Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IndianaStan

New in Town
Hello all,

I've recently been bitten by the Red Wing Bug and have been researching their Heritage line like a madman. I came across the Roughneck (Style 8146) and it checks almost all the boxes I have when it comes to a heritage boot. I went to a local Red Wing store and tried on a pair of 8089 Moc Toes to see how their No. 23 Last fits on me. They're comfortable but would definitely need to get past the break-in period before I can really comment on long-term comfort. For reference, I already own a pair of Thursday Vanguards and while they're a solid starter boot, there is a definite jump in quality once you move up from them and try Red Wings.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody here has a pair of Roughnecks (or any Red Wing on a 23 Last). I would love your input on what size you got since an 8D is close to perfect but a 7.5D is way too tight beyond the ball of the foot and at the rear of my arch. Also, if anyone can speak to any differences between the Roughneck and the Classic Moc Toe aside from the outsoles, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm pretty dead-set on the Roughneck but I just had those few questions before I throw down the money for a pair.
Also, I tried on a pair of Iron Rangers while I was at the Red Wing store and they are definitely next on my list if I really like the Roughnecks.

If you took the time to read through this, thanks lol

hjv2

Familiar Face
The Roughneck is basically a Classic Moc with a lug sole, no other differences construction wise. The model was off the market for few years and only recently has made a comeback. The 23 last has quite narrow toe box, don't go down too much in sizes, only half if that. I have the lug sole on my Loggers, it's a beefy outsole for sure.

Check out my boy CJ Cook's YT channel. He's the reason I have too many damn boots.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
I just got the Iron Rangers in copper rough and tough today (strapped on my feet to begin break-in as I type). I have nothing useful to offer in this discussion other than to say a few years ago the Roughnecks were offered in the No. 8 last (same last as IR and Blacksmiths). How I wish they still made them that way. I really wanted to go with the Roughnecks as oil & gas is in my blood but I just wasn't ready for a moc toe.

Not that it matters, but I liked the plain toe of the Blacksmith over the top cap on the IR. However, the IR is about 1/2" taller than the Blacksmith. When I was trying each of them on, that extra height won me over to the IR. The toe cap isn't that bad.
Red Wing Copper Rough and Tough Iron Rangers.jpg

Finally, the IR came with 45" laces which, regardless of the 7 eyelet rule, is about 7" too short for my liking. I don't know if anyone else has had that issue with Red Wings in general (IRs specifically). The left boot is the OEM lace. The right boot is 325 Paracord in chocolate I had lying around. Looks like a good lace replacement.
IR Shoelaces.jpg

IndianaStan

New in Town
Thanks for the reply! I ended up getting the Roughnecks a few weeks ago and they’re breaking in nicely. Since then, I ordered the Blacksmith in CRT and I should be getting them today.
What’s your opinion on the cotton toebox lining that the Blacksmiths and IR’s use? To be honest, they’re the one downside to the heritage line and I wish that all their boots had leather lining like the moc toes and the Beckmans.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
I missed that your post was a month ago. You are moving fast in building a boot collection. I have no particular opinion about the cotton toebox lining yet, though I too would have preferred all leather.
Good luck and happy feet with the new boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner