Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebashing my new Stetson to something less dressy...

Strabler

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I posted some images of my new Stetson Open Road yesterday morning (http://imgur.com/a/f59vC)

I'm not really into the shape of the crown though - it feels a little too dressy. I know a lot of people like to use the cattleman shape, but i'm not really into that either!

I've always really liked the look of Daniel Day Lewis's hat in There Will Be Blood, it's almost like a campaign hat, only with 3 indents and not 4. I've seen a few people on here refer to the crown shape as 'Oreanna' or 'Mountain Peak.' Would this shape translate well to an Open Road or are there any other similar shapes that I'm unaware of that people could recommend? I just want something that is more imperfect and asymmetrical.

Will be my first time rebashing a hat as well. Gonna do it with a pan of water on the stove. Feel pretty confident that I can do it but any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Definitely use a tea kettle if at all possible. Not sure how to advise you on the crease. I prefer symmetrical creases so I would be the wrong person to advise you on choosing a crease. I would just play with it and see which crease looks best on you. Let me know if you ever get tired of it and want to sell it! LOL. Again, really cool hat!

I did the same to my beater OR...
oreana1.jpg

Took it back to open crown state first. This hat had already been taken to tear drop crease from alpine/cattleman which was some doing.

Strabler

New in Town
I did the same to my beater OR...
oreana1.jpg

Took it back to open crown state first. This hat had already been taken to tear drop crease from alpine/cattleman which was some doing.

That looks fantastic. I'm going to use your hat as a bit of a guide when doing mine this evening.

Thanks guys. Will share photos later if I can!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy