Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

replacement breast pocket zip pullers

Metatron

One Too Many
The problem:
W4YXq9s.jpg

It originally had a chain and 'diamond' type puller

Possibly the solution?
jhwAtG2.jpg

Or can you recommend something nicer in the style of the 30s-50s ball and chain/ball and diamond pullers?

Metatron

One Too Many
Very cool, thanks. What is your method for attaching them? Do you use those slim jewellers pliers to open and close the top ring?

hjv2

Familiar Face
Is it a Talon zipper? Looks like one. If you want an exact replacement, you can get one from UK Ebay, like this one. Ditch the zip and salvage the puller: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184250025762

The puller is very easy to change with a set of flathead screwdriver and pliers as Denny from Aero demonstrates here. Just watch them fingers, mate!

Metatron

One Too Many
Thanks! It isn't a talon but a modern zipper. Hm. Does the talon have a cover that is open one one end? because mine is closed on both ends.

hjv2

Familiar Face
Okay, if it's closed at both ends then the Talon won't work. I think you were on the right track at the opening post and your example would be a viable option if you're happy with the style.

Waldes makes vintage repros with similar construction but they seem to be hard to source.

waldes.png

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
The video is a little raw. I would not use pliers to close the hook. I much better method is to apply pressure from the top using a blunt object. A cloth Wood/leather-wrapped is perhaps the best material to use.

Metatron

One Too Many
Okay, if it's closed at both ends then the Talon won't work. I think you were on the right track at the opening post and your example would be a viable option if you're happy with the style.

Waldes makes vintage repros with similar construction but they seem to be hard to source.

View attachment 403682
That looks like a perfect solution! If only I can find a set

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The video is a little raw. I would not use pliers to close the hook. I much better method is to apply pressure from the top using a blunt object. A cloth Wood/leather-wrapped is perhaps the best material to use.

Agreed, that video is rough to watch.
I use these pliers to do that, they have flat jaws and leave no marks, they exist in a small size but the 10" one work fine for that job.
They are the best tool to bend/straighten anything metal.

ZFLUwQe.jpg

born113

One of the Regulars
That looks like a perfect solution! If only I can find a set
Another option

Metatron

One Too Many
I saw those! I was concerned the part of the tab that connects to the chain looks like it isn't properly closed though? Anyway, that is a good option. The Waldes one is even better because it comes with an open link. I hope they are available somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael