Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real Nutria Quality Boss Raw Edge

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Some earlier expressed interest in this hat. I can share some pics now.

Since this beauty has more brim than I can wear I doubt that I will keep it. After all, I'm not a collector. But wow! this is one incredible hat. What joy to behold. The crown is 6 and the brim is 3.5 (with the curl flattened out). It has a 6 cord ribbon and an outward facing edge binding that does not cover the Boss Raw Edge. The belly colored nutria felt is smooth and surprisingly lightweight. It's just wonderful. The brim has been stiffened a little but the crown is very soft. The sweatband and liner are among the very best I have seen. This hat is beautifully conceived and executed. Attention to detail is remarkable. In some ways this Boss Edge Nutria is similar to several No 1 Quality Stetsons that I have owned dating to the 20s and 30s. Those too were excellent hats. But as good as those were, this is a couple levels above that.

Real Nutria Quality Boss Raw Edge Kettle Finish

ea88996b.jpg

857d9376.jpg

bf5f0cc7.jpg

45b0d799.jpg

Blackburn Brothers in 1938. The store in Amarillo, Texas where it was first sold.

e327bf94.jpg

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
So, it was you! What an incredible hat. I doubt you'll have any trouble moving it down the line.

blixa00

One of the Regulars
SWEEEET!!!! Let me know if you ever think about letting 'er go...I would be VERY interested!

Chinaski

One Too Many
I'm not sure I understand this:

"an outward facing edge binding that does not cover the Boss Raw Edge."

Can anyone enlighten me? It has an edge binding but it doesn't cover the edge?

W4ASZ

Practically Family
I'm not sure I understand this:

"an outward facing edge binding that does not cover the Boss Raw Edge."

Can anyone enlighten me? It has an edge binding but it doesn't cover the edge?

I had to save the second picture and then push it out to a very large size in Picasa. That's just what it is, and I would love to see it live and in person. :cool:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Its bound on the underside of the brim only-so actually an edge trim. See the Arminto in various Stetson ads and Catalogs.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Some earlier expressed interest in this hat. I can share some pics now.

Since this beauty has more brim than I can wear I doubt that I will keep it. After all, I'm not a collector. But wow! this is one incredible hat. What joy to behold. The crown is 6 and the brim is 3.5 (with the curl flattened out). It has a 6 cord ribbon and an outward facing edge binding that does not cover the Boss Raw Edge. The belly colored nutria felt is smooth and surprisingly lightweight. It's just wonderful. The brim has been stiffened a little but the crown is very soft. The sweatband and liner are among the very best I have seen. This hat is beautifully conceived and executed. Attention to detail is remarkable. In some ways this Boss Edge Nutria is similar to several No 1 Quality Stetsons that I have owned dating to the 20s and 30s. Those too were excellent hats. But as good as those were, this is a couple levels above that.

That's a great hat, but kind of an enigma - I have a nutria with your exact liner logo on my sweat, but with a more modern logo in the liner. I also have a hat with almost the exact same sweatband logo as yours, but with a liner that is older than yours (matches the sweat). I guess yours is a cross-over between designs - that would put it at the very beginning use of that liner logo...late 1920's? (I know we've dated it, but I'm too lazy to go dig up the info.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany