Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Refurbing a leather coat buckle?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Hey! We just got back from a two-day trip down to Lyme Regis and environs, which we greatly enjoyed, despite meself having the flu going down there, and my better half picking it up from me and bringing it 'ome. Needless to say, she is not best pleased...

Anyway, from a charity shop in Lyme Regis, I bagged an amazing mid-grey, double-breasted 1940s overcoat that's tailor-made in Dudley out of proper Crombie cloth. It's in unworn condition, truly spotless, apart from the buckle on the belt, which is black leather and 70% of the surface has flaked off. The leather underneath is solid, but obviously a little on the grey side. How could I go about refurbing the buckle - just some careful application of black polish, or dye, or where to nab a new one... any ideas would be much appreciated!

Afraid I can't post a pic, digital camera's been busted for months, and we've just had to pay out a bundle to keep our Morris Minor on the road...

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Thanks, Tomasso, they look just right. I'll have to remove the 'pin' but that's a 30-second job... the sewing end's no problem for me, either!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Powder-coating?

If you want to retain the original buckle, and if you know of any powder-coating operations in your area, it's an inexpensive way to refurbish anything metal. 3 or 4 pounds ought to get the job done, and in whatever shade you prefer.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Your local cobbler should have some leather dye that's used for dyeing welts and leather soles after refinishment/replacement. That's much more abrasion resistant than boot polish and it's also water-proof. If you bring a small jar he will defintively sell a small amount to you. Use a fine brush and apply it sparingly. Use a lint free cloth and polish the buckle carefully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles