Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red hair and red lipstick

kittyred

New in Town
i've always found that pink lipsticks look good on me regardless of hair colour, (naturally very pale with dark brown hair) so now my hair is red i go for reds that have a slight pinkish hue to them rather than orangey ones.

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I've been going incrementally darker red as the weather gets colder, and LOVE Ruby Woo with the darker red hair. To dial it down a little for work, I'll wear a pinky-nude liner underneath (Prestige Kiss), to go full-force I'll use Maybelline's Red or Prestige True Red liner. C-Dot, you look great in that photo. What shade of red lipstick is that?

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I think first, you have to get used to seeing yourself in red lipstick. I used to think I looked like a clown in any shade but I think I was just not used to the look of red after years of wearing neutrals. A good starter is a brick or wine red. Besame's Red Velvet and Merlot or good choices. I wear pretty much every shade now depending on my mood. MAC's Russian Red is always in my purse along with any of Kat Von D's reds.

zombi

A-List Customer
Hi there

Im a redhead - I swear by Besame's Red Velvet, or carmine for a more orange red.But i tell you.. Red Velvet ROCKS MY WORLD!!
Yeah, Red Velvet is an incredible colour. One of my absolute favourites.

I also like the Besame Red Hot Red, as well as an older colour by L'oreal, "Bold".

Juliet

A-List Customer
I'm a henna user with very pale skin - a darker red haircolour, I guess.
The lipsticks that suit me most are Rimmel's Lasting Finish Intense wear in Rich Raisin (176) and Artdeco Cosmetics High Performance Lipstick 443 (Femme Fatale, I think).

But, as Jenniferose7 already said, I think half the job is getting used to it :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I use either Benefit's "D'finer D'liner" which is a CLEAR liner, or I use MAC's "Etcetera" which a nude sort of colour.

Good! Gals, don't waste your money on coloured lip liner. I explained it fully in the "What Make-up Are You Wearing Today" thread.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I bought the Benefit lip liner after C dot's recommendation. It's good, certainly stops bleeding, but I find that filling your lips with coloured lip liner before adding lippy adds an extra level of colour protection. If your lippy wears off, you've still got the coloured lip liner base. That doesn't happen with the clear lip liner.

Beetastic

New in Town
Thanks for the suggestion. I have nude liner and it worked wonderful much better than my MAC Cherry. I am very new to lip liner I have never used them before so I feel a bit lost sometimes. C-Dot I will check out that thread thanks.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I bought the Benefit lip liner after C dot's recommendation. It's good, certainly stops bleeding, but I find that filling your lips with coloured lip liner before adding lippy adds an extra level of colour protection. If your lippy wears off, you've still got the coloured lip liner base. That doesn't happen with the clear lip liner.

I'm glad you like it! My application always seems to suffer with coloured liners, but if you can master it, then the colour protection is certainly a perk.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
Natural redhead, paler than pale.

I use MAC Russian Red. The saleswoman (she may have just been sealing the deal) gasped and said how incredible that red colour would look with my skin and coloring. I've only ever gotten compliments on it, and it doesn't seem to mess with the warm hair color or pink tones in my skin. I adore it and wish I had the guts to wear it on more occasions. :) It's the first red that has really "worked" without that "yeesh" reaction a few minutes in. It gets better and better!

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I'm a dyed redhead but very pale. My favourite lipstick is MAC Lady Danger but I also wear Ruby Woo. Lady Danger is really bright, almost orangey - it nearly matches my hair colour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner