Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a pair of khakis

Kostya

Familiar Face
I'm looking for something basic, a pair of khakis, plain front, kind of outdoorsish and 1930s/40s. Attention to period detail is not overly critical, but fit is important--in particular, I want a decently high rise. I can't seem to find any khakis that fit me well these days...They all seem to have been taken over by the LOW RISE craze. Why? I'm not looking for anything super high either (a split back, for instance designed to be worn with suspenders). All I want is just a basic pair of khakis that fit well and look right.

I have a pair of Bill's Khakis in original M1 forward pleat and they are OK. However, I'd like to try some others. Preferably something commercially available and not a special order / custom item that I can't return.

Any suggestions? Oh, and I should mention that it must be available in a 30 waist (30 inseam).

Mav

A-List Customer
Cabela's Huntsman Chinos. Not fancy, expensive, or particularly stylish, but a good fit and they wear well.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mav said:
Cabela's Huntsman Chinos. Not fancy, expensive, or particularly stylish, but a good fit and they wear well.

Hi

My newer Cabela's khaki's have better material in the pockets. Being serious about keys, knives, and change, this is a WELCOME improvement. I only hope that the tax increase in the KC Suburb's (9.25% Sales tax) doesn't effect my ordering from them. Their store is within the new tax area, and it's the only one in KS.

Later

Big_e

Practically Family
Some people may groan at my suggestion but have you tried Dickies trousers? I recently bought a bunch of them and wear them on weekends. I get the plain front and they just alittle high to me. They come in khaki, black, blue, grey (light and dark grey) and white. I get them pressed and lightly starched. They go great for casual wear and really dress up with a good sportcoat. They're made of thick cloth so they can be worn and are made to be worn for work. Check your Levines for them.
Ernest

davestlouis

Practically Family
I can't stand the way Dickies are cut...they just don't work for me. I always treat cotton pants as being disposable, it seems like the pockets and cuffs get frayed really quickly, so I've started wearing mostly wool trousers, year round.

Is Duckhead still in business? They were apparently a southern brand, with the big sewed-on patch above the right rear pocket with the "duckhead" on it...I wore some of their shorts and pants in the 80s and 90s and they held up reasonably well, haven't seen them in years.

Mav

A-List Customer
1961MJS said:
Hi

My newer Cabela's khaki's have better material in the pockets. Being serious about keys, knives, and change, this is a WELCOME improvement. I only hope that the tax increase in the KC Suburb's (9.25% Sales tax) doesn't effect my ordering from them. Their store is within the new tax area, and it's the only one in KS.

Later
Yeah, noticed that with the pair I just got. I've got the same pocket- content issues, and all that metal crap will work itself through material pretty easily. I pretty much live in Huntsmans, and their Trailhiker II's on the weekends. I don't at all like what they've done in the new version of those. Unfortunately, while I like Cabela's clothes a lot, their "improvements" are usually a step backwards. The obnoxious cargo pockets on the new Trailhikers and the complete failure on the new Serengetti shirts are a disappointment, but that better pocket fabric is definitely great.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Oxxford make some nice khakis, though not for those who are price sensitive......:eek:

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Big_e said:
Some people may groan at my suggestion but have you tried Dickies trousers? I recently bought a bunch of them and wear them on weekends. I get the plain front and they just alittle high to me. They come in khaki, black, blue, grey (light and dark grey) and white. I get them pressed and lightly starched. They go great for casual wear and really dress up with a good sportcoat. They're made of thick cloth so they can be worn and are made to be worn for work. Check your Levines for them.
Ernest

The standard cut is a little too much drainpipe, but Dickies also have a wider cut with a slightly higher rise.. I reallly like that one.. Hard to come by in the netherlands though, but I believe JC-Penny's sells them for about 30,- usd. For the price, that's hard to beat.

1961MJS

Mav said:
Yeah, noticed that with the pair I just got. I've got the same pocket- content issues, and all that metal crap will work itself through material pretty easily. I pretty much live in Huntsmans, and their Trailhiker II's on the weekends. I don't at all like what they've done in the new version of those. Unfortunately, while I like Cabela's clothes a lot, their "improvements" are usually a step backwards. The obnoxious cargo pockets on the new Trailhikers and the complete failure on the new Serengetti shirts are a disappointment, but that better pocket fabric is definitely great.

Hi

I work in an office, and wore the trailhikers for while, but ripped the cargo pockets off two pair. They catch on stuff two drawer file cabinets and tabel edges. I haven't bought a new Serengetti shirt in YEARS, what's wrong with them? I once owned a PURPLE one, jeez...

:eek:fftopic:

Later

Mav

A-List Customer
1961MJS said:
Hi

I work in an office, and wore the trailhikers for while, but ripped the cargo pockets off two pair. They catch on stuff two drawer file cabinets and tabel edges. I haven't bought a new Serengetti shirt in YEARS, what's wrong with them? I once owned a PURPLE one, jeez...

:eek:fftopic:

Later

That's the problem with the new trailhikers: that style cargo pocket. The old version had flat bellows cargo pockets, and buttons rather than velcro. And, shallow single front pleats, just to loosen 'em up a little.

The new Serengetti is a regular, standard "safari shirt," and doesn't have the two front zippered pockets with buttoned pockets on top of those anymore. They were great for outdoor stuff and travel, and I'm down to my last olive one.
Purple? Ye gads.

1961MJS

Mav said:
The new Serengetti is a regular, standard "safari shirt," and doesn't have the two front zippered pockets with buttoned pockets on top of those anymore. They were great for outdoor stuff and travel, and I'm down to my last olive one.
Purple? Ye gads.

Hi Mav, and what's WORSE is that I left it a a thrift store and someone I know bought it. It's a very light purple now. I bought it when I lived in the South, and we moved in late 1994.

Later

Kostya

Familiar Face
Dockers K-1's

Nick Charles said:
Docker K-1's are on sale at dockers.com

Do Dockers K-1's fit right, or do they just have the vintage appeal? I see tons of clothes labeled "vintage," but the fit is all wrong, mostly LOW RISE. When I try them on, the waist is loose at my natural waist, like it was meant to sag down to my hips or something.

It seems these days that many companies appreciate the period style, but then get the important things wrong--esp. the fit.

1961MJS

Hi

I quit wearing Dockers before 1994 because the local department stores didn't carry enough 34x36 dockers. I received my first Cabela's catalog about that time, they carried cotton pants in 34x36, all of the time, and at good prices. While that was before a serious gut and 15 years ago, I still buy all of my Khaki's through Cabela's. Why are the Docker's so expensive? I've had several pair of my Cabela's Huntsman khaki's for at least 4 years.

Later

Edward

Bartender
I passed through Camden Market here in London yesterday, for the first time in a long time (since they ripped the soul out of it... long story).... well, it seems there's a little more of Old Camden left than I had feared - found a great Army surplus place with some old school stuff in there. Picked up two pairs of what are apparently French army work khakis from the fifties for GBP 15 a piece (about USD23 currently). Drill cotton, button fly, no thigh pockets, two scallop-flapped rear pockets. A lot like officers' pinks / Indy's trews / Bill's Khakis M1P in cut, very pleased. One pair the right length, the other just long enough to have cuffs. They sit on my natural waist, very comfortable and true to size. I would definitely suggest keeping an eye out for these - if I can score more for myself I'd consider dying them to have in navy, black, etc.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Because this is the most recently active of the many khakis threads, I thought I'd mention here that I picked up two pairs of khakis (they called them chinos) at Banana Republic today for $20 each. They're the Gavin model (which is about to be redesigned, hence the clearance price); they also had a relaxed-fit design called Dawson at that price.

I tried a pair on -- the rise is about standard; it came to my navel. The fabric is of medium weight -- not super-heavy, but not flimsy, either. They're prewashed and soft.

I don't know if this sale is going on at all Banana Republic locations (it is online, but I found the size selection on the web site very limited), but if you're in the market, as I was, for some khak ... er, chinos, it might be worth a phone call to find out.

Feraud

Bartender
Kostya said:
It seems these days that many companies appreciate the period style, but then get the important things wrong--esp. the fit.
What companies appreciate is the money to be made by calling something "vintage" rather than what makes for a vintage styled garment. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran