Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ribbons and Bows

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I found an interesting article in a 1940 'True Confessions' magazine regarding hair adornments. The article recommended using unusual decorations for spring charm--flowers were apparently not the only option! The three photos which accompanied the article showed a butterfly barrette, a tropical bird, and a crocheted snood trimmed with bumble bees. Simply darling!

47b5d936b3127cce92afc922d40900000015108AatmbRq2ctP

47b5d936b3127cce92afcf36552e00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

D

Deleted member 259

I love the idea of something more than flowers - It is more unique than flowers, and a little more daring too.
My grandmother has a flat jeweled hummingbird attached to a hair-clip. It was her mothers, likely late 20s, and beautiful.
I'll see if I can get pictures.

swinggal

One Too Many
I have lots of different hair adornments as well as flowers. Big and small butterflies made out of feathers and silk, I have bows in all sizes and colours, a few marcasite clips which are lovely and snoods that my mum has crocheted for me from original patterns that I have found.

I wore the feather butterflies to a swing ball recently that had a tropical theme. One that i have i can almost wear as a hat it's so big...hehe

fifi

Familiar Face
Great topic! I too love to wear things other than flowers in my hair. I turned a Mah Jong tile into a barrette, though that's kind of heavy for my fine hair. Sure is cute, though! In the fall I love to wear leaves in autumn colors, and I have sparkly barrettes in the shape of guitars, butterflies, etc. It's fun to break out from tradition and to find new ways to accessorize!

MissTayva

I used to have flowers with bees on them :)

Thanks for posting that! I'm getting tired of having flowers all of the time.
I think bows look overly juvenille on me... it's just silly!

I actually found a gal online that sells feather hairpieces and I think I'm going to have her make an entire costume for a photoshoot.
Here is her website if any of you are interested:
http://www.taissaladadesigns.com/

fifi

Familiar Face
Woweewowwow! I nearly had a heart attack there. Feathers everywhere! When I was young I wanted to be a Vegas showgirl or a Rockette (heck, even a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader), just to wear feathers and rhinestones and to dance in high heels. That's a great site. I'd probably wear so many at once that people would think I was a Muppet!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
From my 1943 "Hats Hairdos and Makeup" booklet by Colette (which I recently found while doing some packing):

"If you like hair ornaments--Do wear gardenias, bows, combs until thirty; combs and ostrich at forty; a wisp of tulle at fifty."

Those feather hairpieces as amazing, MissTayva! I've always had a thing for feathers and would become a showgirl just for the great costumes!

dollfaced

Familiar Face
I read in a 1950's book about how woman would ad strips of hair in different shades then there own hair for example a braided hair piece in auburn or a reddish shade worn as a head band for a girl with black hair or a brunette sounds wierd but i tryed it and it does look very flattering.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MissTayva said:
I used to have flowers with bees on them :)

Thanks for posting that! I'm getting tired of having flowers all of the time.
I think bows look overly juvenille on me... it's just silly!

I actually found a gal online that sells feather hairpieces and I think I'm going to have her make an entire costume for a photoshoot.
Here is her website if any of you are interested:
http://www.taissaladadesigns.com/
What nice pictures, I bumblebees are such a cute idea for a hair decoration.
Wow, those feathers are incredible.
I really like the idea of adorning the hair. It just adds to the elegance of an outfit, if it's done right.
I found this website, she makes pretty butterflies, which I really like to wear in my hair. Adds a nice change. She also has a lot of pretty flowers. Check out her catalog, she has a pretty big selection and also makes pretty decorated snoods.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I like the idea of something other than flowers. Reminds me of that thread about wearing flowers in your hair in the winter.

Fifi, I love the mah jong tile idea, but I could see how that could be heavy. A friend of mine used to take vintage pins that she would find at thift stores and turn them into barrettes. I particularly liked the rhinestones, it's especially flattering at night--picks up the light so nicely.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Dottie said:
I like the idea of something other than flowers. Reminds me of that thread about wearing flowers in your hair in the winter.

Fifi, I love the mah jong tile idea, but I could see how that could be heavy. A friend of mine used to take vintage pins that she would find at thift stores and turn them into barrettes. I particularly liked the rhinestones, it's especially flattering at night--picks up the light so nicely.

I take my larger brooches and turn them into barettes or pin them to a head scarf Im wearing all the time :) Its a good way to get use out of larger jewelry pieces.

LD

Shimmy Sally

Those are nice.
I have metal butterfly clips my friend Michale gave me ages ago. I'll have to post pix of my decorative clips, combs, bows, snoods, veiled hats if I ever have time to get everything photographed. I have some great matching jewelry sets that included hair ornaments.
There is a gal in town (will be moving to Cali soon) who makes skullerfly hair clips. Not my style but here is the link. She makes some fun jewelry: http://www.lucky-11.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff