Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Request feedback from members on hat

flylot74

One of the Regulars
OK ladies and gentlemen, here we go. As promised, I have pictures of my hats which I will post on this thread. The object is to give me feedback on which hat style is a "best " fit for this round basketball head of yours truly. With each picture I will describe the brim width, brim height, and make of hat. Please review. Please don't hesitate in telling me something is "not me", you won't hurt my feelings at all, as you know my wife says I look good in all of them which provides no feedback at all!

Everybody ready?

Proceed_1.jpg
[/IMG]

New Borsolino, 4" crown, 2 1/2" brim:

DSCN0722.jpg
[/IMG]

New Stetson Temple: 4" crown, brim 2 5/8 X 2 3/8, 1 3/4 grosgrain ribbon:

StetsonTemple.jpg
[/IMG]

Vintage Borsalino 5" crown 2 3/4 brim narrow ribbon:

DSCN0736.jpg
[/IMG]

Vintage Stetson Whippet: 5" crown, 2 5/8" brim:

DSCN0769-1.jpg
[/IMG]

New 10X Stetson "Reno" 5" crown 3" brim with twin chord band:

10xStetson.jpg
[/IMG]

Vintage Stetson nutrea quality with cattleman's bash and leather band:

nutreaStetson.jpg
[/IMG]

OK folks. That's it. I own no small brim hats. My initial impression is they would not look good on my head. I am leaning toward the vintage Borso and Whippet, but it may be because they are more comfortabel hats rather than they look good on me. Should I stay with 2 1/2 brims, 2 3/4, variable brims as in the Temple? Three inch? Go to smaller brims? I do know I like a tighter pinch than my new hats have, but that's all I know.

....I thank you for your support!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd have to agree with your wife, all the hats look good. I believe each hat, while giving a slightly different look, all compliment your features well. However, of the hats pictured, I'd have to say I think the Vintage Borsalino 5" crown 2 3/4 brim narrow ribbon hat looks the best on you.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Big Man, all of them look great on you. My favorite is the "New 10X Stetson "Reno" 5" crown 3" brim with twin chord band". I think the wider brim suits your face better.

I'd love to see you in a hat with a 5" crown, 3" brim in a color to match the yoke of that fabulous jacket you're wearing with a medium brown 1 3/4 grosgrain ribbon (about the same color as the leather band in the last photo).

duggap

Banned
I have looked at the pics and in my humble opinion, I think you need to stay with a taller crown and a brim of around 2 1/2 inches. You will find as you go along that you come to like the taller crown. :)

Edward

Bartender
I'd agree with the consensus that none of the hats look wrong on you, though I think what suits you best is a higher (5") crown with non-tapered sides. I believe you could wear something like an Akubra Federation very well.

Havana

One of the Regulars
All of these hats look fine on you but I think your best look is with a taller crown, thicker ribbon and a flatter brim of any width. It think the look of that Stetson Temple suits you best. I think you could really go with any brim width.

animator

One of the Regulars
You have a nice variety of great hats! I would agree they all look good, but the New 10X Stetson "Reno" 5" crown 3" brim with twin chord band is my favorite on you.

RBH

Bartender
I have to say I like a wide brim on you, the Vintage Borsalino looks best to me. Non of the hats look bad but that Borsalino just looks prime!
The first hat also has the look of '' and ol' buddy I havent seen in awhile'' I like it!!!!! Hope you get what I mean buy this..

pgoat

One Too Many
I echo what most have posted - they all look fine - except (imho) the last one. I think a wider brim/taller crown is needed here. It just looks a bit too 'small' (out of balance/proportion with your face, not fit or size wise).

The Borsalinos look just fine but I think the general flavor of the Stetsons looks more 'you'. Nice hats!! (Cool cat, too!)

carter

I'll Lock Up
THe Vintage Borsalino

I agree with RBH and Big Man. The vintage Borsalino has the best proportions for you. I would like to see a wider ribbon on that hat though.

DSCN0736.jpg
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

That's a nice look with the shades. :)

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
PUMPKIN HEAD

carter said:
I agree with RBH and Big Man. The vintage Borsalino has the best proportions for you. I would like to see a wider ribbon on that hat though.

DSCN0736.jpg
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

That's a nice look with the shades. :)

AS A FELLOW "PUMPKINHEAD" I AGREE ON THE BORSALINO. I FIND THAT HIGH CROWN, WIDE BRIMED HATS LOOK BEST ON ME.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
OK, I'm gonna make some waves here but the only two hat's I think look right on you are the Vintage Borso and the Reno 10X. The new Borso with 4" crown is so tapered it appears to be a cone on your head.
So, I suggest staying with 2 3/4-3" brims and taller straight sided designs. I can't tell on the Temple as it's a side shot, but if it's tapered also....

Feraud

Bartender
Here is my list in order of preference.

Vintage Borsalino 5" crown 2 3/4 brim narrow ribbon
Vintage Stetson Whippet: 5" crown, 2 5/8" brim
New Stetson Temple: 4" crown, brim 2 5/8 X 2 3/8, 1 3/4 grosgrain ribbon
New 10X Stetson "Reno" 5" crown 3" brim with twin chord band
Vintage Stetson nutrea quality with cattleman's bash and leather band
New Borsolino, 4" crown, 2 1/2" brim

The Average Joe

New in Town
All the hats look good on you to me except the last to Stetsons.
For some reason they just don't look like they fit you properly.
I'm also not crazy about the New Borsolino, 4" crown, 2 1/2" brim.
It could be the camera angle, though.
It's a toss up between the Stetson Temple, the Vintage Stetson Whippet and the vintage Borsalino.
All 3 are awesome hats and look great on you.
But, that's me. I prefer a tall crown.
Wish I had any one of them.
Like tinmanzzz said, I would like to see the vintage Borsalino with a wider ribbon...maybe a grosgrain band.

All in all, a great collection of hats.:eusa_clap

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They all look good for different reasons and in different ways. The smaller brims seem to show off more of your face, which is a good thing. The taller crowns show off the hats, also good. The last one makes you look extremely youthful, for some reason! None looks as if it's a tiny hat on a pumpkin head.
The Proceed picture still has me laughing like to start a coughing fit.

Wesne

One of the Regulars
I don't think any of them look bad but with all of them there for comparison, some do seem to fit your head shape better than others. The most important factor to my eyes is the size and shape of the crown. The crowns on the Borsalino in the first picture and the Stetson in the last one just look too small atop your head, compared to some of the other hats with more generous, straight-sided crowns. I think that's probably going to be a more important factor for you than the size of the brim. I agree with just about everyone else that the vintage Borsalino looks particularly good on you.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Vintage Borsalino, with the Whippet in second place. As others have said, though, the fact that you are wearing all of them happily and confidently makes most of them work quite well anyway...

...I'm inclined to agree with Art about the new Borsalino, however, which I think suits you the least of all of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner