Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant style...

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
This is my understanding as well. Generally, the front of the room dresses.

Remember, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. So this is what you'll be doing as the customers arrive, and probably what they'll remember as well as the quality of the merchandise.
I'd say go for it. You will do your employer proud.

Elaina

One Too Many
I've been on both sides before, and wore the best I could when I was working.

I know when I was a server, I was asked to be more casual. (I wore Chanel to work, but they made the best quality of the type of uniform I was to wear, or I made my own.) I was asked to tone my ties down, and "maybe get some polyester." (My ties were better then management's). I've also been management, and was asked to tone it down. (I will admit when I was a waitress, I did get told by my clients they needed to tip me less when I dressed that well.) [huh]

Without having been in the place, and I may not be of popular opinon here (and barring what your boss says), if you go too far the dressy way you may wind up with problems with your coworkers for being a snob. (Point I never cared. I didn't hang out with anyone I have ever worked with. Servers are largely barflies.) But it can cause you some trouble with them, if you're so inclined to care. Bosses may also get the wrong impression of you (rather then a positive one) and not being a hard worker, but along the lines of vanity. Also if you look too different, customers may be confused as to if you work there (and trust me, most don't look for a name tag).

So, for me, I don't care. I work at Waffle House sometimes as a relief waitress, and I go in in skirts and tailored tops (which they don't have. I remade the one they gave me) or tailored pants. I can assure you I get a lot of flak all round, from my cooks and fellow servers, to the general manager and the district manager, because I don't go in in bleached stained clothes, clothes that have been ironed and starched and I *gasp* actually do my hair and wear makeup. I'm considered a snob, and I get spoken to maybe twice out of the whole night (which is "Do you want A or B sidework?" and "I'm going for smokes, will you watch my section?")

Jovan

Suspended
Hmm. It appears whoever I saw before must have been a manager. Short sleeve button down collar shirts only. :-/ And good luck finding any here in 100% cotton.

mister7

Familiar Face
regards short sleeves with tie

"The short sleeved dress shirt doesn't exist. The short sleeved shirt does. I think they look fine tucked into pants during the summer or in hot climes, but I will never willingly wear one with a tie."

You would never have cut the mustard at NASA in the 60s buddy!

Milu

Familiar Face
mister7 said:
"The short sleeved dress shirt doesn't exist. The short sleeved shirt does. I think they look fine tucked into pants during the summer or in hot climes, but I will never willingly wear one with a tie."

You would never have cut the mustard at NASA in the 60s buddy!

A short sleeved shirt with a tie is an obscenity!

That they were common at NASA in the 60s is surely just another reason not to wear one:p

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You know, I've had a similar experience. I work in an office that allows casual dress code (with some obvious exceptions).

I used to come in wearing whatever I found on the floor because that's what my coworkers did. In fact, my manager and his manager rarely wore anything above a button down collar and cotton slacks. Really nothing to shake a stick at.

So one day, I came in with some polished Florsheims, gold cufflinks, Egyptian cotton shirt, silk tie and blazer (and all the other happy accompaniments) and people's jaws dropped. I did this for months. And this was during a frigid Iowa winter so I was often in my long overcoat with a Homburg.

I've since gone back to the casual dress because I soon realized after months of this "behavior" that I was quickly becoming the ire of not just the department, but the company. I was receiving mystery complaints about my work; I was often pulled aside with concerns that lead nowhere.

I'm not normally intimidated, especially when it comes to how I like to dress, but when you're paying a hefty mortgage, soemtimes you have to give in to the bossman. [huh]

mister7

Familiar Face
You sayin these guys aren't classic?

After all that bad rappin I thought I'd better get a photo posted up. Never tried it before but here goes.

nasa60s.gif
[/IMG]

mister7

Familiar Face
Gordo!

The dude in the above photo in the loud shirt is none other than Gordon Cooper. The astronauts all favored bold, bright prints. Gordo's ashes were just shot into space aboard a small commercial rocket from Las Cruces NM. Mick Doohan (Scotty from Star Trek) also took the ride. Their wives pushed the launch button.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
mister7 said:
The dude in the above photo in the loud shirt is none other than Gordon Cooper. The astronauts all favored bold, bright prints. Gordo's ashes were just shot into space aboard a small commercial rocket from Las Cruces NM. Mick Doohan (Scotty from Star Trek) also took the ride. Their wives pushed the launch button.

Wooo for space geeks....I assume you have a fondness for this topic?

:eusa_clap

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
I still think the guy in the short sleeves with tie looks dorky. [huh] I love the skinny ties of course. :)

Much like book covers...some of the dorky looking covers have the best plots...

Those short sleeved dudes have done a lot for science....and at great personal sacrifice....trust me...even office folks on space programs....well we are quite lucky they had any time at all to make sure the science genes were passed on to their kids.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles