Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resistol OR Imposter

nwiniewicz

New in Town
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker but first time poster. I've found this to be a great place to learn about hat qualiy and has really piqued my interest.

Anyways, I know this is not exactly vintage but wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with the Resistol OR imposters. Won it on the bay, and looking forward to receiving it. I thought it was a decent price for an unworn hat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:11&Item=140087786613

Let me know if any of you have had any experience with these. Looking forward to being more active on this board.

Thanks.

Nick

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Very nice hats, I have two of them and wear them often.

This one is a 7X Beaver San Antonio (older of the two that I have)
r002.jpg

This is another San Antonio

MVC-542F.jpg

MVC-568F.jpg

You did quite well, mwiniewicz. Heck, that would be a bargain at twice the price.
I'm inclined to think jamespowers has it right as to vintage (he's something of an authority on such matters). The seller said he received it as a gift in 1990, but not that it was new then. It may well have been a coupla-three or four decades old at that point.
Did you watch a bunch of other hats get bid up beyond reason before you scored that one?
Post pics when it arrives. I'm looking forward to seeing more interior detail.
BTW, the seller says it is marked as a "Wide Country." Each and every Resistol of that style I've ever seen up close is called "San Antonio." Perhaps Bud or Spencer has seen one of those WCs. Or perhaps jamespowers just happens to have an old advertisement to show us?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
hat abuse

mine's a san antonio.

I found another one like it on ebay. which I bet won't sell. Can you guess why?
a218_1.jpg

nwiniewicz

New in Town
Wow...thanks for all the quick replies. If you guys are right on the age of this hat, I'd be even more excited for it as I am assuming felt quality was a bit better back then.

I'll definately post some more pix when I get the hat. If someone does have any info regarding the Wide Country vs San Antonio designations, I would appreciate it.

BTW...I think I might pass on bidding the "custom" Resistol posted above!!!:eusa_doh:

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great looking hat nwiniewicz, I was close to bidding on it myself. Congrats:eusa_clap

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Resistol hats are fine hats unto themselves...

nwiniewicz said:
Anyways, I know this is not exactly vintage but wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with the Resistol OR imposters. Won it on the bay, and looking forward to receiving it. I thought it was a decent price for an unworn hat.
Nick

I think that "imposter" is just a little harsh, Resistol made a fine hat and did not need to pose as anything or anyone else.
To my suprise, John Wayne, JR Ewing and LBJ's hat were Resistol and not Stetson's http://www.texasmonthly.com/ranch/readme/resistol.php

nwiniewicz

New in Town
Sorry for such a delayed response, but I received the hat and it is wonderful condition. Great looking hat with the front brim turned down. I have been wearing it over the past week, and will try to post some pix in the near future.

BTW, I e-mailed Hatco concerning the vintage of this hat. I got a response back with a best guess of about thirty years ago, so the pre-1968 comment above may not be far off.

X Double X. No model on the sweat and the paper label is torn off. This is a more recent production hat, but it’s much nicer than the current Stetson 6X OR I owned for a few months.

59aa84bcaf4a8ba8fde9269098ea3472.jpg

d0a1209e28a26a959c44ea1ff658fc8e.jpg

b29f6d58b1322361bfa32392dd78bac9.jpg

be0fa194b41a71827afe0b921dbbc4cc.jpg

9f9b2fcaacb842d6bd2c5cc23752a127.jpg

459212af7bfaca1955ca21e78fb0ef0c.jpg

3221c337dc6f5a6f5d2f7c79223121a9.jpg

67deef76e09a7e9382b5ed425e20b061.jpg

The sweat looks great, but I’m now reluctant fold down sweats of this era so any tags or labels hiding will remain a secret. 7 5/8 Long Oval. 2 3/4” brim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner