Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations on some pants, er, trousers...

I am looking for some nice, heavy(ish) khaki trousers. I prefer a more casual style - no pleated fronts.
I'm currently a 40x34/36, depending on the maker.
I want some nice ones to go with the jackets I'm ordering (FQHH Aero and maybe some cowhide Schott's)
I already have a B3 and A2 in brown.
Recommendations from the crew here sought with appreciation!

Rottweiler

New in Town
When you say "to wear with jackets like Aero", how authentic do you require? The most widely available trousers based on the original US Army pattern are Bill's Khakis M1. The "Authentic" has some more correct details like the button fly, but there are also more faithful replicas out there. Cheaper ones, too.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
I'd recommend the Filson dry finish tin cloth in dark tan - about 12 oz fabric. Or the shelter cloth for warmer weather - about 8 oz fabric. I modded up a pair of the tin cloth with M43 paratrooper pockets, ties and knee reinforcements and they've been bombproof and extra practical from that day! The Filson trousers have rear pocket flaps that can be either deployed or tucked in as you see fit.

Also RRL makes a great Bedford cord pair of pants loosely based on the WW2 US 10th Mtn Ski Trousers. I have a pair and they are THICK micro-corded cotton - probably 13-14 ounce weight cloth.

Last edited:
When you say "to wear with jackets like Aero", how authentic do you require? The most widely available trousers based on the original US Army pattern are Bill's Khakis M1. The "Authentic" has some more correct details like the button fly, but there are also more faithful replicas out there. Cheaper ones, too.

Thanks Rottweiler, no authentic needed. Just nicely made, heavy manly khakis! ;)

I'd recommend the Filson dry finish tin cloth in dark tan - about 12 oz fabric. Or the shelter cloth for warmer weather - about 8 oz fabric. I modded up a pair of the tin cloth with M43 paratrooper pockets, ties and knee reinforcements and they've been bombproof and extra practical from that day! The Filson trousers have rear pocket flaps that can be either deployed or tucked in as you see fit.

I was thinking Filson. I don't want anything oiled. Let me have. Look. Thanks!

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I am looking for some nice, heavy(ish) khaki trousers. I prefer a more casual style - no pleated fronts.
I'm currently a 40x34/36, depending on the maker.
I want some nice ones to go with the jackets I'm ordering (FQHH Aero and maybe some cowhide Schott's)
I already have a B3 and A2 in brown.
Recommendations from the crew here sought with appreciation!

The pants from PIR Clothing are great, check out the Overlord trousers.
http://www.pirclothingco.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=CARG

dfukumoto

New in Town
Google At The Front for authentic WWII khakis. Nice heavy cotton, button fly, high rise.

Bills Bullard Field Pants are good too. Try ebay for good prices on Bills. I tried Bills M1's but they wore out prematurely. Maybe my washing machine?

Filson's tin cloth are good for rough outdoor wear like hunting, etc. They are REALLY stiff.

df

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
I'm interested in this thread as well. I really like the so-called British coloured khaki but I'm looking for a pair with a more modern cut ie: narrower pant leg albeit with a regular or high rise. Any recommendations on sourcing this particular 'design'?

Edward

Bartender
The pants from PIR Clothing are great, check out the Overlord trousers.
http://www.pirclothingco.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=CARG

How's the fit on those? They look great on the website, but I find it very hard to tell from their photos whether they are an authentically wide leg, or something more modern and slimmer in profile.

I believe Buzz Rickson makes chino's as well. Might have a look over there...
Andy

They do, and they will be outstanding quality. Expect to pay big money for them, though.... Oh, and I've never seen them in a size over a 34" waist.

flaminggroovy

New in Town
all those cotton pants wore out prematurely....it's not because of your washing machine...mr Fukumoto.

Why spend 100 bucks..if you can buy 3 Ben Davis Gorilla cut pants instead.
They are wrinkle free..and strong...cool in summer...
The Goriila cut pants...are workpants...wide in the legs..with deep pockets.

Wearing Lost Worlds Ryder, Suburban jacket and White's or Chippewa workboots and Gorilla cut Khaki pants ..in combination with black or brown rayban Wayfarer and a Akubra hat... looks cool...you'll Johnny Depp far behind.

Google At The Front for authentic WWII khakis. Nice heavy cotton, button fly, high rise.

Bills Bullard Field Pants are good too. Try ebay for good prices on Bills. I tried Bills M1's but they wore out prematurely. Maybe my washing machine?

Filson's tin cloth are good for rough outdoor wear like hunting, etc. They are REALLY stiff.

df

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
How's the fit on those? They look great on the website, but I find it very hard to tell from their photos whether they are an authentically wide leg, or something more modern and slimmer in profile.

They are wide, roomy legs. I have 3 of 4 styles they offer and they are the only pants I wear anymore. The construction is sturdy as well.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
They are wide, roomy legs. I have 3 of 4 styles they offer and they are the only pants I wear anymore. The construction is sturdy as well.

Cool, thanks! You wouldn't know offhand what the rise is in them? I'm instinctively wary when they mention this idea of tweaking the original patterns to suit modern tastes... lol Hoping to order one of each style while the 50% off offer is on the website (maybe more later on). A pair of trews I can wear to work and in semi-formal circumstances that don't need dry cleaning is a very attractive thing.

Just in case the folks at PIR are looking in on this thread, please note that the contact page in your site seems to be going funny for me - when I try to submit a question, it sends me to a 404... presumably my emails are not being sent. Maybe my browser? (Chrome).

CBI

One Too Many
Yes, At The Front, What Price Glory or WWII Impressions (all online). Great WWII era repro clothing. All of my casual pants wear from these places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen