Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

REQ: Photos of non-brown, non-Indy Adventurebilts (+ Reg vs Dlx)

MattJH

One Too Many
I'd like to see photographs of your Adventurebilts that aren't brown or Indy-styled. I'm seriously considering the saving and ordering of one.

I'd also like some fresh commentary comparing the regular vs. deluxe Adventurebilts. There are several old threads discussing this, but I'm curious on new opinions, and whether the increase in quality is worth the $215 price difference (for a non-bound brim) at the current EUR -> USD exchange rate.

Thanks!

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have two of each.Three are brown.
DSCN3139.jpg

DSCN0907.jpg

DSCN3795-1.jpg

bar.jpg

Guess which are the ABs

MattJH

One Too Many
Nice, Douglas!

Since you own two regulars and two deluxes, you'd be a prime candidate for describing the differences in the two felts with as much detail as you'd be comfortable with providing. Would you mind helping a potential consumer out?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
How can you tell Jimmy?

There is a certain richness of color to the AB Deluxe that I think I am seeing in Photos 1 & 3. Also, it seems to me that the felt on the AB Deluxe is a bit thicker and more luxurious, and I think that I'm seeing that quality in Photos 1 & 3, as well. That being said, although I own an AB Deluxe, I have never handled an AB. Looks like you have a great basis for making a comparison. What's your assessment of the two? (They all look great, BTW. :eusa_clap)

So, are my guesses correct? :)

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Wow, JtL, are you or are you married to a twin? lol
You sure have an ability to spot a really fine distinction - if you're right, that is.

DOUGLAS

You are correct Jimmy. You are also right about the visuals. The way the DeLuxe looks carries through to its feel and thus shapebility and comfort.
The AB is a fine hat. The felt is thinner. I have a few issues with the brown one as far as sizing,shrinking and taper however no such problems with the gray AB. It has held up well in heavy rain and snow and for me is a true work horse.
The DeLuxe is just that, a finer grade of hat.The felt is rich and dense but not heavy or clumsy. It has a smooth luxurious finish that glides through ones hand. when you pick one up you know you are holding fur.The fit is flawless and because of the quality of the felt and the other materials used this hat is impervious to water and the elements. Mark truly puts his heart in to his hats. The details and craftsmanship are meticulous. I felt that I was getting a real peice of work for the price.

At some point I will get another DeLuxe.

MattJH

One Too Many
Thanks everyone! My follow-up question:

Aside from being custom made to order and aside from being featured in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, is there anything else that sets the Adventurebilt hats apart from any other 100% beaver hat that would warrant such a steep incline in cost? We aren't talking $20 or $50 or $80. We're talking several hundred dollars. I'm curious.

AlanC

I think a lot of the price for the AB Deluxe is simply the exchange rate. The dollar is very weak right now. But Marc spends extra for just the right felt, sweat, etc.

Is the regular AB that much more expensive than other beaver fur hats? It's cheaper than an Optimo and within range of a VS. [huh]

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Dumbjaw said:
I'd like to see photographs of your Adventurebilts that aren't brown or Indy-styled.

Dumbjaw -- Here's an AB Deluxe that is not Indy-styled:

TeardropCrystalSkull.jpg

CrystalSkullSun.jpg

As far as the AB Deluxe goes, I echo Douglas' thoughts. In terms of whether the increased cost is justified, I can only say that, in my view, you'll wind up with a very special lid. The felt truly is extraordinary. And, as Douglas' photos definitely demonstrate, the AB Deluxe can be styled to suit your own tastes -- it is a great hat, not just a great Indy hat.

Cheers,
JtL

Dumbjaw said:
Aside from being custom made to order and aside from being featured in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, is there anything else that sets the Adventurebilt hats apart from any other 100% beaver hat that would warrant such a steep incline in cost? We aren't talking $20 or $50 or $80. We're talking several hundred dollars. I'm curious.

To make as certain as I could be that I wasn't talking out of my hat, I just now checked both the Adventurebilt and Adventurebilt Deluxe websites. Steve charges $400. Marc's rate is about half again more, when the value of the euro vs. the dollar is taken into account.

Those prices aren't at all out of line. Indeed, Steve's rate could well be called a bargain, considering what most custom hat makers charge these day.

Among the many ways Art (of Vintage Silhouettes) has spoiled us is in his prices. He could easily justify raising his rates by a substantial amount. I'd bet that even then he would still have many, many satisfied, repeat customers.

Marc

Vendor
Dear all,

I'm not sure if it's ok to show this hat off here without hurting any rules. If so, please remove my post.

Here's a hat that I just finished two weeks ago. I've hardly ever been that proud of a hat I've made in the past:)

Here's what I originally posted on the Indylounge:

Dear all,

after making the Kaplan Sr., Kaplan jr. and I were discussing if he wanted the exact same hat for himself, or if he'd rather try something else. The idea of making a CS Fedora with a bound brim and the wider ribbon had been bouncing forth and back in my head ever since I finished the Kaplan Sr. and I told Kaplan jr. about it. After discussing a few details such as dim. cut yes or no, Raiders or CS block, bow design and some other details, Kaplan jr. gave me a green light. I'm must admit that I'm EXTREMELY proud of how it turned out! I really, really like the design and how it looks on me (Kaplan jr. can consider himself lucky that it's too big for me ;D) and if I wouldn't be so far behind, I'd make one for myself immediately. Kinda classic meets Indy. Anyway enough of the talk, here are the pictures:

Custom made 45 and 25mm dark brown ribbon, made from the same manufacturer who made the Raiders ribbon back in 1981:

DSCN0886.jpg

Pure beaver felt, finished off with a 2000 grit sandpaper and sported by a pre-shrunk kangaroo hide sweatband:

DSCN0887.jpg

The bound brim is hand stitches (as everything else on the hat):

DSCN0890.jpg

DSCN0895.jpg

DSCN0896.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

As always, any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,

Marc

Marc said:
As always, any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,

Marc

Feedback, he asks?

Sure. Happy to oblige.

It looks great. The hand-stitched edge binding differs quite a bit from what I'm accustomed to seeing, but I dig it.

This might be asking too much, but ...

Would you mind expanding a bit on your edge-binding process? What kind of needle do you use? And thread? How (and where on the brim) do you start? And how do you finish that seam at the back?

It's great, Marc. Just wonderful. I'm happy for both you and Steve that you've made a successful business of this hat-making thing. Congratultions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff