Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resizing

MKL

A-List Customer
I tried posting this earlier but I don't think it made it.

What is the rule of thumb for resizing a hat? How much either way? Would it be correct to assume it would depend on the fabric? How is it done other than stretching to gain a larger size?

I am obviously new at this.

Thanks.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
MKL, it depends on how much a hat needs to be stretched. Usually just one size doesn't require dismantling the hat but any more than that is a pain. You have to completely strip the hat to bare felt and start the building process again after stretching the felt over a block. Note that in most cases if you go higher in size the crown will shorten, but if you go down in size the crown increases. I always try to keep the brim width the same so I don;'t have to break in a new band line ( where the brim meets the crown)

MKL

A-List Customer
Thanks

Hi Art,

Thanks for the info.

By one size to another do you mean like 1/8 to 1/4? I am not sure of the different sizes in hats.

What about going the other direction? Is the hat dismantled as well? I suppose when I get mine back from you I will see, huh? :)

Mark

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Yup. especially when it is downsized MKL. THere's no way that i know of to shrink a sweatband except for time, measured in years. The hat is completely dismantled, reblocked on a smaller block, then rebuilt as though brand new using the existing ribbon, sweat etc. Oh, you are right, the sizes are normally 1/8 increments. I prefer 1/16 increments but then I'm a bit anal.)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy