Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reconditioning plastic frames?

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Hi-ho.

I've got a snazzy pair of black, cat-eye sunglasses of my Grandmother's but the frames are so dull from use, handling, and wear that they look almost white in spots. Does anyone know of a way to recondition older plastics, or are they just done for?

Cheers!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What's happening there is a chemical reaction in the plastic itself -- the white is actually the plasticizer leaching out as the material ages. You might try wiping it with an ammonia solution to see if that takes the coating off -- but it's something that may keep recurring depending on how the frames have been stored. I had a pair of my childhood glasses go thru the same process -- they turned white, shrank, and finally fell apart. So be careful!

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
What's happening there is a chemical reaction in the plastic itself -- the white is actually the plasticizer leaching out as the material ages. You might try wiping it with an ammonia solution to see if that takes the coating off -- but it's something that may keep recurring depending on how the frames have been stored. I had a pair of my childhood glasses go thru the same process -- they turned white, shrank, and finally fell apart. So be careful!

Wow, thanks Lizzie. I'll let you know how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy