Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Returning to suits. Is this Dior "glenn plaid"?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Recently, I discovered and all-out love for fine fur-felt fedoras. That discovery has led me to others, and to realizing that I just love dressing well in general. For years now I have been telling myself and people around me that I don't like ties, don't like to tuck my shirts in, etc. It's not true. I've always had a penchant for "the old world" in more ways than one; my longing for the days when men wore hats more commonly than not is a manifestation of that old-world orientation.

I also realized that I love suits. I haven't worn a suit in at least 15 years. I found a mint 15-year-old Christian Dior on eBay in _exactly_ my size, jacket and pants, no alterations necessary (well, we'll see when it gets here). Obviously this is a suit that wants plain/solid colored shirts and ties.

Is this pattern known as "glenn plaid"? From a distance it looks like a plain gray plaid:

dior3.jpg

Up close you can see there are colors woven in:

dior2b.jpg

I talked the seller down from what he was asking, but I have to admit, I paid too much for it. But the seller will let me return it if I'm not happy, and I got free shipping. What do you think?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Not sure yet

Baron Kurtz said:
Can't really tell. Does it look like this? (obviously yours has a coloured overcheck, but the Glen Urquhart plaid should have this as the base).

(picture)

bk

Haven't got the suit yet. So _that's_ glen plaid. Glen Urquhart, huh? Is he the one who created that pattern? Is the pattern in your picture all across the fabric in separate "swatches", each of a different pattern, like that? Does it sometimes come with colors woven in? I guess I've seen the name tied to jackets and suits but had a feeling in some cases the term was being used overly "liberally". The seller of this suit did not use the term Glen plaid. I just thought maybe that it is. I'll know more once I have it in my hands. Thanks for that pic.

Sorry that was a bit too close up. Here's a better one ...

glentanhunternavy9101-40-10.jpg

There is often a windowpane overcheck in various colours.

y from ask andy:

"Glen Plaid (actually Glenurquhart Plaid) -- Named after Glen Urquhard, a valley in Inverness Shire, Scotland is a boxlike design from horizontal and vertical stripes intersecting to form houndstooth sections crossing at right angles. Originally a fabric for country wear it’s now considered a sophisticated pattern acceptable for most business situations."

One of my favourite patterns.

bk

geo

This pattern is also called Prince of Wales check, because it was popularized by Edward VII (grandfather of Edward VIII, later Duke of Windsor) when he was the PoW.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
adamgottschalk said:
. It's not true. I've always had a penchant for "the old world" in more ways than one; my longing for the days when men wore hats more commonly than not is a manifestation of that old-world orientation.

Glad to see we have another one in the ranks of the well dressed. Too often I am called a conformist when wearing a tie and jacket... I'm usually told this by a man or woman dressed in a logo t-shirt and a pair of jeans and sneakers, same outfitas all his or her surrounding friends.

Time to make uniformity uniform again.

You look good in a hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24