Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raymond Chandler 'hard boiled' plays on BBC Radio 4

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
Been listening to some great 'hard boiled' CLASSIC CHANDLER plays on the British radio station, BBC RADIO 4. If you go onto their website, you can listen to the one's that have already been played.
Put a search on 'classic chandler.'

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
Very very good!

Radio always can touch our imagination much more than Tv. I like this.

I really enjoy listening to a radio play whilst doing something else. I think radio takes a bit more concentration than TV but you're 100% right, it really does touch the imagination.

Long live radio drama!

martinsantos

Practically Family
Philip,

Maybe because the listener create the caracters, places, clothes, and so on... Each listener is "the boss" - except for the script and sounds, of course...

I really enjoy listening to a radio play whilst doing something else. I think radio takes a bit more concentration than TV but you're 100% right, it really does touch the imagination.

Long live radio drama!

martinsantos

Practically Family
Great link! Thanks! Now I'll have fun for a lot of time! :D

(and trully a "double time" - I need to listen each program twice to get all. Not very good in listening in English...)

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
Just be aware that the programs "expire" in early March :)
I like them because I can listen to them as I paint the house! Beats watching paint dry :)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the tip! Does the BBC ever make such shows available for purchase?

I have to say, I'm scratching my head at the accent Toby Stephens is using as Marlowe. As I recall it (I might have this wrong), Marlowe's a born-and-raised Californian, but this accent is all over the map.

Still, nice that the BBC is doing this.

Last edited:

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
Yes - there are BBC productions of Chandler's work available on audio CD from Amazon. (Well at least there is on their UK site).

They're published by BBC Audio Books.

Not sure whether they're the same as the ones on the iPlayer at present, but the date is 2009 so I'd assume so.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Thanks for the tip! Does the BBC ever make such shows available for purchase?

I have to say, I'm scratching at the accent Toby Stephens is using as Marlowe. As I recall it (I might have this wrong), Marlowe's a born-and-raised Californian, but this accent is all over the map.

Still, nice that the BBC is doing this.

I have the same problem with the accent; the earlier BBC Chandler adaptations with Ed Bishop as Marlowe sound more SoCal to my east coast ear. The Bishop productions are available for purchase and are worth the investment.

I'm having a little trouble with the music on these new versions too - the sound is a little too 1950ish in my opinion, like what I would expect to hear on Peter Gunn. Big Sleep/Lady in the Lake/Farewell My Lovely all take place in the late 30s/early 40s and the music should evoke that era. The score should be appropriate for the last in this first series, Playback, which came out in the late 50s.

Artie Shaw's Nightmare is the theme for the original BBC radio series, and it really helps set the tone. If you can find the Shaw recording somewhere, give it a listen.

The new series is a first-class production and I'm especially looking forward to Playback, as it has never been adapted before to my knowledge.

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I have the same problem with the accent; the earlier BBC Chandler adaptations with Ed Bishop as Marlowe sound more SoCal to my east coast ear.

Listening to earlier adaptation with Bishop now -- I agree he sounds better, but he still sounds a bit ... insubstantial?

I don't quite buy either of these guys as Marlowe, but am still having fun listening.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
The definitive radio Marlowe was Gerald Mohr in CBS Radio's The Adventures of Philip Marlowe (1948-1951), but only the first episode was based on a Chandler story - the novels were never adapted. There was an earlier series with Van Heflin that did adapt Marlowe short stories, but Heflin's Marlowe sounds old and tired to me.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
The definitive radio Marlowe was Gerald Mohr in CBS Radio's The Adventures of Philip Marlowe (1948-1951), but only the first episode was based on a Chandler story - the novels were never adapted. There was an earlier series with Van Heflin that did adapt Marlowe short stories, but Heflin's Marlowe sounds old and tired to me.
I agree about Heflin. But when Gerald Mohr stepped in they did a few of Chandler's stories..Red Wind, The King In Yellow and few more. You can find them in MP3 format on Ebay. Also Radio Spirits used to sell a CD collection of those shows. I always enjoy listening to them while on long car trips.

Regards

Kirk H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn