• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Remember That $55 Belted-Back Suit ?

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Marc Chevalier, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. Can't blame a guy for trying to turn a profit in this economy.
  3. Johnny J

Johnny J Fedora Lounge Artisan

Even with the moth holes?
  4. LoveMyHats2

LoveMyHats2 I'll Lock Up

The holes are a stopper for me, can't do even a slim 20 bucks for something with moth holes in it.

5. You kiddin'? I'm rooting for him all the way! "A rising tide lifts all boats."

6. As long as they're not glaring, yes.
  7. Some of the holes are quite glaring, but these things can always be rewoven. They might reduce the price a little but I wouldn't imagine by much. The serious colllectors will see how rare this is and bid accordingly. It is a Beautiful suit in a nice size.

As one who frequently turns very large profits on vintage, i also am rooting for the seller.

8. Yep. IMO, the seller is overstating the jacket size --a 42" chest makes it a 39 R, not a 42 R-- but serious collectors will figure this out and bid accordingly.

Without any moth holes, the suit would possibly fetch $1,000+ ... as a certain mothless grey flannel one did recently.
  9. Edward

Edward Bartender

Bane of my life, eBay sellers who don't understand that..... I had to learn the hard way to query that first....

10. This is a very experienced seller. I'd be surprised if he doesn't realize that a 42" chest does not a size 42 R make. Perhaps it was a typo? Mistakes happen.
  11. Allen

Allen New in Town

Well, CRAP. I wasn't aware of this. Well, here's hoping someone outbids me. It's at $20.50 right now, I've got my max bid set at $29.50, for anyone who'd like to claim this one.

12. Allen, you can try to retract your bid. Here: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RetractBidShow

In any case, it's 99.999999999999999999999999999999% certain that the suit will go for more than $29.50.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  13. It's up to $30.50! Allen is saved! :eek:
  14. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

My problem with this suit is the issue where the collar is riding up over the collar seam. It's very unsightly and there's no fix for it short of rebuilding the collar; not something easily done even if you can find a tailor up to the task. I have a couple suits hanging in my closet which are perfectly wearable if not for that flaw. :(

15. Qirrel

Qirrel Practically Family

It is perfectly fixable with a proper repressing of the collar.
  16. Tomasso

Except when pressing fails, which it does quite often. When that is the case it becomes a tailoring fix. A bespoke tailor describes a couple of fixes here. Other tailors have recommended cruder fixes such as sewing the back collar together.

BTW, are you a tailor?
  17. LuckyKat

LuckyKat Practically Family

If you have any belted back suits that you dont want because of the collar, I will buy them...

18. So ... if the collar sat correctly, you would shell out the $800+ necessary to win this auction. That's a relief to know. :eek:
  19. Tomasso

No, it's too small and the holes would bug me as much as the collar. But I'd pay that for the tweed sportcoat that you have, if it fit.

20. Yes!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:)