Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Return of the Broad Brimmed Hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Yeah, I think Ford was stretching to connect it to an 1880s cavalry campaign hat, however.
In the published military regulations, what you see is only a reference to the model on display and to the construction, perhaps references to the venting. What is NOT included in the regs is a detail about creasing.

Of course at this late date, who knows why Ford ... or Fonda or some screen writer ... used that term?
But if you notice, John Ford did like fedoras that were pinched in front and rear. Look at the one that John Wayne wears in The Quiet Man ... there are pictures of Ford from that same era wearing that type ... brim down all the way around and crown pinched in front and back .... some of them seem identical coming and going.

Sam

From what I can remember the Fedora / Alpine (Center) crease was US military regulation. I think RLK's thread on the origins of the Fedora should be made a sticky but not everyone took kindly to the facts presented.

Last edited:
I can never think of a trilby without a vision of Arthur Daley!
1220629431_webek-O.jpg

His brim was quite small.
Wiki
Minder a TV show in Britain with George Cole as Arthur Daley, a socially ambitious but highly unscrupulous importer-exporter, wholesaler, used-car salesman, and anything else from which there was money to be made whether inside the law or not.

On the good side at least they are discussing the concept of brim size.
In the picture it looks like all of the hats have that modern tapered crown.
Here where the controversy comes in--- in the threads posted by all of the non-experts we have seen pictures and descriptions of vintage hats and recreations of vintage designs that have crowns that exhibit little or no taper. Do you consider taper to be a highly desirable feature or do you stay away from it.

Taper is not considered indicative of a bias related to any elitist attitudes based on socio-economics, age, religion, ethnicity, IQ or as a political statement.

I like little to no taper which is not to be considered to mean that those that do are in any way deficient.:eeek:

Also in case Lefty is monitoring this I'd like to add how sorry I am to have so rudely left out listing that there was no bias based on gender or sexual orientation. Just in case anybody might get offended.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Wiki
Minder a TV show in Britain with George Cole as Arthur Daley, a socially ambitious but highly unscrupulous importer-exporter, wholesaler, used-car salesman, and anything else from which there was money to be made whether inside the law or not.

One of the best shows ever!
And just like anything else that I might want to watch, not available on NetFlix Streaming.

Note that Arthur Daley's trilby, has everything considered evil in modern hats, tapered crown, stingy brim - it has it all :D

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Things I believe.
I believe Chuck Bobucks hat is nice.And its a fedora.
I believe the term stingy when used to describe a hats brim is not offenseive.
I believe that a wider brimmed hat is more effective in protecting ones head from the elements.
I believe a the word fedora is a cool word.
And I believe that if I had given up on somthing because my mother in law laughed at me,I never would have had a second date with the girl who is now my wife.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Things I believe.
I believe that a wider brimmed hat is more effective in protecting ones head from the elements.
And I believe that if I had given up on somthing because my mother in law laughed at me,I never would have had a second date with the girl who is now my wife.

Could be Hat Law. Write it down in the big hat book? :)

That fedora in my post, was the one remaining fur felt fedora in my dads closet before he passed at 91 yo. Unusual color as the ones I remember him wearing were typically black. I wanted to express that a fur felt hat with a shorter crown and narrow brim wasn't just worn by hipsters, artists, jazz musicians, kids, etc. These became a popular style of hat worn by a generation of men that lived through the time when fedoras were a staple.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
I don't find the term "stingy" is in any way a derogatory term.
With regards to hat taper many men could use some taper in their hat crowns to balance out their face.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Things I believe.
Tough to argue with that. Bravo:eusa_clap

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I wasn't a fan of stingy brims until I got one recently. I love my wide brims, but my new stingy is a lot of fun to wear. As for the term "stingy" being offensive, I've never used it in an offensive way, nor would I feel offended if someone called my hat stingy. I wish there was as cool a term for a wide brim fedora as there is for the short brims!

I wasn't a fan of stingy brims until I got one recently. I love my wide brims, but my new stingy is a lot of fun to wear. As for the term "stingy" being offensive, I've never used it in an offensive way, nor would I feel offended if someone called my hat stingy. I wish there was as cool a term for a wide brim fedora as there is for the short brims!

Generous Brim?
Magnanimous Brim?
Benevolent Brim?
Bountiful Brim?

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Just did a synonym search for "generous" and one that came up was "unstinted". I kinda like that. Other synonyms: benevolent, freehearted, big, bighearted, bounteous, bountiful, freehanded, handsome, giving, liberal, openhanded, lavish, munificent, overgenerous, too-generous, unsparing, unstinted, unstinting, unselfish

Just did a synonym search for "generous" and one that came up was "unstinted". I kinda like that. Other synonyms: benevolent, freehearted, big, bighearted, bounteous, bountiful, freehanded, handsome, giving, liberal, openhanded, lavish, munificent, overgenerous, too-generous, unsparing, unstinted, unstinting, unselfish

Great minds think alike. I kind of like Deputy Swoopy's "bodacious" though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy