Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retro & Vintage Lifestyle Magazines

MizzAlice

New in Town
Are there any magazines out there specifically geared to the vintage lifestyle? I've scoured everywhere and the only ones I've been able to locate are Tiki, Reminisce, and Chap. Any assistance is appreiciated.

Thanks!

Mizz A

Edward

Bartender
A relative newcomer in the UK (I'm awaiting my first copy arriving...) is Milkcow - www.milkcow.co.uk. The website proclaims it to be about [thirties and forties] [EDIT: Typo - this should read 'forties and fifties'], though it seems to have a more rockabilly / hot rodding / tattoos / noveau-burlesque bias, so I should expect it's not necessarily one for the vintage purist.

There's another new one on the UK scene that I sa advertised on Facebook, but while the content looked good, I was put off by the fact that it's online only, and subscription, reading through the marketing speak, buys you access to it online rather than anything more tangible (I'd even have been tempted, for the introductory price of about eight quid / fourteen dollarsish, to have given it a shot if it was a pdf file I could download, but it sounds as if it's web only.... not for me).

The Chap I see you're aware of... I like it a lot as it speaks to a vintage scene but does it with humour, and is as much about living in a manner perceived to be rather eccentric by contemporary society as anything else. Celebrates the outsider, if you like, but in a way that truly values individualism.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Life magazine is debuting today, I think.

http://www.vintagelifemagazine.com/

It's based somewhere in England. I think it's digital only, but am not certain about that. I took a flyer by subscribing and taking out an ad for Cladrite Radio in the first issue.

I just received notice that the first issue is available to me, but I'm not sure if non-subscribers can get a sneak peek.

This description is from their web site:

Vintage Life Magazine is a magazine aimed at revisiting and rekindling the wonderful years gone by - bringing those memories alive again! From style and fashion, hair and make-up to house and home, toys and collectables to music and film, everything great about the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s through to the 70s - all in one great magazine!

With a wide collection of experts sharing their knowledge and many featured articles each issue, VLM really puts you in touch with memories past and brings them alive all over again. Concentrating on the 1920s, through to the 1970s, VLM really does cover YOUR past. Let us take you down memory lane to revisit those cherished times. Not only do we look at the past, but VLM is full of how you can recreate styles and more, today in the present!​

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Milkcow is very 50s/rockabilly orientated at the moment, although they're trying to push it more in a 40s direction. We shall see! There is also Peek Magazine, which is aimed at men and women, but features a lot of ladies in stockings! lol

Edward

Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:
Milkcow is very 50s/rockabilly orientated at the moment, although they're trying to push it more in a 40s direction. We shall see!

Seems to me that, at least currently, the fifties is the big business one, really - it'd be hard to catch a big enough audience aiming for the forties market alone (at least outsdie of the re-enacting thing). I may be wrong, but.... It's logical, though, for an early-fifties, rockabilly thing to incorporate some late forties stuff, what with the roots of that whole hot rodding, music, tattoos, burlesque scene.... I do think that a lot of the popularity of the forties stuff and often earlier at present relates directly to the noveau burlesque movement (itself, I would argue, more a dieselpunk thing than a strictly period approach, but that's a whole nother debate about the nature of that specific scene). It was discovering modern burlesque that was a big part of my own development of an interest in vintage a few years ago. I'll be interested to see how this one develops.... Already, it's a good start.

There is also Peek Magazine, which is aimed at men and women, but features a lot of ladies in stockings! lol

Works for me! ;)

Vintage Life Magazine - yes, that's the online one I was thinking of above. It looks to be web only. Backward of me as it might be, I'm just disinterested in paying for content that isn't available in hard copy (I never buy downloads either, just CDs..... well.... not unless it's part of an anti-Simon Cowell guerilla campaign.... lol ). I'd be curious to know if they do start doing it in a downloadable pdf, but not if it's web only (as seemed to be the case, at least on my reading of the site). The content certainly does look good.

ETA: Thhe first issue is online with, it seems, all content available. I find it a bit clumsy to navigate, and, as I say, the subscription rather than buying content model leaves me cold, but it certainly looks promising for those who can get past that.

It is interesting to see the rise of these sorts of publications.... if only it would lead to wider availability of reproduction clothing for men. Rockabilly gear is all very well, but it's limited, typically casual, often more a modern version thereof than true vintage style..... What we really need is Vivienne of Holloway to start up a line of menswear. (I wish!).

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
^ Vintage Life Magazine now available in print - just bought my wife a subscription for her birthday.

I've bought the last two Mens File magazines - http://www.mensfile.com/

Again, not quite for anyone after a specific period but some very good articles and photography.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
ATOMIC RANCH is a great quarterly lifestyle/decor magazine focusing on post-war (mid-century modern) style. I have the last five of six issues and am trying to find every back issue I can.

My wife and I just moved into a new house that we are having a blast decorating mid-century style.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I'll second the Atomic Ranch recommendation if you're into mid-century modern. Great magazine, though for some reason, none of the bookstores near me carry it these days. There's also Bachelor Pad magazine, which looks like it would be a fun read.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I design and co-edit a short-run vintage lifestyle magazine called ERA, here in the UK. We did a short taster issue last year, which you can read online at our website www.eramagazine.co.uk but we have our first issue proper coming out in August - approx 96 pages including articles on travel, photography, lucite handbags, museums, the impact of the New Look in post-war britain, WWII food and rationing, a history of greyhound racing, exhibitions, vintage fairs and events. We have rather a 40s-50s bent at the moment but we're hoping to expand our timescale when we have more writers on board. We don't have full distribution yet but it will be available to buy direct from our website as well as at various events around the UK.

Foofoogal

Banned
Vintage Magazine ?

I just took part in an ad with the new Vintage Life magazine from the UK.

When I received mine I thought they needed one here in the USA.
Started looking around and completely felt like a dunce when I saw there is one connected to the Fedora Lounge called http://www.atomicmag.com/

I know since being a dealer online since 2002 I have run across this magazine but never put 2 and 2 together. :eusa_doh:
published from 1999 to 2003

http://www.retroradar.com/

I guess my ? is does these sites now have a magazine or is there a similar one like the Vintage Life on this side of the pond if I ever was inclined to advertise in it?

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Atomic is now defunct.
I personally know the former editor of Atomic who now hosts RetroRadar, and her husband. They run a web site devoloping enterprise, and don't have much time these days for revamping RetroRadar.
They both are early members here, Big-T and The Bingstress.
It so happens that they are the ones who brought me here lol lol lol
Incidentally, The Bingstress also is aquainted with MK, the founder of FL, so Atomic and RetroRadar are all sort of connected :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails