Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red hair and red lipstick

M

member 19219

Hello ladies,

I just arrived here, and I am finding this community very informative! Many compliments to all of you ladies who take their time to dress so classy and elegant.

I've only recently started wearing 'vintage' clothes, and I wear almost only repro. I am low on funds and time, so I don't have a lot of vintage finds yet. However, I'm in love with the style.

Currently, I am having a bit of a difficulty with finding the right shade of red lipstick. I am a redhead by dye myself, the colour of my hair being similar to this andrelon add:

But for the love of all that is holy, I can't find a shade of red lipstick that will suit my haircolour. My skin is very fair and I usually wear black or green clothes.
I'm thinking a rust kind of colour is best, but I'm not sold yet. Are there any ladies here who faced the same 'problem' and found a solution (in the form of a suitable colour)?

Many thanks!
xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Katue

Familiar Face
Hello, K.
My skin is very fair too. I'm wearing this shade of red... But it's lighter and more natural I guess.

I used to wear darker shade. But for my fair skin light red works best!

M

member 19219

Hi Katue,

thanks for replying!
I only just realised though, after re-reading my post, that it might look like I was searching for a new hair colour. However, I am looking for a right shade of red lipstick to go with my current hair colour. Sorry!

xx,
K.Gwenhwyfar

MysteriousRed

New in Town
While I was a redhead, I usually wore burgundy/wine shaded lipsticks and stayed away from the candy red type colors. I believe that it depends on the shade of hair color on the choosing of the lipstick but that's just me. :)

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I'm a henna user with medium-red hair...a bit lighter than yours seems. I have fair skin and like matte brick red lipsticks...MAC's Viva Glam I and Revlon's In the Red work well for me. I also like Maybelline's ColorSensational lipstick in Red Revival, which is a bit bluer and less brick-toned.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm wearing Maybelline's Red Revival
5526298007_d0ae213d50.jpg

Almost Vintage

One of the Regulars
See, I have Red Rival too, but on me it looks really red and it clashes with my currently red hair (a bit lighter than yours, Kamikat). I do have to say it looks wonderful on you though!

M

member 19219

Thanks for all your replies!
I think I will go to the MAC counter soon and try Ruby Woo, and perhaps some other shades. If I find something, I'll let you know.

xx,
K.

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
I love red hair with red lipstick, it reminds me of Maureen O'Hara who I've always thought was just stunning! :)

Velvet Morris-Schwarz

New in Town
Hi there! I'm new, but I have had every shade of hair under the sun, including reds from strawberry to copper, wine to auburn. My tip is to by lipgloss and lipcolor in orange and pink and wine shades, then layer them over the red lipsticks you have. You would be amazed how a true red looks when slightly different colors (warm and cool) are layered on top. In fact, I layer lip color all the time to avoid wasting the ones I have, that may not work on their own. :)

Cowill

New in Town
Hello, K.
My skin is very fair too. I'm wearing this shade of red... But it's lighter and more natural I guess.

I used to wear darker shade. But for my fair skin light red works best!
Can I see the images because the links you have added here for the images are not working for me...

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
I'm a redhead, not naturally but it goes great with my skin tone. I can't wear colors like red, pink, violet, or anything cool. I have just about every MAC red lipstick and nothing looked good until I tried Dubonnet. Score! It has yellow undertones and looks great with autumns :)

Kishtu

Practically Family
I have (naturally) dark red hair - orange, I call it, with the light behind it :D - and find the nest lipsticks for me are actually Rimmel's true scarlet lipliners.

Have had some very beautiful glossy true scarlet lipsticks (the name of most of which escapes me...) but I cannot stand the ones which wear to a horrible shade of fuchsia - eewww!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm a natural auburn redhead, my skin is fair with freckles & gold undertones. I currently color my hair due to greying (ugh!) and vary between a lighter orangey-red and a light brownish auburn. I find I look best in brownish reds, like Julie Hewett Coco Noir. I also love Lacura's Red Velvet and Deep Red, which are super cheapies from Aldi.

I *love* red lipstick on redheads! I agree, it is very Maureen O'Hara technicolor-ish. I think it totally depends on your undertones and your exact hair shade, but I think that just about everyone can wear a vibrant true red like MAC Ruby Woo, Estee Lauder Stay Scarlet, or Julie Hewett Rouge Noir.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24