Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remix Shoes!!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
lazydaisyltd said:
Do you (or anyone else) have the Remix Briarcliffe? I'm thinking about those and would love to hear a review...

I have them, and I love them! They are so comfy and the crepe sole makes them longer wearing for walking. But a lot of people seem to think they look like orthopaedic shoes. Not me, I hasten to add! But be prepared in case you get that comment! lol

Inky

One Too Many
laisydaisy and fleur - oh those are pretty!

wedge132gp.gif

I have shied away from the crepe sole but it would make sense they are comfy and good for walking.

I love the yellow - I am all about getting wedges (my hands down favorite style of shoe) in all colors - and laisy, I adore my green shoes. The Grass Green is bright and cheerful and I've worn them with many outfits, even though I have little actual green in my wardrobe.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
I have them, and I love them! They are so comfy and the crepe sole makes them longer wearing for walking. But a lot of people seem to think they look like orthopaedic shoes. Not me, I hasten to add! But be prepared in case you get that comment! lol

Thank you so much, Fleur! (I love your blog and am a loyal reader, by the way!) I do see why people might find them orthopedic looking, but I sort of find that clunky look to be charming. I am trying to decide on a color...red makes the most sense for me, but I do like the green, and then yellow might be really fun....

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Inky said:

wedge132gp.gif

I have shied away from the crepe sole but it would make sense they are comfy and good for walking.

I love the yellow - I am all about getting wedges (my hands down favorite style of shoe) in all colors - and laisy, I adore my green shoes. The Grass Green is bright and cheerful and I've worn them with many outfits, even though I have little actual green in my wardrobe.

The yellow is tempting me, too. I have very little green as well, but it seems like that pop of green in a shoe would be really fun for summer--like how you put it with black and cream with your sweater/skirt combo. I need to work a little color into my neutrals like that.

Inky

One Too Many
lazydaisyltd said:
The yellow is tempting me, too. I have very little green as well, but it seems like that pop of green in a shoe would be really fun for summer--like how you put it with black and cream with your sweater/skirt combo. I need to work a little color into my neutrals like that.

Exactly! It's fun to see that. I've added those yellow Briarcliff's to my birthday wish list. Hating you right now, laisydaisy! :D

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Inky said:
As to width of shoes, I used to wear a true wide and would have NEVER fit into Remix shoes, but now I wear a regular 10 and do have some of what I call "foot pudge" when I wear Remix (or the Bear Flag Republic) ones, but nothing I can't live with. Also, I do not wear hose, which could make a difference, (gasp! the horror!) as I firmly gave up hose when I retired from banking in 1997 and refuse to wear any again (though I have been known to slap on a pair of tights, and MIGHT eventually wear my foot traffic seamed tights).

lol Foot pudge, have to remember that. So you spill over in the sides too? Maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I'm imagining it, I have some espadrilles and another pair of sandals that are open on the sides too, and that's not so bad. But it seems like the Remix sizes are all over the place, so I better wait until I'm in California, so I can try them on first.

Oh, the yellow, red and green briarcliffs would be so lovely for summer! They do look a tiny bit ortho, but I think it's charming and sweet. :)

Inky

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
lol Foot pudge, have to remember that. So you spill over in the sides too? Maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I'm imagining it, I have some espadrilles and another pair of sandals that are open on the sides too, and that's not so bad. But it seems like the Remix sizes are all over the place, so I better wait until I'm in California, so I can try them on first.

Here's some examples of my foot pudge in remix/bear flag republic shoes. I agree that since you are in Europe, it might be more practical for you to wait until you come here to actually try them on - plus I hear the selection in the store is better than on their website. Someday when I go visit my folks down in SoCal I must make time for a trip to Remix in person!

2759866117_1f7935618b.jpg

3270703596_504610d141.jpg

3038060283_dfaa7e327d.jpg

2958293273_bb73caa77c.jpg

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Inky said:

wedge132gp.gif

Tried the yellow ones on last Friday after work. My feet are a 6 1/2 and not particularly wide. Granted, I had been in shoes all day (no hosiery for me, either), but was really surprised that although the strap went across my foot easily, the first hole was so far down, I couldn't even buckle it; same with the other colors, but easily fixable. I love yellow, but this color was just a bit off (not the same in the photos, but I'm sure the dye lots vary, especially with a yellow) and they were a rather heavy shoe, too - much more than other Re-mix wedges with the leather soles. A tiny part of me was relieved that I didn't have to start saving for them. But only a tiny part. ;)

By the way, Inky, I love your photos - you're hair is perfectly vintage in both . And I'm also rather enamored by that deep purple sofa (?) with the orangey piping!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Oh Inky, thank you so much for posting those! Looks fine to me, no pudge problem. lol (the expression "foot pudge" is still cracking me up) The green color is looooovely!

Inky

One Too Many
Lily Powers said:
Tried the yellow ones on last Friday after work. My feet are a 6 1/2 and not particularly wide. Granted, I had been in shoes all day (no hosiery for me, either), but was really surprised that although the strap went across my foot easily, the first hole was so far down, I couldn't even buckle it; same with the other colors, but easily fixable. I love yellow, but this color was just a bit off (not the same in the photos, but I'm sure the dye lots vary, especially with a yellow) and they were a rather heavy shoe, too - much more than other Re-mix wedges with the leather soles. A tiny part of me was relieved that I didn't have to start saving for them. But only a tiny part. ;)

By the way, Inky, I love your photos - you're hair is perfectly vintage in both . And I'm also rather enamored by that deep purple sofa (?) with the orangey piping!

Thank you Lily, for the feedback on the yellow shoe. I suspected the yellow might be strange, but I like it just the same. When you say the hole was so far down, does that mean you would need to add a hole to be able to buckle it (i am not a very visual person!)

And thank you for the compliment on my hair - I have learned so much about hair from you all at the Lounge, I couldn't do it without you - and I have a much better body silhouette now than in those pictures, thanks to new Playtex bra that I learned about here too!)

:eek:fftopic: I love my purple velvet chaise. The piping is actually gold velvet. Believe it or not, when we purchased this house the seller had it here an I went crazy over it and he said if we bought the house, he would leave the chaise - how could I say no to that deal :D

Inky

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Oh Inky, thank you so much for posting those! Looks fine to me, no pudge problem. lol (the expression "foot pudge" is still cracking me up) The green color is looooovely!

I am glad they helped, Laura Chase. Like I said, it's a bit of pudge - i certainly do not have skinny feet, but it's not a problem for me. I am just happy to no longer be an 11 WIDE and never being able to find any shoes that were pretty that fit well.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Inky said:
I am glad they helped, Laura Chase. Like I said, it's a bit of pudge - i certainly do not have skinny feet, but it's not a problem for me. I am just happy to no longer be an 11 WIDE and never being able to find any shoes that were pretty that fit well.

Sorry to be off topic here, but how did your feet get smaller? :) Did you lose weight? Now that I think of it, my shoes do get a bit tighter if I gain a few pounds, but I didn't really think it was connected... I didn't think you could have fatty tissue on your feet. :D

Inky

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Sorry to be off topic here, but how did your feet get smaller? :) Did you lose weight? Now that I think of it, my shoes do get a bit tighter if I gain a few pounds, but I didn't really think it was connected... I didn't think you could have fatty tissue on your feet. :D

I had gastric bypass surgery two years ago and lost 141 pounds. I never imagined my feet would lose a full size and width, but considering when I graduated from high school in 1978 I wore a US size 9, and then a 10 and then the 11 Wide (and sometimes a 12 if a wide width could not be found), then it makes sense my feet and fingers and wrists would get smaller along with the rest of me - but it was still a surprise!

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Lily Powers said:

Lily, did the Briarcliffes fit true to size or did you go up a bit? According to Remixes site, it seems like they run small, but I've got the Danas and Gildas in my regular size and they are fine...not sure if I should go up or not?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Inky said:
I had gastric bypass surgery two years ago and lost 141 pounds. I never imagined my feet would lose a full size and width, but considering when I graduated from high school in 1978 I wore a US size 9, and then a 10 and then the 11 Wide (and sometimes a 12 if a wide width could not be found), then it makes sense my feet and fingers and wrists would get smaller along with the rest of me - but it was still a surprise!

Oh wow, kudos to you! :eusa_clap

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Inky, it's a chaise?! Yum. *sigh* Back to shoes: the strap would need more holes punched in it so that I could close it.

lazydaisyltd, Re-mix fits me true to size. The wedgie sizes are full-sized, no 6 1/2's, so I go up to the 7 and they have fit perfectly, even when I order online and haven't had a chance to try them on, that size chart is accurate.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
lazydaisyltd, Re-mix fits me true to size. The wedgie sizes are full-sized, no 6 1/2's, so I go up to the 7 and they have fit perfectly, even when I order online and haven't had a chance to try them on, that size chart is accurate.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information re: fit! I wear a 7 normally and just ordered the Briarcliffe (red) and the Amazon (antique luggage brown) in an 8...hopefully they will work. My feet do swell when it is hot in the summer so the extra room might be good. I live in Tennessee, so no chance of me going to the store to try on--would love to go in person someday, though!

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
I received my Remix order today--isn't any day better when you get new shoes? lol First off, the Briarcliffe. The red has more of a brown tone that it seems to have on the website--I think it's nice, but if anyone orders them expecting a true, bright red, they will be a little bummed because this is a brownish-red. I ordered up a size from my standard 7, which I was nervous about, but I think it will work. I have a bit of extra room in the toes, which will be good when it's hot and my feet are swollen, but I can adjust the straps on top so that my foot isn't swimming. The crepe sole does make them a little heavy, but for me it's a good trade-off for comfort and also quiet--I have all hardwood floors in my house and I can't be tap-tapping around when it's the baby's naptime. I've found that hard-soled shoes just never get worn, no matter how cute they are...that sound just drives me nuts. Plus, I take lots of walks and run around outside hanging up laundry, taking care of the garden, etc., and a rubber sole is practical. I also got the Amazon in luggage brown--this shoe is on sale for $98, which is a good deal (in my opinion) for a really vintage-looking shoe. The leather has a nice mottled, antiqued appearance...like an old leather bomber jacket! The stitching on the toe around the cut-outs is very pretty, and the color of the shoe is a really good neutral that will be good well into fall, in my opinion. It has the crepe sole as well, and the ankle strap will keep it on my feet even though I did order the slightly larger size.

As for ordering up, I think it was doable because these shoes have straps that adjust the fit of the shoe. When I ordered my Gildas, I ordered my regular size, and I'm glad that I did because that shoe is not adjustable. It's also a stiff-soled shoe and my heel tends to slip in it anyway--if I'd ordered an 8, I'd be walking right out of it. Because the leather in Remixes is thin, I think that they will stretch anyway. I also ordered my Daras in my regular size, but Remix advises on their website that the fit of the Dara is larger than the fit of their normal 1940s wedgies. Mine are fine.

Anyway, I've bought 4 pairs of Remix and one of Bear Flag since finding the Fedora Lounge. You people are a very bad influence! lol (and I'm, erm, a bit of a shoe collector...:eek: )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav