Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Responses for the Vintage Lady

P

Paul

crystalface said:
I think it's just so weird. The whole glare thing... Why do people think we're bad or mean or dirrrty if we dress vintage? I just don't get it. Nobody glares at the people in pajamas. [huh]

I do not have a answer for " Nobody glares at the people in pajamas". Saying that if you think about other parts of society who dress outside what is normal they are often in gangs or a few of them together on the streets, if you stare or make vertebral comments directed to them about how they dress then it is likely you will get verbal abuse back or worse it's could be part of their image been hard so people in general do not and just ignore them. You may think to your self don't they look dreadfully but that's your own private thought and do not say it to your face.
I deliberately not naming any particular group because I do not want to stereo type any one group with bad behaviour but I think we could all come up with one group that we could question the dress code.

People would not expect a nicely dress vintage lady to come out with "Why you **** looking at me" so unfortunate they get away with glares at you.

I also think that there is another and a stronger reason why others females glare at you ,jealous! you may have the figure they envy or are wearing the clothes they would like too but dare not etc etc.
As for men maybe they would like there better half to dress like you are doing, and not wearing pajamas as she is doing most days?.
As you can get I feel passionate about wearing your own look and having the freedom to do so. As far as glares I know unfortunate all to well about that from first hand t and not from wearing fashions, as a 18 year old I had a accident the result was a facial cut from the fringe to my neck, and boy did every one glares. Young children said "what happened to him mummy" through embracement the mother just putted the kid away and said something to shut them up instead of explaining.I looked upon that as inevitable consequence unfortunately and acepted then that's what happens, but sociery should these days know better.
Society is so strange and unfortunately judgmental, I hope I never stare or glare at any lady but if I do then it is because I am thinking if only I had that figure then I could carry off the same vintage look myself as you all do so well. A look of admiration, sorry for been so long winded.
Paul

Elaina

One Too Many
Now I think we get glared at by men and women because by dressing nice, how bad do you make the rest of them look?

Last night I took my kid to cub scouts. I didn't dress vintage (partly because we all have colds, partly because with little boys, and last night snakes, it wasn't going to work) but I was dressed in a silk blouse, good slacks and 40's inspired wedges. Had my hair and make-up done...and the other mom's, the county head (who's leading it) and my ex-husband were all in jeans, Wal-Mart trailer trash chic or jammies. This was to a CHURCH. And I got a nasty couple of comments about it. I didn't have to say anything, the boys handled it with part of the scout book. But fact is: the preacher talked to me because I LOOKED like I took the time to dress appropriately for the occasion, and made the rest of them look bad.

Kaela

Vendor
Ladylike always wins!

I've had so many crazy comments about my look. Mostly, people ask me what I'm all dressed up for, and all I can say is "Life." They usually like that answer, and some are confused by it.
Once I had an older man look at me in an art museum, he said, "do you know that you're dressed from a time gone by?!" As if I accidenty did it!
I've been asked if was going to be in a show if I was at a fair or festival.
I've been asked if I was in a movie.
Usually when I say it's how I dress daily, some people look concerned.
I generally stick to more conservative outfits that aren't much skin and aren't too tight so I haven't got all the accusations of being a heartbreaker, but I've got the looks, I'd say it's a good habit to be the "bigger person" and smile and be sociable-sweet, if nothing else, it's the right thing for a vintage lady!
I think when girls get catty, the best thing seems to be sugar-sweet weapons. Just know that some girls have insecurities, so try and look "respectful" if they're with somebody. And if it gets to you, just remember that they wish they were in your outfit!

Kim_B

Practically Family
It's sad, but...

...as much as I want to react with shock and say "I just can't believe it!" I can't do that. It might seem odd to a lot of us that people would act that way, but people are generally afraid (not scared, but unsure) of things they don't really know much about. Sometimes the easiest way to deal with things we are unsure of is to brush it off in a negative manner, instead of finding out what it's really all about.

I think we should use it as a time to really express what being a vintage lady is all about - a warm smile, a courteous explanation if the situation warrants it, and a thank you for noticing! And then take a couple minutes to feel good about how you look, because nothing beats that wave of confidence! :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
But what is even more satisfying is hen you see someone else in vintage, and you two make eye contact.

Its as if you are saying, "I get it." and they are saying, "Yeah, I do too."

Love those rare moments. :rolleyes:

LD

Kim_B

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
But what is even more satisfying is hen you see someone else in vintage, and you two make eye contact.

Its as if you are saying, "I get it." and they are saying, "Yeah, I do too."

Love those rare moments. :rolleyes:

LD

Hehe, I doubt I'll ever see that 'round my neck of the woods - unless VargasGirl comes to visit! :)

Mojito

One Too Many
I must be fortunate or oblivious to any negativity (probably a bit of both!), because I can't think of any adverse responses. Quite the opposite - people either like the look, or they express curiousity, or both. I wore a beaded green velvet 1920s to a friend's Christmas party last year - it was a hit before anyone even knew it was an original vintage dress. At one point someone I'm close to hugged me and said "I'm so glad the 20s live!". Even at work, when I come bouncing in with a new acquisition, the response is utter enthusiasm. The most they might say is "You know, it's gorgeous - it's not my style at all, but it is utterly you".

I consider myself fortunate to be surrounded by friends, colleagues and family who don't merely tolerate, they actively encourage and support what makes me happy. And strangers have never been rude enough to criticise by gesture or word. Then again, I do work in the museum/arts community, so a bit of bohemianism is encouraged!

P

Paul

CanadaDoll said:
Well update time!

I was on campus today, in a beige pencil skirt, black sweater and boots, complete with red lip, and mascaraed lashes, if you don't mind my arrogant moment:eek: I must say I looked very vintage.

I was walking to my practicum, through the main building, and recieved many appreciative glances, unfortunately also a few glares. But thanks to all your props I had the confidence to smile, walk it off, and keep cute, thanks so much ladies.:D

There was a cult TV comedy here " The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin" not very PC but the point is when ever any one said anything about "the mother in law" the main character thought about a hippopotamus and a picture of one was put on screen for a second or two.
If someone glares just picture them in your mind as something as you smile and walk pass.

The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin

Nice to here you look very Vintage.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Mojito-
I have to agree with you.Perhaps,the reason we do not receive the same negativity has to do with our career choice.If you're involved in a career that is seen as more creative than corporate you are expected to be a little different.I've worked with a very creative group of hairstylists and also have to admit that even with my hair at it's fieriest stage of red while dressed in a pencil skirt and sweater I probably still look tame compared to a few of my co-workers.
No one blinks an eye!lol

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Carry Yourself with Confidence!!!

I find that confidence makes all the difference in the world. If you like the way you look and feel good in your own skin, then just hold your head up and show it! I can't say I ever get an unkind word, maybe some curious ones...most often I get a lovely compliment.

I was standing in the customer service line at Target of all places yesterday running an errand and I got a shy tap on my shoulder from a woman who just had to tell me how much she liked my hat. :)

Honey Doll

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Today I dressed entirely 40's and I went to the grocery store. As I was pushing my cart through produce, I noticed a cute older lady next to me. Her eye kind of widened and went from my head all the way down to my shoes, and then focus in on my legs. (I was wearing my ff stockings of course) Then about 15 minutes later I was in another aisle and I saw the same lady, who again gazed at my legs. I couldn't really tell what she was thinking, but I'm sure it was good because she didn't give me a rude stare. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo