to sell it.

regards fedoralover

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all the info Jimmy. So from that would you say my Imperial is from the early 50s? It would be nice to know in case I ever decide to sell it.

regards fedoralover

First -- is that a plastic liner tip protector, or is it oil silk? Hard to tell from the photos/flash...

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
First -- is that a plastic liner tip protector, or is it oil silk? Hard to tell from the photos/flash...

Pretty sure it's oil silk, I checked my Stetson 20 Sovereign and they're exactly the same and I know from the hat ads that the Sovereign is from 1950 and 51. Would that make them approximately the same era?

fedoralover

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Pretty sure it's oil silk, I checked my Stetson 20 Sovereign and they're exactly the same and I know from the hat ads that the Sovereign is from 1950 and 51. Would that make them approximately the same era?

fedoralover

Let me approach it this way. If we knew that this was a Philly lid, then it would be very safe to say that your Imperial Stetson OR dated to circa early 50's. More precisely -- in the 1952-1953 range, based on the presence of the oil silk protector. Since your lid features the Stetson logo with the leaf -- as opposed to the stars -- it would likely date to around 1952 at the earliest. But, I don't believe that we have seen an oil silk liner protector beyond the 1952-53 range -- and we know that, by 1954, plastic protectors were in use.

So, the only real mitigating factor here is to consider the extent to which Stetsons made in Canada may have differed from their American-made cousins. My guess is that, all things considered, the latest dating on this lid would go to circa mid-50's.

So, in terms of educated guesses -- I think it is very fair to say that, in all likelihood, this lid dates to the early/mid 50's range.

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner