Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real Panama OR. Now That's What I'm Talkin' About!

DougC

Practically Family
I just checked the email confirmation and can't tell if the hat is in stock...so, I'll wait for the shipping confirmation message. But, yeah, 5 days seems right once it ships. The really nice thing is that I can compare it to a Stetson Panama I bought in Key West 6 years ago...I have a feeling the 47 will be nicer.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I just checked the email confirmation and can't tell if the hat is in stock...so, I'll wait for the shipping confirmation message. But, yeah, 5 days seems right once it ships. The really nice thing is that I can compare it to a Stetson Panama I bought in Key West 6 years ago...I have a feeling the 47 will be nicer.
The hat is in stock and I picked it this afternoon. Hope you enjoy it.

Jeff

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Achtung Baby:

From the '14 Spring catalog it seems to be 2 3\4.

9tog.jpg

Not that I am complaining, but I just received my Original Forty-Seven in the grade 8 panama and the brim is only 2 1/2". Not the 2 3/4" as stated above.
It's a nice brisa, fairly graded w/ a true fit. The leather is >meh< for that coin, I'd like better, or drop the price & gimmie cotton...my .o2.

I'd like the gadabout as well. Any field reports yet?

I just scored 10th row floor seats to Willie Nelson and Family & Alison Krauss and Union Station, maybe I'll break it out fer that!

tommyK

One Too Many
Not that I am complaining, but I just received my Original Forty-Seven in the grade 8 panama and the brim is only 2 1/2". Not the 2 3/4" as stated above.
It's a nice brisa, fairly graded w/ a true fit. The leather is >meh< for that coin, I'd like better, or drop the price & gimmie cotton...my .o2.

I'd like the gadabout as well. Any field reports yet?

I just scored 10th row floor seats to Willie Nelson and Family & Alison Krauss and Union Station, maybe I'll break it out fer that!

How's the crown height on that?

"I just scored 10th row floor seats to Willie Nelson and Family & Alison Krauss and Union Station, maybe I'll break it out fer that! "

Dude!!! You are the man. Saw Willie in my college days about 30 years ago, what a party that was, saw Allison with the "Down from the Mountain" tour about 6-7 years ago.
Enjoy!

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks for the review, Rick. The brim width is a deal killer for me. Great looking hat though.

For some 2 1/2 might be a deal maker. I wonder if they have a full 1/4 inch variance in the brim size or if 2 1/2 is the norm?

Does it differ from the rollable?

Jedwbpm? What does your tape show?

Rick Blaine

Whoa, there

How's the crown height on that?

Right at 4"

"I just scored 10th row floor seats to Willie Nelson and Family & Alison Krauss and Union Station, maybe I'll break it out fer that! "

Dude!!! You are the man. Saw Willie in my college days about 30 years ago, what a party that was, saw Allison with the "Down from the Mountain" tour about 6-7 years ago.
Enjoy!
Yeah, buddy! I am chuffed! I dunno how many more tours The Red Headed Stranger's got left in him, eh?
Then three weeks later 6th row seats for Dolly!

Thanks for the review, Rick. The brim width is a deal killer for me. Great looking hat though.

Don't give up!

For some 2 1/2 might be a deal maker. I wonder if they have a full 1/4 inch variance in the brim size or if 2 1/2 is the norm?

Does it differ from the rollable?

Jedwbpm? What does your tape show?

I would be bettin' dollars to doughnuts these are g'wine bounce back & forth twixt 2 1/2" & 2 3/4". It has happened before, has it not? [huh]

My current question is that Del Monaco has the foldable Forty-Seven as a rollable PANAMA straw, while above we see Stetson calling it Shangtung.

Product Description
"The Stetson Forty-Seven Foldable Hat is a Stetson original, a beautifully woven Grade 8 panama straw hat in a classic shape with a 2 3/4 inch brim that can be snapped down in the front. Unlined, this handsome hat can be carefully folded and packed, making it the ideal travel companion. Dress it up for special occasions or wear it to the beach for a classy way to keep off the sun."

...whatsup Jeff?

Last edited:

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
My current question is that Del Monaco has the foldable Forty-Seven as a rollable PANAMA straw, while above we see Stetson calling it Shangtung.

Product Description
"The Stetson Forty-Seven Foldable Hat is a Stetson original, a beautifully woven Grade 8 panama straw hat in a classic shape with a 2 3/4 inch brim that can be snapped down in the front. Unlined, this handsome hat can be carefully folded and packed, making it the ideal travel companion. Dress it up for special occasions or wear it to the beach for a classy way to keep off the sun."

...whatsup Jeff?[/QUOTE]
Sorry about that we will have to fix that listing. We brought in the foldable Shangtung because a lot of our customers are looking for packable hats we will have that fixed soon.

Jeff

Rick Blaine

Sorry about that we will have to fix that listing. We brought in the foldable Shangtung because a lot of our customers are looking for packable hats we will have that fixed soon.

Jeff

As I figured as the price is more consistent with shangtung.

It still leaves menshats.com to reconcile substantially inaccurate copy regarding the disparity between 2 1/2" & 2 3/4". It delights me, but it might not some.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
As I figured as the price is more consistent with shangtung.

It still leaves menshats.com to reconcile substantially inaccurate copy regarding the disparity between 2 1/2" & 2 3/4". It delights me, but it might not some.
Here is what I have learned about brim sizes. Brim size is an Average, and that is how it should be. a 2.5 inch brim is a lot bigger on a 6 7/8 hat then a 7 3/4 so brim sizes change to keep proportions this is just MHO. On Panamas it is more so since you are working with bodies woven by hand. So you take non anal retentive body weaver and match them up with laid back Italians and boy to you get brims all over the place.

Jeff

Rick Blaine

Careful, you might hit her chest;) But she is a great entertainer and person.
Quite right.
She has done more for this region than anyone knows.:eek:fftopic:
She has taken a logged out timber town and singlehandedly turned it into a regional vacation destination, providing income for very many people in this, a traditionally impoverished eddy in the southern Appalachians.
She has given away over one million books in the US, Canada & the UK. Any child is eligible for a free book each month from 0-5 years old.
She has an American Bald Eagle rehab & sanctuary.
She hails from a county & a town named after my 8x G'Grandfather
And she keeps the East Tennessee botox supply at record low inventories "if it sags, bags or drags, I'm gonna nip it, tuck it or suck it.."

She was awarded an honorary Doctorate at UT & she joked that from that time forward, whenever someone heard "Double D" and "Dolly" in the same sentence they would know it meant "Doctor Dolly". :drum:

Sorry f/ the gushing :focus:

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Here is what I have learned about brim sizes. Brim size is an Average, and that is how it should be. a 2.5 inch brim is a lot bigger on a 6 7/8 hat then a 7 3/4 so brim sizes change to keep proportions this is just MHO. On Panamas it is more so since you are working with bodies woven by hand. So you take non anal retentive body weaver and match them up with laid back Italians and boy to you get brims all over the place.

Jeff

Dont matter.
If the ad copy says you get a 2 3\4... that is what you should get.
Order a 2 1\2 from Art or Mike or Tony or Cane Rod or Penman or Bob or any of our other hatters and get a 3 inch brim ...see what happens.

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
my foldable forty-seven got here today. Nice hat! That is the softest Shantung I have ever seen--almost too soft; but, it is a foldable hat! Workmanship seems good--I really like the color of the ribbon. BUT-I have a pin head and ordered a 7 and this hat fits more like a 6 7/8. Before I send it back does anyone have any specific questions?

DougC

Practically Family
2 3/8th inches on the front edge. The highest part of the crease is 4 1/2 inches; the front is a tad bit under that at the front pinch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff