Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ribbon/felt color combinations - same or contrast - your preferences

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I`m a same color man, but sometimes open to a contrast...

What`s your favorite combinations in same or contrast?

Let me kick off...

Blue goes well with blue...to give an elegant formal tone

December2009006.jpg

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like to have a similar tone sometimes. At this point, almost anything except a black ribbon will do. I'm a bit sick of black at the moment. Here is me in my brown Stetson.

11133_180059776091_758586091_278111.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Partial listing

Ribbon colors...well! (As Jack Benny would say!)

I have over 80 hats in my collection.

My preference is in the following order:

Dove Grey hat body/ SOLID BLACK band

Soft Chocolate body/ LIGHT BROWN band

Dark Grey / MIDNIGHT BLUE/NAVY BLUE band

Rust Vintage body / "SELF" Band (same material as body..yep!)

Black or Midnight Blue / BLACK ribbon, or DEEP BLUE band

Fedora

Vendor
thanks. Very generous of you. But, I don't sell em! I only do non Indy hats for good friends. As gifts. I leave the non Indy hats to Art Fawcett. Kinda like the agreement I have with my banker. I don't loan money, and he don't make hats!!lol So, I don't compete with my friend Art. He's the man! And the only guy I would use for a non Indy custom hat. Plus, I wouldn't want to be shown up!!!lol I compete with a now, rest in peace, Richard Swales of Indy fedora fame. That's great competition there!!! Easy to win when the guy is gone. ;) lol That is my little niche in the market. But, a very lucrative niche, nontheless. You just automatically get sales when you made the last film hat for Indy. The world is a very large place, so I have a great market to service. Thanks totally to the internet.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Fedora said:
thanks. Very generous of you. But, I don't sell em! I only do non Indy hats for good friends. As gifts. I leave the non Indy hats to Art Fawcett. Kinda like the agreement I have with my banker. I don't loan money, and he don't make hats!!lol So, I don't compete with my friend Art. He's the man! And the only guy I would use for a non Indy custom hat. Plus, I wouldn't want to be shown up!!!lol I compete with a now, rest in peace, Richard Swales of Indy fedora fame. That's great competition there!!! Easy to win when the guy is gone. ;) lol That is my little niche in the market. But, a very lucrative niche, nontheless. You just automatically get sales when you made the last film hat for Indy. The world is a very large place, so I have a great market to service. Thanks totally to the internet.

Classy.:eusa_clap But I still think that is a snazzy hat

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
D-guy, I always enjoy looking at your felt color / ribbon combos. You have done a great job of selecting them and they are all very well suited for the individual hats. You match the colors with the interesting ribbon treatments and bows, as well. :eusa_clap

I tend to like same color ribbons on my thin ribbon hats (holdover from my westerns) and some sort of contrast on the wider ribbon hats. It just depends on the individual hat and its overall look, as to the extent of the contrast for me. While I like to see the photos of the more daring ribbon combos like copper and some of the other, brighter colors, they do not seem right for my rather boring tastes. I also like the ribbons with the same color as the body but with a pattern woven in, like this Champ.

NewChamp008.jpg

This is a good thread topic!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I don't really have a preference, though I find it easier to coordinate a hat to my clothes if it's a same color combo. Bold contrasts are mainly my fun hats, though. I prefer them when I'm in a particularly good mood.

My favorite combination so far;

3820639973_a199e061fb.jpg

My wildest;

3820665485_cb87255b62.jpg

Silke

New in Town
Those two are awesomely amazing, especially the first one appeals to me. I wouldn't wear the second one myself but it would make me happy to see someone else wearing it for sure.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I prefer a bit of contrast

Like my Stetson Nostalgia, gray felt with a black ribbon:
IMG_4110.jpg

and my Temple, brown with a much darker brown ribbon:
IMG_4112.jpg

Fedora said:
I recently made this for a friend, and copied, felt and ribbon color, from one of my vintage hats. Sahara colored body with dark copper ribbon.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c225/fedora1951/saharaside.jpg

Took a bit of time to grow on me, but I love the combo today. Fedora

Here's another take on a Sahara-colored body ...

IMGP1531.jpg

IMGP1533.jpg

As I recall, the band and bow ribbon are a color the mill called "Khaki," and the edge binding "Tinto Tan." But again, that's trusting my increasingly feeble memory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran